“Lovely meal, not very busy though” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 125 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Italian, Swiss
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“Lovely meal, not very busy though”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We enjoyed a very nice meal her, good variety on the menu (good Italian/Swiss fusion). Staff (Caroline) was very attentive and helped made it a great night. The homemade ice team was the best I have ever tasted!! Hazelnut And chocolate. Yum!! Only downside was that it was fairly empty so not much atmosphere, I am sure this is not the case every night. We would return here.

Visited September 2013

Irvine, California
“Swiss-Italian now you have to try that !!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Being Italian myself. I had my doubts, Swiss-Italian, I couldn't image what that would be like ???
But low and behold they pulled it off. We were told by the owner of the B & B we were staying at that this was a restaurant worth trying and she was right. We had the ravioli and the spaghetti and it was great. The bread was wonderful as well. The dessert (swiss of course ) was out of sight, yum yum. The waiter was a ball and we had lots of laughs. We ALSO had an engaging conversation we the people eating next to us. The place is just a short distance from the main shopping area of town and worth the walk. but we drove. Give it a try. This was one Italian and his friend, who is also Italian, really enjoyed the dining experience, as did our wives.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mesa, Arizona
“Late night fondue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

not a lot of other guests when we went. Last minute thought for a late night dessert. Had the chocolate desert fondue with fruit. Great choice.

Visited September 2013
burlingame
“No Way Jose”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Hubby is Italian so we decided to give Ticino a shot. I had chicken, which was okay. Hubby had veal, which was too chewy to eat. There was a large Asian tour group, so all the waiters focus was on serving them. Many others came so the restaurant was full. Ordered a walnut pie but it was so hard with solid walnuts that I couldn't eat it. When the bill came, I was charged for the pie. Asked the waitress to take it off the bill and she said no one had ever complained. So she sent someone else over and he agreed to remove the charge. Very unpleasant experience.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
La Palma, California
“Just ok, somewhat disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had dined at Ticino during a previous visit to Banff about 8 years ago. We were in the mood for fondue so we decided to stop by for dinner again on this trip. Unfortunately I have to say that we were a bit disappointed. It was not nearly as good as we remembered it to be.

When we arrived, it was a bit before 7 PM and the place was nearly empty. They asked if we had a reservation but it wasn't a problem when we didn't - they still seated us right away. The first "problem" we encountered was there was no kids' menu, and we were traveling with our 7-year old daughter. It's not unusual for "nicer" restaurants to not have a kids' menu - we run into that all the time and can usually work around that with little trouble. Most restaurants can work with you and come up with something for the kids. However, this one was not exactly accommodating. We were pretty much told that what was on the menu was exactly what was available. Our daughter ended up ordering an appetizer ravioli. Fortunately she wasn't particularly hungry that evening so it worked out fine, but it could have easily evolved into a bigger problem had she had her normal appetite.

A couple things irked my wife and I on this visit. First of all, they seemed to be woefully understaffed. The "emptiness" of the place quickly ended when a tour bus full of people arrived on the doorstep. Suddenly there wasn't an empty table to be found - or a waitress. Our service very quickly went from mediocre to bad. Our waitress "forgot" to bring my daughter's drink, not once or twice, but three times! After reminding her twice her drink finally showed up, but that time the three of us were just about done with our meals and ready to leave. On top of that, they charge $3.00 if you want a refill of your bread basket. I've never seen a full-service restaurant before that charges extra for more dinner rolls! Finally, they automatically added 18% gratuity to the bill, so you don't even have a chance to let your tip reflect the poor quality of the service.

All that being said, the food was "ok" but not spectacular as we remembered it from our last visit. We had the classic cheese fondue which was fine, but I can make a better fondue than that at home for a lot less money. That, combined with the less-than-stellar service, probably means we won't be making a repeat visit the next time we vacation in Banff.

• Visited August 2013