“Met expectations of a restaurant of this caliber.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Eden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 132 Restaurants in Banff
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 300 Mountain Avenue
Transit: Banff public transit service available to the hotel, please see link below for stops schedule. http://www.banff.ca/Assets/PDFs/Locals+PDF/Roam+Transit.pdf
Description: Our AAA Five Diamond award winning restaurant is an exquisite dining experience, offering French cuisine with regional accents. Combined with Eden's Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence and ALTO Award winning service, this restaurant provides each guest with the finest in dining, service and scenic views in Banff. Sommeliers are on staff to offer the best wine pairing to compliment the experience. Oct-May 6pm-9pm Wed-Sun June-Sept 6pm-9:30pm Daily Please check reservation for availability.
Minneapolis, MN
“Met expectations of a restaurant of this caliber.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

When I arrived in Banff I was pleasantly surprised to find that my hotel housed what is apparently the only AAA Five Diamond restaurant in Western Canada. This was perfect for my wife and I, as we'd been to a dozen Michelin-starred restaurants, including several two and three star spots like The French Laundry, as well as exceptional restaurants not in Michelin-reviewed regions. As such, I'm going to review this as compared to that international caliber of restaurant --not the family friendly spots that populate the rest of Banff. Overall, I'd say "very good" is appropriate for that elevated category of restaurant.

The food was very good: we dove into a four course meal--in addition to the chef's tasting menu, they offer two to four courses from appetizer-entree-cheese-dessert categories that you could select in any grouping (e.g. two appetizers, etc); we opted to go with one from each category. In a dining first for us, we were both disappointed by the amuse-bouche, which was based around a prawn. It was just dull, bland and uninspiring, which left us a little worried about the four course meal we'd signed up for! Thankfully this was an aberration. It was followed by a "tea course" that consisted of a lovely pear tea and bite-sized savory pastry selection. The breads were also good, alongside a solid selection of three butters (I leaned towards the goat butter). My first course was a foie gras dish that was as rich and flavored as it should be. I tried my companion's dill soup appetizer which impressed us both: it was served in a stemless martini glass with goat cheese at the bottom, and that glass sat on top of a bowl filled with aromatics that gave the entire dish a full sensory experience.

My main course featured sea bream that was just perfectly grilled. The flavor was wonderful, with the right charring flavor. The base had a nice foie gras based sauce with an less impressive vegetable base (it was hard to improve on the sea bream). My companion had a lamb dish that she raved about and I partially tasted: the lamb was done well, but the impressive piece were sausages made from sweetbreads, something I generally dislike, that were blended with other meats to make very palatable.

The cheese selection, from which each can pick three, is a good mix. I'm a bit of a cheese person so I avoided the ones I was familiar with and tried a mix of Canadian cheese that were all good and served attractively (though this is perhaps the least impressive course).

My dessert was called the "Chocolate Landscape" and came with a variety of tastes and flavors that satisfied this chocoholic: I was initially hesitant because the menu mentioned licorice (anise and similar flavors make me gag), but the server correctly pointed out that the flavor is only a hint, and one that blends well with the others. The dish had a selection of a coffee-flavored flan (the weakest part), along with pieces of chocolate, a sangria ice cream, a chocolate soil (mousse consistency) and a powdered chocolate that had the aforementioned licorice (without the flavor I dislike). Meanwhile my companion raved about the kulfi--but I was too enamored by my chocolate fix.

Other than the amuse-bouche, the only weak spot was cocktail mixology. Now I'm not going to take away too much for this, as the restaurant holds itself out as a wine specialist, complete with sommelier. Still, they do offer cocktails from the adjacent Larkspur bar and when I asked for a fairly well known cocktail they admitted they had to "look it up" and what came out wasn't up to snuff --still, the staff was happy to exchange it for another type that was competently mixed. I debated about not bringing this up, but the restaurant does hold itself out as being able to handle cocktails so I decided to include it.

The service was very good for this category. Due to evening engagements, we arrived just as it opened and I could sense the staff was was a mix of on top of their game to gradually revving into gear. I cannot complain about any aspect of it. The beverage server was very good about helping this cocktail connoisseur a proper drink, despite his specialty in wine (not sure if he was the actual sommelier). Our main server was also pleasant and quite conversant when we started talking about other exceptional restaurants. He became better as the meal went on, I think it's because they still were setting up aspects of the dining room when we arrived. Compared to the finest restaurants I've been to, the attention was just under the tip-top level.

The restaurant itself has commanding vistas of Mount Rundle, Cascade Mountain, and the valleys of the Banff area.

Eden is the jewel of the Rimrock hotel, where I stayed for five nights. I felt the hotel itself was barely 3.5 stars, but this restaurant met expectations and is worth visiting if you appreciate fine dining and are visiting Banff.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Brooklyn, New York
“Pathetic food. Wine pairing is nonsense.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

1.They don’t offer plates - but you must take 2-4 meal course, or chef special. My wife and I ordered 2 meals courses with wine pairing. For the appetizer I got boiled veal breast with chardonnay (veal was fat wine pair stupid). The main cause was a duck with grilled strawberries, nuts, and butter paired with pinot (OK). Appetizer was cheap fat piece of veal, yet well decorated. Needless to say it was disappointing. Entrée was OK but well far from French cooking. You need to preparer to have bizarre combination of food on your plate. Mostly food was uncooked cut, grilled and funny organized. Plates were made rather by busboy than a chef as I determined no talent at all. Wine pairing was a joke. It was about a testing (2 oz) amount of wine poured into your class twice during the dinner – so if you end up dinning with them DON’T pair your dinner with them. Their cirque with few meal course paired with wine end up expectedly high $$$ – I mean very high – well higher that they able to cook. Also lower your expectations about the view. At table for 2 one person looks at mountains another person at hotel wall. I booked the best table week in advance and was assured I have the best view – lie.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Banff, Canada
“An outstanding Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Last night my wife and I and two friends went to this five diamond restaurant and must admit that it deserves the rating it has. From the moment you walk into this dining room, you realize it is very special. The views are stunning; the settings immaculate and each and every one of the service staff are amazing. The presentation of the food is an art upon itself and although we each had four dishes, the portions were far from being overwhelming so we were able to leave without feeling stuffed. The wine list is unparalleled and we were able to spend five hours with our friends which seemed more like two or three as this is the type of place you come to dine. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for something really special. I guarantee you that you will not be disappointed.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Alberta, Canada
“The total experience matters”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We recently dined here with friends who were visiting the Canadian Rockies for the first time. As most of the other reviewers have stated already Eden strives to be in the ultra luxe, Michelin 2/3 star category with all that that implies: high prices, innovative presentations, high quality ingredients and alas, smallish portions. Add to that an elegant atmosphere, world class views, attentive service and an impressive wine list and you have the makings of a truly great dining experience. So, what's not to like. Well several things actually. First the food. I am all for trying exotic ingredients but their raison d'être has to be flavour otherwise why use them in the dish. My menu choices certainly had their share of interesting ingredients but I would hard pressed to say that they added anything to the taste. Second, the wine. We went with the wine pairings (which is always a safer bet in a restaurant like this) and indeed the selections offered paired well. However, the wines chosen by the chef were pretty low end bottles and hardly matched the lofty aim suggested on the menu. Finally, the service. Yes the wait staff was very attentive and explained all the dishes as they were presented but please explain to me why in a restaurant of this calibre the staff has to show up at the table in ill-fitting, dirty clothing. This kind of lapse can really detract from the total experience and at the prices asked the total experience really does matter.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Arguably the best dining experience we have had in Canada. Cuisine can be described as artistic and bold. Service spectacular. A gem!

• 5 of 5 stars Food