“A Little too Noisy for Fine Dining” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Terrace

The Terrace
222 Lynx St (Banff Park Lodge Resort Hotel), Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
403-762-4433
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Terrace is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 122 restaurants in Banff
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wolf St
Edmonton, Canada
“A Little too Noisy for Fine Dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

When staying at a full service hotel like the Banff Park Lodge, it’s always great to eat at to eat at a Fining Dining Restaurant such as the Terrace, especially if its rated #5 in Trip Advisor! I was looking forward to this dinner as it was Valentine’s Day. Upon calling early, I understood that the restaurant was fully booked for Valentine’s Day, and it was Chris at the restaurant that called and said that there was room for my husband and I at 6pm. To our surprise when we arrived, the restaurant was empty except for one other table! We understood that there was a large party at 7:30 but we wondered where everybody else was! I know from the Hospitality Industry, that Open Table, allows people to make reservations, but many don’t show up or cancel.

We were seated close to the entrance of the dining room and we looked outward toward the lounge. Now the food was excellent, I ordered off the Valentine’s Day menu. I had the Fennel & Beet Salad, which was really yummy and the Alberta AAA tenderloin. My husband enjoyed his meal as well. He also ordered a house salad which was not on the menu, and with a smile and no complaints he received it. In the end we were too full to order dessert, but the chef sent out a complimentary plate of chocolates which were delicious as well! The service was wonderful!

The only thing that was lost was a bit of the ambience of fine dining. Being seated in the dining room, but facing toward the lounge, listening to people laughing, drinking and talking on their phones and ordering of the lounge menu the ambience of fine dining is lost. You don’t really feel like you are in a fine dining establishment. Not only is good food, and good service important, but the ambience too.

If you go to this restaurant I suggest requesting a seat at the far end, away from the entrance and lounge. This would give you more of the fine dining feel. I would suggest to management of finding some sort of tasteful physical division (a decorated wall) that can be rolled to different positions in the restaurant or out toward the lounge if you need to expand for larger parties. This would give you more separation of the Lounge from the restaurant, a sound barrier from the noise of the lounge and the hall/lobby, and more ambience of fine dining.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

87% Recommend
Red Deer, Canada
“Best Mojito in Banff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stopped at the Terrace Lounge for a few mojitos on a Saturday afternoon. Mine was made with mint and my husband's was made with basil. Kelly was our server/drink maker and her mojitos were excellent.

We came back in the evening for the tasting menu with wine compliment. Sara was our server and she has a pleasant way about her and explained each course as it came out.

Overall it was a pleasurable experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Terrace M, Owner at The Terrace, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
We are so glad you enjoyed your day/night with us and thank you for your review. We hope to see you again, and make your next visit just as pleasurable.
Calgary, Canada
“No Cell Phones Please”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We had an excellent meal on February 13th - to avoid the Valentines' Day Madness.
We ordered the Tasting Menu which was a real bargain at $54 excluding wine pairing. There were 5 courses: smoked char, quail with parsnip puree, blood orange granita, lamb duo, and dessert trio. Only the lamb duo was ordinary compared to the other 4 outstanding and original courses. There being only 3 tables occupied, the service was excellent.
The only downside as the jerk talking his whole dinner at full volume on his bluetooth to his absent wife about his business day.
I asked the waitress if there was anything she could do to shut him up or quiet him down. But she did/could not do anything. Pity the poor couple next to him.
Management should have stepped in.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, Canada
“Great dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Everything we tried here was fantastic. Service was also great. We would return. This is a nice enough restaurant to require a dress code, which would be nice since it seems that some people from the attached hotel show up in shabby jeans.

Jackson, Wyoming
“Food might be good but they are not serving their customers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

The bar and the dining room are connected - open room, separated by a 1/2 wall. I wanted to order off the dining room menu and sit it the bar. They said that was not possible so I said I would move 5 feet and sit in the restaurant only to be told that they had a party of 20 that was 1/2 through their meal and I couldn't be seated for 30-40 minutes. There were at least 7 open tables. The menu looked great and they had great reviews but I left disappointed.

I also asked as a hotel guest if I could order room service from the Terrace menu and was told no.

• Visited January 2014