“The place to stay when in Banff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fox Hotel & Suites

You added Fox Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Fox Hotel & Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   461 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“The place to stay when in Banff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I wanted to surprise my girlfriend for her birthday with a last minute trip to Banff. The Fox was highly recommended to me by friends and so I booked a premium suite, F402, for this special occasion. When we arrived, the front desk staff were extremely friendly & professional. We arrived early at 11:15am went by the hotel for some sightseeing / shopping info. They were very knowledgeable! Check-in is at 3pm but I was asked to leave my cell number for a call when the room was ready. So off we went. About 20 minutes later, we got a call saying our room was ready and we could definitely check in early! Banff itself is small so we were literally 5 minutes away, so we went back. The suite was more than I expected - huge and 2 levels with a balcony facing tunnel mountain. It was loaded with a mini fridge, microwave, coffee machine, cutlery and it had a tv on each floor. Home away from home! The king size bed was very soft and comfortable and there was definitely a lot of storage space in the suite.

Moving on to the rest of the hotel, the grotto is definitely the gem of the place. Designed like the underground hot springs, it was a great place to relax - it even has a natural skylight.
The complimentary continental breakfast was great. We went at 830am and the place was buzzing with people from all over the world.

This is definitely the best place to stay when you're in Banff. It's close enough that walking downtown is a great option, but far enough that you won't hear the hustle & bustle of tour busses & tour groups. They also have bus passes for those that don't want to make that walk.

In closing, quiet, large, clean rooms, the grotto and amazing customer service (Tas and his staff) will bring me back and have me recommending this place to everyone.

• Stayed July 2013
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your kind comments! I brings us all great pleasure to read your stay was an enjoyable one, and we succeeded in providing you with great accommodations and memorable service.

We look forward to welcoming you back for future visits.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Hebrew first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We booked the Fox Hotel for six nights from July 17-23, 2013 based on highly positive reviews at the forum. It is a good hotel but not in the four star category. We had a suite for the three of us (my wife and a grown up son) with one bedroom and a sitting area which had a pull-out bed. The housekeeping service is good, the front desk staff are very friendly and the hotel is generally clean and well kept. The continental breakfast is pretty good also. However, the hotel is a good 15 minutes walk to the main strip which was not fun when it was raining or sunny hot. More specifically, the bedroom mattress was lumpy and very uncomfortable. The window AC unit was in the living area only with no vents in the bedroom. The bedroom was quite warm at night and no fan to cool it, except to leave the window open open at night. We had one TV remote for two TVs and, despite several calls and promises to send one, the second remote never arrived. The bath room is tiny and had a mirror with light on one side only which made it harder to shave on the dark side. There are a number of comparable hotels on the Banff Ave which are closer to the town center, outwardly look very similar and perhaps more economical. After long days of hiking on the trails, we did not enjoy coming back to a warm and uncomfortable bed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second and third floor have balconies and more desirable than the first and the 4th flo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you did not agree with the majority of our guests, and offer us a high rated review.

I am very pleased to read you appreciated our housekeeping department, front desk, and continental breakfast. I am sorry you found the 15 min walk into town too long for you. For future travelers, we do offer complimentary bus passes for those that do not wish to walk into town. Many find this short distance from town refreshing, as it is a way from the tour buses and hustle and bustle of the many tourists that visit the area.

We do offer a fan in each closet, for those that find the AC from the living area not adequate. The days in Banff that require AC are far and few between, but when it is hot, the fan can make a great difference.

I am sorry you did not receive a second remote. I apologize for this oversight. As for your uncomfortable bed, I've sent you a private message to find out what room you stayed in. We are in the process of changing out some of mattresses at this time.
Alvarado, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The facility was unique, including the décor in the rooms, and the large, natural hot springs hot tub was very unusual and fun. I loved staying here, but I definitely would not recommend it if the weather is warm as the regular rooms do not have air conditioning. They do, however, have a fan in the room that was adequate when we were there. The rooms are small, but the storage shelves were great and quite adequate. The bed (queen) was very comfortable. The facility is very well located...it is off of busy downtown, but within walking distance of other restaurants and "action." It is pricey, but that is to be expected in Banff. The restaurant within the facility is Chili"s, but the breakfast could have been better for the price of the room. The personnel at the desk were very friendly and helpful. The lobby and the facility had an upscale atmosphere to it. I would love to return.

Room Tip: I recommend a room that overlooks the interior courtyard. All rooms open to the outside walkway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed our unique property. I am also pleased to read that the location suited you, and you appreciated not being in the busy area of downtown. I do hope you return to the Fox Hotel & Suites. We would love to welcome you back!
Port Huron, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I see the Fox Hotel gets good reviews . . . and I guess that's OK. But I am pretty sure none of those reviewers stayed in Room 110. Pleasant young lady at reception desk described our view as overlooking the garden area. Not so -- the view is of a brick wall four feet away. The room is a basement dungeon, actually below ground level. No natural light. That brick wall I told you about? That's where hotel workers gather in the morning for loud discussions. We also had dozens of mosquitoes, though that probably isn't anyone's fault. Overall -- not a good experience. At least not in Room 110. PS -- When we expressed our concerns at check-out, a rude manager informed us that we didn't know what we were talking about.

• Stayed July 2013
beautifulbanff, Front Office Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments.

I appreciate the opportunity to respond, and provide our readers with both sides of this situation. I would like to clarify that room F110 is exactly the room category you booked, nothing more, nothing less. It does not have a view, but it is also not 'below ground level'. This was a last-minute booking and although the hotel was sold-out, we still offered you the opportunity to move to a different room, which you declined.

I very politely explained at check-out that if views are an important factor, we do offer balcony view suites, and those are different category, available through reservations. As I mentioned, the property was in sold-out status, so I need to re-iterate that other categories may not have been available at time of booking. This situation also had our hands tied when we looked at options for you to move to. Sometimes things are beyond our control, but we still are confident we honored your reservation to the best of our ability.

I am glad you accepted the fact that we have no control over mosquitoes. As I also explained to you at check-out, we are unfortunately experiencing a large number of them due to the severe flooding we had in our province in the past month.

Guest service and customer satisfaction is of upmost importance to us. We strongly believe that we honored your reservation to the best of our ability and are very sorry you did not see it this way.
pennsylvania, usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I'll reiterate what others have said. The basic queen bed room here is cute, but very small and has no AC. It's been mostly unseaonably warm here, so the room has been a tad warm. Biggest problem, as others have said, is the noise. Each night we've been here we've been woken by loud people coming in late (as late as 3am on one night). Room service and housekeeping has been poor. We asked for a blanket (down comforter too warm, ESP with no ac) and it took over an hour and a second phone call to get it. Also, there is no privacy. Door and window looks right out on corridor and closing the shade means no air. So, for a hotel costing over $200 a night, I'd like better. On the positive ... This is a good location, the breakfast is good (though better, it seems, on weekends), it is clean, and they do have a cool hot tub. Still, after seeing other hotels here in pricey Banff, I do wonder how this got such a high rating.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate the opportunity to respond. It has been very warm this summer, and lack of AC in our standard rooms has come up. We do offer a fan in each room, and suggest to our guests to keep the blinds and windows closed during the day and open at night. It cools down significantly in the evenings, and this seems to help a lot. As for other guests being noisy when they return, we do ask that all are respectful, and do call security if the situation warrants it. I'm sorry you were disturbed by this.
Sussex, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had a great stay at the Fox Hotel & Suites! Not only were we pleased with the accomodations, we were also impressed with the helpfulness of the staff. We were able to book our Evening Safari at the front desk as well as our Gondola ride. The hot tub/pool was also very interesting (in a positive way) and a great respite after a day of exploring the park. We would definitely stay at the Fox again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Had a great stay at the Fox in Banff. Friendly, helpful staff all the time, very nice facilities and pool/steam room area. Would definitely be back for another stay in the future and would recommend as a good stay for others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple