“Something out of the ordinary!” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Update restaurant details
Ranked #46 of 120 restaurants in Banff
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Fondue, cooking done at table on hot stones. Absolutely the best interactive dining with great food. Exotic foods such as elk, bison, venison, alligator, rattlesnake--plus chicken and beef!
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Something out of the ordinary!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Living in Calgary & having been to Banff too many times to count this was one place we'd neer tried and had heard great things about from many others.

No# 1 recommendation - reservations!
No# 2 recommendation - earlier us better

Due to the nature of fondues and the eating an experience this is NOT a high volume high turnover establishment.

I booked a 6pm reservation for my partner's bday dinner on a Friday night. We didn't leave until around 9pm. When we left it was almost full up.

We went for the fondue dinner, sharing a soup & a salad, the veggie fondue, followed by one seafood & one Alberta game meat as our mains and finishing with the chocolate fondue.

The French onion soup was quite good. The selection on the meat and seafood was also great. The Ceasar salad was average and I found the chocolate a little to thinned out, but I'm being picky.

We left satisfied but not stuffed.
Our waiter was excellent - great personality and attention which is an art given how much they hustle to do a lot of the fondue set ups.

Not a cheap night out but worth a visit for something different & fun. Don't forget to throw in some prank table side calls for extra entertainment'.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

69% Recommend
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Fantastic Selection of Meat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We did have to wait a bit to get our table even though we had a reservation, but that’s to be expected at a place where it takes a couple hours to eat a meal.
The service was relatively prompt and out server was fantastic. We first thought on getting a bottle of wine, but after seeing Jackson Triggs (retail $10) being sold for $50 we stuck to beers and cocktails. The first course was decent, a large side salad and chicken tortellini soup. For the second course we opted for the vegetable fondue instead of the cheese due to food intolerances. It was heavily salted and the vegetables cooked really fast and over the course of our conversation they were almost reduced to mush. We ordered the exotic fondues, there was no rattlesnake so we had kangaroo instead. They had no problem switching out my shark for elk because I’m allergic. We cooked on hot rocks, which is a less greasy option than the hot oil. The lighting is dark to add to the ambiance, but it makes it hard to tell how your white meat is cooked which resulted in our frog legs and gater being over cooked and tough. The sauces were tasty though and the meat was fresh. We finished with the fruit and Toblerone fondue. It was fantastic! Overall the meal was really good, and we walked out stuffed. The decor is old and rustic and the walls are sticky with grease residue, and you will be too, so don’t wear clothes that can’t be washed easily. Definitely a must when you are visiting Banff.

• Visited January 2013
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Great experience, twice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

After reading the last couple of reviews that state poor and pushy service, and having just returned from Banff I thought I'd throw my experiences into the pot.
Firstly, I was in Banff for 2 weeks and ate out somewhere different every night, as I usually do.
This was the only place I went back to for a 2nd visit.
Both visits had different waiters, both waiters were excellent. Friendly, helpful, courteous and worth tipping. We don't always tip in England, it's just not the de facto way of things as it is in the US/Canada. Personally I tip in the UK if I have found the service to be more than adequate, which can be rare in the UK. It's also worth pointing out that the average portion size in US/Canada is much larger than in the UK, we brits tend not to gorge ourselves and then throw the excess food into a doggy bag just because we've paid for it. Fortunately.

This place has a unique atmosphere. Quite dimly lit, lively and full of smells. First waiter explained that it used to be a swingers club back in the 70's which is why there is a phone at each table which you can use to call a different table to see if they're up for naughtiness. I didn't use it, and nobody called me either. I was with my girlfriend so it's probably just as well, although she thought it'd be fun to call someone else. Looked around, not happening.

No starters, too risky if you want to try desert.
Had the beef/chicken fondue both times. Roughly 10 chunks of beef and 6 chunks of chicken each. Potato rostis are good, rice, warm bread. Very nice platter of dips to try.
First time used hot stones, second time used hot oil and a stone for rostis/beef.
Had the ice cream fondue for 2 to share for desert, outstanding.
Half a bottle of a decent Pinot Noir, a couple of cokes and some water.

Meal was $97 + tip came to $120. about 24% tip I think, which is plenty.
For 2 of us, and we came away feeling full.

You can get more food for your money in Banff that's true, but for the whole experience and the fact there are so many flavours going on I didn't think it was poor value at all.

I suppose it comes down to personal preferences. Yes, my clothes smelt a bit the next day because I was wearing them as I was cooking my delicious food, so I washed them.

If you want as much food as you can get for your money then go to a steakhouse, doesn't matter which one, they're all pretty much the same.
If you want a bit of fun and flavour this place is great.

Would definately eat here again, can't say that about everywhere I went in Banff.

Apologies for long winded review but I think it's important to get a context here.
Just my opinion.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good food, terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I recently went to this restaurant in a group of 4. At first I was shocked at how expensive the food was (averaging 45$/person) but the food ended up being very good. The only problems were that their liquor was strongly pushed on our group. When we kept declining their offers at alcoholic beverages, the waiter we had seemed to "lose interest" in our group, failing to pick up older fondue plates, etc. this would have been understandable if we were not one of 3 small parties in the restaurant. What was truly appalling, was at the end when we were paying (paid desperately by 2 different people) when the first person paid their half of the bill, the waiter immediately pointed out that there was no tip left for him. (Because person 2 was including the tip). Instead of acting professional, he became extremely rude, telling person 1 to ring his credit card through again for a tip. Once declined and through trying to explain the situation, our friend had enough and decided to just tip him through his credit card again. As if this wasnt unprofessional enough, the waiter actually told our friend to tip him nearly 30$!
Our friend was immediately put on the spot and feeling uncomfortable, did it. This was the most unprofessional service I have ever gotten at a restaurant. I work in customer service and this disgusted. No waiter should ever ask for a tip, or be as rude and disrespectful as this man was. Yes, the food was good but it certainly was not worth the horrible end to our meal. I would not suggest going to this place. Simply because the waiters need a lesson in proper customer service.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Food was great, waiter ruined everything.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Me and 3 of my friends came here to eat. 2 of them got the 4 course meals, one got steak, and I had chicken fondue. The food was amazing, though the portions were skimpy (except the steak meal). Our waiter seemed like he had good intentions, but he kept pushing us to drink, one of us is only 17 and was still offered an alcoholic beverage. After our meal our waiter would not except the tip we tried giving him, and would not let us leave until we gave him a 25 dollar tip,on top of our 160 dollar meal. His attitude ruined EVERYTHING, and we have no intentions on returning.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere