“Fun atmosphere and good food” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Update restaurant details
Ranked #3 of 120 restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
England
“Fun atmosphere and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Visited on Greek night and the place was rammed but managed to get one of the tables in the bar area. Service was very friendly and prompt. Calamari was good (not rubbery) and the 'Donair' tasty. My wife had the Greek salad and moussaka, both of which she enjoyed. Note the portions are large, after having such a big starter I struggled to finish my kebab. Enjoyed it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
New York, New York
“Delicious Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My 13 year old son and I took a chance on Balkan. There were plenty of restaurants to choose from but this place was crowded and I really liked the menu, which can be viewed before deciding to eat there. I am so glad that we close Balkan! The food was delicious and very fresh. Definitely get the side Greek salad. The menu says just Greek Salad, which I ordered, and the waitress asked if I wanted the "small", which was not an option on the menu. I was so grateful that she asked because the regular size is easily enough for 4 people! The "small" or side Greek salad was still plenty of food but it was great as a side dish. There was not a speck of food left on either of our plates. I recommend this restaurant!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maui
“Good Greek food in a beautiful venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We had two gyros and two beers and sat in the bar area at the window. The food was right on and the service was excellent. The decor is pretty upscale yet cozy.

Visited October 2012
Lethbridge, Canada
“Best Roast Lamb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

The Balkan has been a family-owned business since about 1984, with the decor updated since my last visit years ago. I had Arni Psito, the house specialty, a classic dish preceded by 2 small rolls with oil/balsamic vinegar "dip". The large lamb shank was "slow roasted" (don't they mean braised?) and served as it should be in an oblong dish with all the meat juices. Very tender and juicy. This is a meat-centric meal, with not a huge amount of accompanyment (rice, a halved roasted potato, some zuchini slices and red pepper strands), but who would want more with this amount of "rich" meat? For dessert, Galactobouriko, a pie-shaped custard between a top and bottom layer of filo, topped with honey and cinnamon. Not bad except the filo was hard to cut through. The staff were friendly and accomodated a table change with grace.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Worksop, United Kingdom
“True Greek food not so sure about the entertainment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Visited the Balkan during our stay in Banff. We love Greece and thought we try it out. The food was excellent and tasted just as good as any we have had in Greece, but then it is owned by a Greek so it should be. Staff as usual warm and friendly. We were there for the "Greek night" which turned out to be a belly dancer (Greek? not so sure?), plate smashing and getting the patrons up to do the usual "touristy" greek dancing. Despite this we had a lovely meal. Lovely memory of the Greek owner grinning from ear to ear when my husband wished him good night in Greek! If you want to be there for the Greek night make sure you prebook.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere