“Nice friendly Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HI-Banff Alpine Centre

Save Saved
You added HI-Banff Alpine Centre to your Saves list
HI-Banff Alpine Centre
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   801 Hidden Ridge Way, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B3, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Banff
Texas City, Texas
“Nice friendly Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

After getting stuck in flood finally we reached Banff. Lot of traffic and took time but finally
reached with tired screaming kids. The place was nice but little expensive. The staff was friendly and did best to accomodate us due to flood since we had reservation. Good
stay and drove back to Econolodge in Innisfail

Room Tip: Nice friendly atmosphere, little expensive.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Dusseldorf, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you are in Banff and don't spend your time here, something is obviously wrong with you! :)
It is a tough walk up Tunnel Mountain if you come from one of those Sunday Funday's with Jimmy and the crew put it is worth it.

Spent 6 weeks there and loved it. There's always something to do in Banff. We were there in the summer and did a lot of hiking, partying, trips to Calgary and great times in the small town.
If you come here as a work-and-traveller: no worries, you will find a job! We found one instantly. Banff will remain one of my favorite places in the world!

The rooms are fine, not too fancy and the bathrooms and kitchens are okay, too. I preferred the kitchen in the smaller house. :)
It is pretty pricey though for a hostel. We always booked the so called "Jobseeker Package" which was a lot cheaper than booking it for a week regularly. Also there is the option to volunteer (4 hrs of work/ 7 days a week) which actually can be fun. It's dirty like cleaning and housekeeping but you work with cool staff and 4 hrs will be okay...

I always felt very safe and welcomed here and made a lot of friends!

Room Tip: I (as a girl) highly recommend the mixed dorms because the all girl-dorms will have loads of very hi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Radium Hot Springs, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This hostel costs a mere $35.00 or so for one person sharing a dorm style room. That is the best value in Banff by far. But expect to get what you pay for. It is not a "holiday hotel". The place is quite clean, but getting a bit run down. Nice location, and good value for the money. I only stayed one night, and while everyone made me feel quite at home, I was easily more than forty years above the average age in the place.

Room Tip: If you are a couple, spring for the extra few dollars, (I think it is about $75 or so) and get a pri...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed in Banff over the new year period in a private room. Great service at reception, very helpful and welcoming. 24 hour service as well.

The room was clean and the beds were really comfortable! Lots of storage space in the room as well.
All rooms were deep cleaned during our stay and it was good to see that the hostel has a high standard of cleanliness.

The kitchen is quite limited in space, however lots of storage areas. We cooked meals during the day so we could avoid the busy dinner period.
Note - No freezer provided.

Although a good 20 minutes walk out of downtown banff, the hostel offers a free bus pass for you throughout your time at the hostel, an the buses run every 40 minutes.

The only downfall was every time someone closed a door on our level it echoed throughout the hall way into the rooms. We understood that over New Years it was going to be busy, however once it quieted down the doors still woke us up at night.

There was no overhead on New Year's Eve at the bar downstairs, which was good as every where downtown was almost $100. Really great drink prices as well!!

• Stayed December 2012
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I'm unsure why everyone here is ripping on this hostel. As far as hostels go, this place was absolute MAGIC. My boyfriend and I were here for 7 nights over New Years this year. We shared a private room with ensuite and only paid $50 per night which we booked online. (SUPER CHEAP considering everything in Banff was booked out)
There is nothing I would complain about.... at all. But I will take the time to list everything that made it so great for us:
* The staff were super helpful. This was our first stop when arriving in Canada, and no matter how dumb our question, they answered with as much info as possible. The 24/7 reception desk was always happy to do more than asked of them - even personally organising our day trips for us to Kicking horse etc.. and even the wait staff in the restauarant there were always happy to help (or just kick back ad have a chat)
* The internet worked everywhere via wifi and was free. For those who say it didnt work - occassionally if i was connected too long i would have to disconnect/reconnect but i think that was just due to timing out. No issue!
* The free pancakes in the morning were absolutely DEICIOUS, but the meals servied throughout the rest of the day at Cougar Petes was delicious. There were many nights after returning from snowboarding that we actually CRAVED their food.. nomomnom
* The bar downstairs in the hostel was SO MUCH FUN! Every night there would be something on down there, and always free pool. Drinks were ridiculously cheap, and NYE there went OFF!! The bar guy there was awesome.. always up for a chat and gave us heaps of info on where we should go next and the best/cheapest way to do things
* The hostel might be a 20 min walk out of the main street of town, but you are given a free bus pass when you arrive and the bus goes in/out of town every 20 minutes. THe hostel also puts the timetable up in the reception area AND if that isnt good enough, the bus stop out the front lists EXACTLY how many minutes (digitally) until the bus comes.. and its ALWAYS on time. Just amazing. We had hired a car for the week, and we used it twice... to drive to the hostel.. and to drive back to the airport. And if you are coming back after a big night and the buses arent running? A taxi from in town to the hostel was $7 including a tip.
* Its actually rather quiet cosidering its a hostel.. and we were there over NYE week!! There were some times when it was loud, but HELLO - you are in a hostel!
* Our shower had a permanent bench seat in it. Possibly the highlight of our snowboarding trip.
* There were lots of communal kitchens that had heaps of fridge space, numerous ovens, heaps of microwaves and every utensil you could think of.

In summary, this place operated like an expensive hotel rather than a hostel. FOr those with complaints, I can only imagine they never discussed their issues with the staff there, because i know first hand that they would have done anything and everything to ensure any problems were fixed. 10/10 in my books!!

Room Tip: Go private! For only a little extra you get your own bathroom with a permanent bench seat in it! ama...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BanffHostelManager, General Manager at HI-Banff Alpine Centre, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Hi Shelley Kate, thanks so much for taking the time to write about the great time you had while staying with us! We've had ongoing issues with our Internet which has annoyed a lot of people and it's good to read such a positive review and know that we are back on track (after many thousands of dollars of wifi upgrades, it had better be!)

I am also very pleased that you decided to use the bus pass we provide to guests while you were here, rather than using your rental car. This service was one we worked out with the Town of Banff's Transit Commission and while expensive, it does allow people the option of free transportation if the 20 minute walk to Main street seems too much for them. Personally, I like being a bit out of the main drag - as I type this, I'm looking out the window at a large bull elk with huge antlers grazing just outside on the front lawn! Where else can you see things like this? However, I do recognize that some folks find the walk a bit tedious so the bus arrangement with the Town is a great solution. Finding out that people with cars are using it reinforces the decision to continue with the bus service as it is a great environmental initiative as well, which is part of our operational goals.

Finally - I'm glad you liked the shower bench! :)

Happy travels,

Ken
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

No internet. there is a WIFI but internet never works. hostel is far from downtown.The hostel is poorly kept and the staff is terrible. Somebody was booked in my room at the same time as me on my first day, lets say that it didn't end up well. The second day i saw a guy being expelled from the property for helping people picking up garbage on new years eve because he crossed a door and was not staying at the hostel. A real nice guy that was stuck in the parking lot with his truck. He had no rights to get in just to warm up while waiting for AMA. Then i decided i would leave but everything is booked in Banff.

Now i have to stay in Canmore. Thanks to them for ruining my vacations. TERRIBLE management. DISGUSTING customer service. I will never go back there. The only thing that was good was the vibe of the place and the people staying there.

Stay away at all cost.

Amanda.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
BanffHostelManager, Manager at HI-Banff Alpine Centre, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hello Amanda,

I'm very sorry you had such a poor experience while staying with us. It is true that our WIFI is in terrible shape right now; we had some hardware failures in late November and havew had to cobble it back together with some basic residential components we were able to buy at the Source, which is obviously not enough to power a property with 200 guests all trying to watch Youtube simultaneously.

The good news is that we have received our first shipment of back-ordered Meraki hardware from the United States and are now proceeding with our wireless upgrade project. We hope to have the system up and running to a great high-quality standard within a week.

In regards to the issues you witnessed in our parking lot, I am familiar with the individual you saw picking up garbage. I can only say that there is a long history of incidents with that individual that you are unaware of; his eviction from the property was not a decision that was taken lightly and we had numerous discussions to try to resolve the issues with him leading up to his eviction.

I can't comment on the issue you had with your roommate, as you haven't given any details, but we will always accommodate requests for room changes or the like when problems are brought to our attention.

Again, I'm sorry we couldn't meet your expectations; I wish I'd had the chance to speak with you before you left.

Best of luck with the rest of your travels,

Ken Campbell
HI-Banff Alpine Centre
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in July 2012. Our room was small but clean. The mattress was not firm at all, so I'd recommend that they get new mattresses soon. While we were there, it was very hot, and because the room was small with only 1 small window, we were very hot. We requested a fan and got one very quickly. AC would have been wonderful, but we made do.

No problems with the bathrooms. Clean and not crowded.

The kitchen was also clean and not crowded when we used it. We tend to eat dinner early, so we had no problems. Even when we used the kitchen to get our breakfast ready was not a problem -- clean and not crowded.

The complimentary bus passes were fantastic! A great way to get into town quickly! Very helpful! It was nice to leave the car there and not have to deal with parking in town. Loved that!

We would stay here again to take a break from our usual tent camping. It's a good hostel. For Banff, it's affordable lodging.

Room Tip: We had a private room, which I recommend if you can afford it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to HI-Banff Alpine Centre? Share your experiences!