“would stay again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HI-Banff Alpine Centre

Save Saved
You added HI-Banff Alpine Centre to your Saves list
HI-Banff Alpine Centre
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   801 Hidden Ridge Way, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B3, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 19 Specialty lodging in Banff
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“would stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights and it was excellent. I stayed in a female dorm room, which had 6 beds and plenty of space for everyone to have luggage spread out.

The bathrooms were good, they had 2 private stalls with enough space to get changed comfortably, and lots of sinks and mirror space.

The kitchen was large, plenty of stovetops and space. Well equipped with spices, cooking oil, etc. The fridge is a huge walk in industrial fridge so yes, lots of space to cook. Television in the dining room.

They also have a bar downstairs with a pool table and cheap drinks. I was doing a lot of hiking and getting up early so I didn't stay up late and party there, but there was the option to. They also have a cafe so if you don't want to cook, someone else will do it for you!

Overall I had a good stay here, the only downside was the location. It's a fair way out of town if you're walking and it's halfway up tunnel mountain so it's uphill coming in from town. There is a bus that goes into town, it was running every 30mins when I stayed but I believe this is seasonal service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Me and my friend needed to book accommodation in Banff last minute and it seemed that HI-Banff Alpine Centre was the last place left. Boy was I glad we booked here. Compared to most of the hostels I have stayed at this place was fantastic! The service was top notch they help you book any activities you want to do in the area. The location is 5 minutes up the road from Banff and very close to a lot of the hiking and bike tracks.
On top of all that the place is kept very clean and comfortable more so then any other hostel I have stayed at in the past. They also hold social events at the bar downstairs each night. Would definitely recommend this place to people looking for cheap clean accommodation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I arrived here with 4 friends and booked a private room with 5 beds. It was great, clean and very accommodating. Each bed had it's own outlet and light. Beds were comfortable and clean. Had a bit of trouble getting into the bottom bunk since the rooms are a little tight, but it was not a big deal.

The bar downstairs was also a very good time as they had cheap drinks and Karaoke the night I was there. Very good atmosphere and quite easy to get chatting with almost anyone there as it is a very laid back environment and people are there to have a good time.

I would definitely visit again if the opportunity presented itself.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night, but wished we had stayed for more. We are 46 & 47 and have never stayed in a hostel in Canada. We were a little nervous about staying here given that they have a bar, but took the chance and really, really enjoyed our stay. When I booked the room online, I received a personal greeting from Rachel welcoming us and offering her assistance with any questions. We stayed in 5 hotels during our stay in Canada (including the Fairmont) and this was the first personal greeting we received. When we arrived, we found a clean and modern facility with everything you could need for your stay. We chose a family room which consisted of a bed with all linen, towels, shampoos and soaps, a mirror and two reading lamps...what more could you need. The large bathroom was just down the hall with two showers and several stalls. It was, by far, the cleanest bathroom I have ever seen and I can say the same for the kitchen. When the music started downstairs, the kids who tried to come up with alcohol were sent right back down and the staff kept them under control but allowed them to have a good time. We sat and read in the great room and appreciated the free wi-fi. Overall, it was our favorite place to stay and we look forward to returning again in the future. While we seemed to be the oldest and least cool people there, we felt comfortable and enjoyed the laid back atmosphere. Excellent customer service!

Room Tip: Chose a family room if you do not want to share. It is a little more but well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I arrived at the HI-Banff hostel on Thursday 29 August. We were unsure of what sightseeing and activities we could do on the Friday. Since we had limited time, we asked Will who was working the reception desk if he could advise us on sights to see. We asked Will could he please write up an itinerary of things to do because there was so much to see and do in the Banff area (so that we weren't back tracking and wasting time). Having a hire car was an advantage. On the Saturday, we were then heading to Jasper. Will also advised on the sights on what to see along the way. Thank you Will for going out of your way for us. Good Luck in wherever life takes you. Your friendly and helpful assistance is greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work. Stuart & Louise Goodwin

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We loved it here. The private room was fine but it was the staff, atmosphere and facilities that made this place for me. Fun pub in the basement, great little restaurant, bottomless coffee... Stunning location, a brisk 15 minute walk from town but we didn't mind that. The only thing I would say is that they need more staff in the restaurant - one poor guy was doing the cooking, taking the orders and doing the till all by himself! I would really recommend this hostel though.

• Stayed August 2013
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I loved staying at this hostel. It has more of a hotel feel about it, except with bunk beds. The room was spacious, had gigantic lockers, comfortable beds and included a private washroom, not including a shower but the showers are very private and clean. The staff were extremely helpful at the front desk and the wi-fi works great. For a $5 deposit, they provide you with a bus pass that gets you into and around town as much as you like and then refund the $5 when you return the pass. Bus arrives every 40 minutes and takes you directly into town within 5 minutes and it's about a $8-10 cab ride as well. My only criticisms with this hostel is the restaurant, Cougar Petes, located in the main building. The food is decent, but only if they have any. Each time I went to eat here they were out of what I wanted to order (burgers, chicken, bagels, coffee) and they're incredibly understaffed! With busy morning or afternoon rushes, there was only 1 guy in the entire place, taking orders, cooking and then fixing up bills, which gets a bit annoying, especially when theres so many people. Otherwise, great hostel! I'd definitely stay again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to HI-Banff Alpine Centre? Share your experiences!