“Great experience, twice.” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #45 of 128 Restaurants in Banff
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Fondue, cooking done at table on hot stones. Absolutely the best interactive dining with great food. Exotic foods such as elk, bison, venison, alligator, rattlesnake--plus chicken and beef!
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Great experience, twice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

After reading the last couple of reviews that state poor and pushy service, and having just returned from Banff I thought I'd throw my experiences into the pot.
Firstly, I was in Banff for 2 weeks and ate out somewhere different every night, as I usually do.
This was the only place I went back to for a 2nd visit.
Both visits had different waiters, both waiters were excellent. Friendly, helpful, courteous and worth tipping. We don't always tip in England, it's just not the de facto way of things as it is in the US/Canada. Personally I tip in the UK if I have found the service to be more than adequate, which can be rare in the UK. It's also worth pointing out that the average portion size in US/Canada is much larger than in the UK, we brits tend not to gorge ourselves and then throw the excess food into a doggy bag just because we've paid for it. Fortunately.

This place has a unique atmosphere. Quite dimly lit, lively and full of smells. First waiter explained that it used to be a swingers club back in the 70's which is why there is a phone at each table which you can use to call a different table to see if they're up for naughtiness. I didn't use it, and nobody called me either. I was with my girlfriend so it's probably just as well, although she thought it'd be fun to call someone else. Looked around, not happening.

No starters, too risky if you want to try desert.
Had the beef/chicken fondue both times. Roughly 10 chunks of beef and 6 chunks of chicken each. Potato rostis are good, rice, warm bread. Very nice platter of dips to try.
First time used hot stones, second time used hot oil and a stone for rostis/beef.
Had the ice cream fondue for 2 to share for desert, outstanding.
Half a bottle of a decent Pinot Noir, a couple of cokes and some water.

Meal was $97 + tip came to $120. about 24% tip I think, which is plenty.
For 2 of us, and we came away feeling full.

You can get more food for your money in Banff that's true, but for the whole experience and the fact there are so many flavours going on I didn't think it was poor value at all.

I suppose it comes down to personal preferences. Yes, my clothes smelt a bit the next day because I was wearing them as I was cooking my delicious food, so I washed them.

If you want as much food as you can get for your money then go to a steakhouse, doesn't matter which one, they're all pretty much the same.
If you want a bit of fun and flavour this place is great.

Would definately eat here again, can't say that about everywhere I went in Banff.

Apologies for long winded review but I think it's important to get a context here.
Just my opinion.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Good food, terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I recently went to this restaurant in a group of 4. At first I was shocked at how expensive the food was (averaging 45$/person) but the food ended up being very good. The only problems were that their liquor was strongly pushed on our group. When we kept declining their offers at alcoholic beverages, the waiter we had seemed to "lose interest" in our group, failing to pick up older fondue plates, etc. this would have been understandable if we were not one of 3 small parties in the restaurant. What was truly appalling, was at the end when we were paying (paid desperately by 2 different people) when the first person paid their half of the bill, the waiter immediately pointed out that there was no tip left for him. (Because person 2 was including the tip). Instead of acting professional, he became extremely rude, telling person 1 to ring his credit card through again for a tip. Once declined and through trying to explain the situation, our friend had enough and decided to just tip him through his credit card again. As if this wasnt unprofessional enough, the waiter actually told our friend to tip him nearly 30$!
Our friend was immediately put on the spot and feeling uncomfortable, did it. This was the most unprofessional service I have ever gotten at a restaurant. I work in customer service and this disgusted. No waiter should ever ask for a tip, or be as rude and disrespectful as this man was. Yes, the food was good but it certainly was not worth the horrible end to our meal. I would not suggest going to this place. Simply because the waiters need a lesson in proper customer service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Food was great, waiter ruined everything.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Me and 3 of my friends came here to eat. 2 of them got the 4 course meals, one got steak, and I had chicken fondue. The food was amazing, though the portions were skimpy (except the steak meal). Our waiter seemed like he had good intentions, but he kept pushing us to drink, one of us is only 17 and was still offered an alcoholic beverage. After our meal our waiter would not except the tip we tried giving him, and would not let us leave until we gave him a 25 dollar tip,on top of our 160 dollar meal. His attitude ruined EVERYTHING, and we have no intentions on returning.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Always perfect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My favourite reasturant in Canada. I have always said it is worth it to visit Alberta just to try this amazing place. Having loved it while on vacation, and now living in Alberta, I am sure to take every easterner that comes for a visit directly to the Grizzly House!

Whether you are dropping in for a quick fondue or making an evening out of it, you are sure to enjoy yourself. You cannot exit the front door without having the cheese fondue - make sure you add a side of rosti that comes topped with their amazing mushroom gravy!

For those spending the evening, you cannot go wrong doing the whole fondue experience. My boyfriend and I recently visited and had a 4-hour meal, complete with cheese foundue, included salad, main entree choice and of course, toblerone fondue to end! He had the exotic platter, which I recommend if you are feeling adventurous as it is most definitely an experience (and suprisingly tasty!). I stick with the chicken and beef duo, which is grade A meat and delectable. Use the hot oil fondue for the chicken (..think chicken wings) and the hot stone to cook your Alberta beef just the way you like it! Adding drinks (we like to start with cocktails, wine during the main meal and baileys on the rocks to finish), you're looking at over $200 CA, but it is worth it, well worth every penny.

I would do it again and again - and certainley plan to! Make sure to put the Grizzly House on the top of your list when visiting the beautiful Rockie Mountains in Banff, Alberta.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Great food, even my husband tried it and enjoyed it which is great for him! We tried the full fondue experience which I'd recommend. Pricey but worth it.

Visited December 2012