“Very good.... but not great.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican, International, Dessert, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Ingersoll, Ontario
“Very good.... but not great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2015 NEW

I was recently on vacation in Banff from Ontario and I always enjoy a meal at Magpie & Stump when I get to town. The location is perfect. The setting is rustic and fun. The service was fine, but I cant say that there was anything outstanding about it. The waitress was a bit distracted and left us with the feeling that she was counting the minutes to end of shift. The menu has changed since I was here last and there seems to be less choice this time. On this trip we went here twice. The first visit we started with chips and house made salsa. We were with friends and we all ordered the beef Chimichanga. The portion was terrific, it tasted fresh and was very filling. It was busy being the long weekend but service didn’t suffer and we didn’t wait that long for a table. The second meal was only my boyfriend and myself. We shared a bowl of the chicken soup, which was very good, although I miss the old chicken and lime soup that used to be on the menu. He ordered tacos, both beef & chicken. The chicken was not bad, the beef was better. They were a little on the boring side, and light on taco fillings. It left you wondering what you were paying for as the sides were served in such small side bowls. I ordered the chicken mole enchilada. It was tasty buy was served with crushed peanuts on top. Honestly they were an unnecessary addition and left me feeling confused with every bite. Otherwise, they were good. Overall the food was good, but I have had better. Skip the trendy stuff and focus more on the flavour. I am still a fan (although I was happier there in past visits), and will check in on my next trip …..

• Visited May 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Gilbert, Arizona
“Excellent Bison Burrito in Cool, Casual Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2015 NEW

We stopped by for lunch, and we all enjoyed the food, service, and atmosphere of Old Banff charm. The Banffo Burrito - with ground bison and chimichurri - was outstanding and worth the visit alone.

• Visited May 2015
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“do not waste your money here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2015 NEW

food was dry and garbage. would nit eat here again. disappointed as it was are only bad dinning in banff thur the whole week. 0 stars.

Toronto, Ontario
“Nachos to share”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2015

We stopped in for an afternoon drink and a bite to share on our first day in Banff on the recommendation from a couple we met on our flight. The service was good, the location on Caribou convenient and the nachos were very tasty, drier than I'm used to, but very cheesy and yummy pulled pork. Ask for the jalapenos on the side, they are generous with the heat.

Visited May 2015
“Middle of the road mexican”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2015

The exterior of the building mislead me to expect something different. But none the less I ordered the fajitas. The food was nothing spectacular.

Visited May 2015