“Met our reasonably high expectations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fox Hotel & Suites

You added Fox Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Fox Hotel & Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   461 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Rochester, MN
“Met our reasonably high expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The "Fox" basically met my expectations based on Trip Advisor reviews. We stayed in a one bedroom loft suite (4th floor) on the east side. A couple of comments on room 406. It was a warm summer day, and we basically could not open the window in the bed/bath area to sleep as it was very close to kitchen exhaust from Chili's. King bed is a "platform" (no box spring), which made a bit uncomfortable for us. "Blackout" curtains are provided, and needed to block early AM and late PM sun for sleep. Air conditioning does not reach the loft area from the living area. The view, while nice, was not worth paying a pemium for us. I arrived early and they were happy to check us in as room was available. Staff friendly and helpful. While we are not spa people, it was fantastic as many enjoyed.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Hebrew first
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at this pleasant family hotel. Our 1 bedroom suite was a good size and allowed us to spread out. We had little contact with staff except at check in and check out but they were efficient and helpful. The hotel provided a free continental breakfast, which was very limited, but sufficient to get you going for the day. Has a coin operated laundry on site, very useful when travelling! It's located on Banff ave, which is the main street, about a 10-15 minute walk from restaurants and shops. The decor is trying to be log cabinish, but is very dark, not to my taste at all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Great location in Banff. Our family stayed in a one bedroom suite. The room was dated and dark and in need of refurbishment. The positive was that it was clean! Decent continental breakfast and tasty coffee provided by Chili's. a satisfactory stay in Banff.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thanks for sharing your comments. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the location, cleanliness and complimentary breakfast. The Fox Hotel & Suites is Banff's newest hotel, I'm sorry you felt it 'dated'. I hope you will choose the Fox for future travels to Banff.
Bayport, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with the family and we had a great time. Staff were very friendly and room was clean. Location was good too just a short walk to all the restaurants and shops which is important with a toddler in tow. They have a hot tub and gym that guests can enjoy. Will definitely recommend.

Room Tip: The top floor has a nice view of the mountains.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Altamont, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We recently stayed here for 1 night at $300 for a queen bed room, including breakfast for 2. It's nicely decorated and clean...but..no air conditioning, which I'm sure isn't usually an issue, but we were there during an unusually hot spell. So we left the one window open (no cross breeze) and the blind up to let in air, which also let in light and sound. Also, while the rooms face in on a courtyard which is very pretty, it also has an opening to the hot springs/tub area...nice to look at, but the sounds from it echo throughout the courtyard ,making it a bit noisy. No mini refrigerator in the room. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The issues here for us were all "structural" in nature, not service. There is a Chili's restaurant on the premises, with a reasonable buffet breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, AB
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We recently stayed at the Fox and it was disappointing right from the moment we arrived. We arrived at the same time as several other couples and the front desk was a mess. I've never seen it take so long to check-in and there was nothing to indicate where to form a line so people will just milling about it and it quickly became very difficult to figure out who was next. People should be smart enough to figure it out on their own but a good hotel gives queues that take away the guessing.

The rooms were decent but our suite was way too warm when we walked in. The climate controls looks like someone had previously gotten frustrated and started punching them as they were cracked, dented and half the time would do something different than what you just pressed a button for. We finally got our room cool before going to bed but woke up in the middle of the night in an sauna. The bed was lumpy and sagged. The bathroom was designed by a moron. You can't even open the door all the way without it hitting the toilet so you have to open it as far as you can and then stand off the side and close it to get to the tub. Then the shower curtain is about 6 inches too short so it would barely stay in the tub and would easily slide out allowing water to get all over the floor. There will silly things missing like a soap dish so you'd leave the soap on the tub and have to pry it off the next day.

There is absolutely no sound proofing in the walls. In our friend's suite you could hear the guy above them taking a leak. He then complained about noise when the four of us were just hanging out in the room that night chatting.

All the rooms can be accessed from the street so anyone can just walk in and the design means people walk right past the windows in the suites so you can't even leave the blinds open if you value a little privacy.The rooms have good dark blinds that provide plenty of privacy though but then you feel like you're in a cave.

The one thing we did enjoy about the hotel was the hot pool. It was nice to sit in a nice hot pool and relax the muscles after a couple hours in a car. I imagine the atmosphere would be fun in the winter with all the steam. Even there though we encountered parents that didn't seem to understand that it wasn't a swimming pool as their children did cannonballs into the pool.

The complimentary breakfast at Chili's is probably the worst hotel breakfast I've had. You can make your own waffle but the only topping available is cheap syrup bought by the gallon. The fruit salad option was overly sweet and unpleasant. There were stale pastries and cereal also. I'd happily pay for breakfast if it meant there was something enjoyable to eat.

When dealing with the staff you really felt like they wanted to be somewhere else. I know few people actually want to be at work but in the service industry you typically learn to fake it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
I am saddened to read you were disappointed on so many levels. We take great pride in ensuring our guests leave happy, I am sorry we could not please you. I must ask however, why did you not bring ANY of this to our attention during your stay? We need to be given the opportunity to change or fix what you feel to be lacking. You did not give us this opportunity.

Overall our guest comments are very positive, and the moral of our team high. This is why we've maintained such high ratings on Trip Advisor. I could respond to each point you have made, but quite frankly I don't want to come off as sounding defensive. I feel you simply want to vent. I only wish that you had brought these things to our attention while you were here. We would have done whatever we could to appease you. I only hope that the Trip Advisor community will read through many reviews, to find the truth in what we have to offer.

Should you wish to discuss anything with me personally, I welcome your call.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Splurged on one night here, since I'd heard it was so nice and I wanted to check out the hot tub. For what we paid, the room was very small (we were on the 3rd floor facing the hot tub). It was clean and comfortable, but the we could hear the family staying on the other side of the connecting door, to the point where we knew their child's name. The hot tub is very nice, and does remind me of the cave and basin. The breakfast was also very good. The only other downside was the underground parking, it was very tight and crowded and I ended up scratching the side of my car on something jutting out of the wall while exiting, as I tried to make room for another car coming in.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry to hear you were not delighted with your stay. I'm also sorry to hear you scratched your car when leaving. The parkade is 'first come, first served' and can fill up when occupancy levels are high. We also have street parking on both Fox & Cougar streets. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed our Cave & Basin inspired hot pool, and complimentary continental breakfast. I hope you will consider staying with us again, for your next trip to Banff.

Been to Fox Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!