“Gorgeous hot pool and room, friendly staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Fox Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Hotels.com Travelocity
Fox Hotel & Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   461 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 33 hotels in Banff
Edmonton, AB
“Gorgeous hot pool and room, friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Excellent property. I tend to hold more expensive hotels to a higher standard (you get what you pay for) - and even still, Fox Hotel exceeded my expectations. We were lucky enough to visit on the friends and family rate, which made the King loft suite reasonable. (Regular price, it would have to be a VERY special occasion for us starving university students :).

Room was immaculate. As mentioned in previous posts, bathroom setup is a bit different / cramped, but that's definitely not the focus of the room. Our room was in the corner and had somewhat limited views of the mountains (F&F rate - not a complaint!), but still gorgeous ambiance.

The hot pool was very nice; a great replacement for the Banff Hot Springs if you've already tried it. We went on a Sunday, so definitely low time. Chili's closed pretty early so we had to venture out for food. The bartender who was tidying up though had great suggestions for where to go for dinner though, so all was good.

I'm terrible with names, but every single staff person was very friendly, would engage us in conversation, and seemed genuinely interested in how our day was going (front desk staff, our waiter in the morning, everyone!). No complaints about parking. Breakfast was a simple affair, but included in the stay, so value wise, we couldn't complain at all.

I would highly recommend, and would not hesitate to visit again (especially if we got another sweet deal - which unfortunately isn't possible now that high season is gearing up).

Room Tip: Our loft was located in the front by the stairs. Limited views of the mountains, but still fantastic...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

1,326 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I had to teach at a conference in Banff and so was travelling alone and needed a quiet room. The more expensive hotels in Banff could guarantee quiet but the Fox had an advantage...free Wi-Fi and free parking and complimentary breakfast....wow, that seems like a great deal...and a great deal it was. My room was small with one queen bed and a tiny sofa made for two...perfect for me or for a romantic nite...I think it could have been part of another room that wrapped behind as there was an interleading door....The family in the other room were not noisy, thankfully, so I got the quiet I needed but I could hear them talking to their kids and I am sure they heard me talking on the phone too! That wall or interleading door is not quiet...nor private in terms of conversation!
However, I had a great sleep and was not woken by any noise. The bed was super comfortable too.
The complimentary breakfast clearly says it is continental so I thought it was quite well supplied ....it had a waffle station, fresh fruit, fruit salad, yoghurt, granola, cereal, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, a variety of baked muffins and danishes, white and brown breads and jams . ...fresh orange juice, apple juice, coffee and tea....
The hot tub is in the basement but made into a cave-like structure and is open to the sky....it is small but really awesome.
The staff are helpful and friendly at all times.
Wow, I think I have found my new place to stay in Banff!

Room Tip: ask the booking agent for a quiet room and they really do try...but if the hotel is full, it may be...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review! I LOVE your last line, and do hope to welcome you back again soon!
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Having stayed several times over the past few years, my wife and I have received nothing but exemplary service from all employees encountered. A billing discrepancy during our past stay was handled promptly and professionally by Tassilo. I would not hesitate to recommend the Fox to family/friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Great place. Clean, comfortable, and everything went smoothly! We stayed in the one bedroom suite. It's possibly the set up of the rooms where there is stairs or maybe part of another room wraps behind but we could hear other people at times just walking around and it was surprisingly loud. Fortunately the noise wasn't loud enough to wake us up but just something we noticed. The heating system in the upstairs needs to be looked at.. very loud when it's running. Both things were tolerable and not a huge deal. Would still recommend it and stay there again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

From the minute the transfer coach stopped outside the hotel, you could just tell that The Fox was a classy establishment.
Inside, we were greeted by an extremely professional and helpful check in assistant who talked us through the ski bus pick up points and other bits of useful information.
We originally booked a standard hotel room with one queen bed. Whilst checking in, we were offered an upgrade to a one bedroom suite for $30 a night extra. At this time, we decided against and went up to our standard room.
As soon as we opened the door, it became apparent just how small the standard rooms are. There is no storage space for ski bags and other luggage and it would have been hard for us to last 11 nights in a room this size.
We immediately upgraded to a one bedroom suite which was the best decision we could have made and I would recommend it to anyone staying with a large amount of luggage for longer than a couple of nights. The room was much larger with a good sized king bed. The en suite was small however the shower was of a good quality. The fireplace and living area were all well presented.
Breakfast was good and the staff were always friendly, plenty of waffles were eaten!
The Chilis restaurant was good and staff were always on hand to assist with advice on cocktails etc..
The Ski bus departs from next door at the Banff Inn, so no worries in getting a seat.
Walk in to town is around 10 minutes on a flat pavement.
On the whole, had a very pleasent stay at the Fox, the only downside for us was that at weekends, the hotel can become very loud at night, we were woken on both the Friday and Saturday night, first time was people returning home from a night out and the second by some idiot of a man who thought he would sit in the step outside our bedroom wanting a ******* cigarette! I didn't bother with ringing reception but I'm sure they would have acted if required.

Would definitely return

• Stayed January 2013
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Staff was nice, check in was smooth & parking was a breeze. The restaurant was also nice but the breakfast they provided in the morning lacked variety. I think the only thing we had was cereal, I vaguely remember but it was decent.

Now let’s get to the room shall we? It was tiny and we didn't like it at all. My girlfriend called to complain and asked if we could switch rooms but they wanted to charge an arm and a leg for an upgrade even though they had bigger/better rooms vacant ( I know this because they showed us a few options) My gf works in a hotel so she knows how easy it is to upgrade rooms when they are available and the most I've ever been charged was $30 for an upgrade. Due to the ridiculous charge we decided to stay put in our tiny trailer-esque room.

Other than the unsatisfactory room we had a great stay. There pool is pretty awesome and the location is nice as well. We walked to a restaurant called El Toro and even though it was close to closing time they were very accommodating and the food was AMAZING! Overall it was a nice stay in Banff.

I'll try to add photos later on...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I'm a bit confused on your 'arm & a leg comment' as I've confirmed that the upgrade fee offered was indeed $30. Should you wish to discuss, please contact me directly.

I'm very pleased to hear that over all your stay was great, and you made use of our beautiful hot pool.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Fox in the future.
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

A great hotel, staff very good and upgraded us when they found out we were on honeymoon. Good underground parking. Wonderful breakfast menu and cosy dining area with log fire. Room clean. We stayed from the 21st to 26th december and now wish we had stayed longer. Would go back again. Staff always helpful at reception, nothing to much trouble.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fox Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!