“Excellent Fine Dining in Banff” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Beaujolais is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 121 restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Banff Avenue
Transit: Across from Restauran on Banff Avenu & Buffalo Street
Danville, CA
“Excellent Fine Dining in Banff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014 NEW

Excellent restaurant in a very nice setting. Food and service outstanding. Wife had the osso buco bone marrow and veal scallopine. I had the filet Bernaise and we shared profiteroles for desert. Highly recommended.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Great Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 NEW via mobile

Well, it's a pleasure to find a fine dining experience in the remoter parts of Canada.
For our first course we both chose a salmon taster dish which was absoutely superb.  Beautifully prepared salmon and beautifully presented.  For our main courses,  OH chose a rack of lamb and I went with a pepporcorn steak (New York style).  These dishes were less impressive.  OH thought his lamb was cooked well enough, but he'd had better before.  My steak was cooked very much at the medium end of medium rare, which I can live with, but I did find it very salty.  I mentioned this to the waiter, but acknowledged that perhaps Canadian tastes are for saltier dishes than I like (Based on two meals before).  He came back a while later saying that he had discussed it with the chef and they thought that I must be tasting the peppercorns not salt.  I though that this was really poor - peppercorn sauce is hardly unusual, so of course I know what it tastes like and I also know what an over-salted dish tastes like.
We had a glass of champagne with our salmon - its a little pricey by the glass, but it is champage and there is a prosecco option if you're not fussy about having the real thing. The wine selection is absolutely superb and we had a very nice 2009 Pomerol.
The decor is stylish and the display cabinet with the bottles of Petrusse and Mouton Rothschild is awesome.

Visited June 2014
Springfield, Virginia
“A Nice Change of Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

After trying pub food and Mexican food, we were ready for a change. Le Beaujolais was an excellent change. My husband had the caprese salad and I had scallops and prawn tail for starters. Then we had halibut and veal in a mushroom cream sauce both accompanied by wines suggested by the head waiter. They tasted wonderful. We had to hurry off to a concert so they brought the check quickly when we asked. You'll enjoy this great Banff restaurant.

Visited July 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“French Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

My friends and I went for a late lunch and we were impressed. I had the croque Madame, my friends had the Funghi Parisienne and the goat cheese salad. Our server was attentive and efficient. We did wait 30 minutes for our food to come out but it was well worth the wait. Everything was delicious. The restaurant is situated upstairs on a corner overlooking a park. We were seated at a window and enjoyed the view. The check was a splurge but we are on vacation.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ahwatukee, Arizona, United States
“A Restaurant with a View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Banff has an assortment of interesting restaurants, and although a number of them looked good, the idea of French cooking was really appealing so we went to Le Beaujolais in the heart of downtown Banff. Initially I was concerned because many of the reviews on this restaurant were mixed, sort of like The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still, one of the excitements of dining is the discovery, so we took our chance and went.

Le Beaujolais has been in Banff for so many years, owned and operated by a Swiss couple. The restaurant is beautiful, located on a second floor of a building with windows all around. Our white table cloth was crisp and the table well appointed. We enjoyed being right next to a window from which we could observe both mountains and people below.

Ellie, our attractive server that evening was excellent and she made our evening enjoyable. Our refreshment orders were taken quickly and my wife enjoyed her Cosmopolitan. My dry gin martini was sort of a surprise, in that it was not well mixed (heavy on vermouth and lite on gin) besides being the smallest martini I have ever been served.

My wife and I had the same starter and entrée. We began with Coeur de Laitue which was a beautiful salad of Bibb lettuce with a champagne dressing with herbs. I increasingly like the use of Bibb lettuce in restaurant salads and I rank the salad on the dressing. This dressing was perfect. The price of the salad was somewhat expensive, although that seems to be the norm through the Banff restaurant scene.

The Veal Scaloppini was done Zurichoise style, reflected by the heritage of the owners. The veal was cut into small pieces, whereas I prefer the American style of slicing versus cutting. The sauce, which included mushrooms, was a Champignons crème sauce. The sauce can make or break a dining experience. This sauce was excellent. The veal was accompanied with a variety of vegetables, of which the carrots were most noteworthy, as well as with Swiss Rosti made with Yukon Gold potatoes.

We enjoyed the available wines by the glass and we passed on desert. We simply accomplished for which we came to this restaurant.

• Visited June 2014