“Great Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fox Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added Fox Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Fox Hotel & Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   461 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 33 hotels in Banff
Mississauga, Canada
“Great Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

Stayed here with friends over a weekend. One of my friends first time to Banff. The hotel was great. The decor and atmosphere fit well with the mountain surroundings.
The room was great. We had a 2 bedroom suite with enough comfortable sleeping for our group. The only issue we found with the room is that the snow got into the room and the floor was constantly wet since you enter the room from an outdoor courtyard.
The highlight is the grotto. We were sitting in the cave like hot tub with snow coming through the hole in the roof - very cool.

All in all, it was a great stay, and I would not hesitate to stay there again the next time I'm out that way.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We have purchased large entrance mats, that will help with the collection of snow from shoes and boots, and they are at the inside of each door. Hopefully these will address your issue.

You should come for another visit this summer! I can't promise no snow, but I can promise that it won't be enough to stick to your shoes, and make it's way into your room!

1,405 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I stayed here alone for 4 nights in April for some spring boarding at the Big 3. The Fox provides clean, modern, mountain-style hotel/motel lodgings.

Location: Conveniently located next door to a drop-off/pick-up spot for the (free) Lake Louise shuttle bus. It is not so convenient to the Sunshine Village shuttle bus located downtown, which is a 15 minute walk. You could also take the (free) local bus to that location. There are only other hotels in this area, which is fine if you're looking for restaurants or spas. Any type of shopping is downtown (15 min walk).

Room: Comfortable, clean, and modern, but on the small side. Oddly, the shower bar in the bathroom blocked the bathroom door from closing all the way due to its oblong shape. A straight shower bar wouldn't have affected the door in this way.

My only complaint with my room is that the pillows are far too thick. They would give me neck pain from straining my neck all night.

Access to rooms is from the outside (just like a motel) via an interior outdoor courtyard.

Also, the hotel keeps the blinds open and the lights on inside every room that is not assigned to a guest. It is easy for an intruder to figure out which rooms have guests as those rooms probably have their shades pulled down. Not a good idea from a personal security perspective.

Breakfast: Free continental breakfast is just ok. Fruit, breads, cereals, hard-boiled eggs, waffles. I've stayed elsewhere and had far superior free breakfasts. It is sufficient, however, to get you through to lunch at the ski hills.

Hot tub in the basement is cool - made to look like a grotto of the real Banff hot springs. May be filled late in the day with many children.

Ski lockers are provided, but I just brought my gear into my room with me.

All-in-all - a great place to stay and I had a great room rate, probably due to it being late in the season (but the snow at LL and Sunshine was incredible).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Thank you for your review. I would like to clarify a few items for travelers, to ensure the information presented is accurate.
We do not have any rooms whereby the bathroom door will not close completely. Should you ever experience any issue with your room, please don't hesitate to let us know!
I will agree, our pillows are thick and fluffy. Some guests love them, while others prefer a flatter pillow. We do have flatter pillows available, simply call our front desk, and we will have them delivered to your room, or mention your request at time of booking.
We do not keep the lights on in vacant rooms. We are too environmentally conscience for that!
We also have security patrol the property at various times to ensure our guests safety.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back for your next ski trip!
Squamish, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

We stayed in the Fox in low season so rates were lower and the hotel was less crowded (but still seemed to have a lot of folks). I loved this hotel. The underground hot pool was fantastic with it's partial open air ceiling. The rooms were lovely, clean and quiet. I had requested a room with external light and my partner and i were put in a lovey room with queen bed looking out onto the main street of Banff and the mountains in behind. We barely noticed the traffic on the street and in fact the first evening around 5-6 pm I saw a family of deer strolling down the main street. Amazing. The staff were friendly and helpful. The bed comfy. The room clean. There is limited underground parking so in high season I am told it's first come first serve, though in April we had no problems. We appreciated that the Fox isn't located right in the heart of downtown and enjoyed the 10 minute walk into the centre. I found the design and decorating of the Fox incredibly charming and well suited to a hotel located in a national park. The breakfast was included and was basic, however met our needs. I would've like a bit more choice in cereal and more fresh fruit. That said - my tummy was full at the end of breakfast. There is free internet which is great and lots of storage space in the room. Many of the local restaurants home food delivery with a fee. We had asked for some wine glasses to enjoy a glass in our room and the nice touch was the young fellow who cleaned our room, cleaned out the glasses and left them behind. Rather than taking them away. That was a very nice gesture. The down side for me was I forgot to leave a tip and felt badly about that as the restaurants staff and housekeepers were great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an exterior window higher up
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Had a fabulous time here and could not fault any part of our stay. Staff were excellent with Barry a standout. Rooms were clean and well decorated. Free bus to town a bonus. Would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Inverkeilor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

This place was amaaaaazing! I have done a fair bit of travelling and stayed in a LOT of hotels and this is close to the best I've ever stayed in.

We were upgraded to a loft suite which was awesome. The staff were sooo friendly and helpful, the room was exceptionally clean. Close to all amenities, free bus from the door to the ski areas, amazing breakfast, AMAAAZING cocktails, amazing cave pool jacuzzi thing, comfy beds, the list is endless........

You must say here!!

Room Tip: If u can afford a loft suite then go for it!!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Sundre, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

We went for our 30th Anniversary, the staff was very accomadating and upgraded us to a suite. We were thrilled! The hot pool area was stunning and made to look like the old Cave & Basin in Banff and a very nice dry sauna. The room was very comfortable and the view of the mountain scenery was beautiful. It was a little bit of a hike to downtown, but the atmosphere for Banff that was not a concern to us, it was welcomed! They served a buffet breakfast in the morning that was very good with nice fresh fruits and hot waffles and cereals. There was also a full menu if you wanted something different.
The atmosphere was great and the staff was excellant! We will definately be back!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I just want to clarify that we do not offer a full menu at breakfast. We do offer the free continental buffet, which has a great selection of fresh baked goods, breads for toasting with preserves, fresh fruit, yogurt, a cereal selection, hard boiled eggs, make-you-own waffle irons and more. We can suggest an excellent hot breakfast full menu option that is only a block away. Here you can order all your hot breakfast favorites, and have the convenience of signing the charges to your room.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Fox Hotel & Suites soon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

We stayed here for two weeks. The staff were fantastic - especially Barry and Michelle on the front desk. The rooms are slightly different to most hotels in the sense that the front door takes you outside rather than in to the corridor. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but our room was large and well appointed. We didn't eat in Chilis, but regularly had drinks at the bar. All of the bar staff were great and the atmosphere was better than in a lot of hotel bars. The hot pool, jacuzzi and sauna was perfect for a post-riding relax. We had two wonderful weeks.

Room Tip: Consider getting a suite.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
It was great to have you stay with us these past couple of weeks. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our hospitality! I will ensure both Barry and Michelle are recognized for their guest service. We are certainly lucky to have them as part of the team.

We hope to see you back at the Fox, the next time you vacation to Banff.

Been to Fox Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!