“Virgin cowboy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Trail Riders - Day Rides

Banff Trail Riders - Day Rides
132 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T0L 0C0, Canada (Formerly Holiday on Horseback)
+1 403-762-4551
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 72 things to do in Banff
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover a side of Banff you can only see on horseback. Banff Trail Riders (previously Holiday on Horseback take you to places most travellers never experience. We offer hourly rides, backcountry lodge and tent pack trips, sleigh rides and more. Get an authentic old west adventure, even if you have never been on a horse before. We'll match you with a horse, guide and trip that just right for your level of riding experience.
Southampton, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Virgin cowboy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Went on the Lunch ride, one hour ride- one hour barbecue and horseshoes followed by one hour ride back to stables. Great until the horse trotted. Good old Ryan was a good experience to ride at my first attempt, not enough to convince me to take it up.Thanks to Vera the outrider support, if there is a next time I shall take some inflatable device. I had a choice of playing the local golf course instead gained brownie points by going riding with my beloved.

Spokane, Washington
5 attraction reviews
“Spray River Ride - Great ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had a lot of fun on this ride. My daughter picked this ride because you get to ride the horses across the river (twice). We took the last ride of the day at 5:00 because you get an extended ride taking the horses back to the stables in another part of town. The ride ends up being about 1.5 hours. The horses were great and so were the guides. Beautiful weather and scenery. It is a little odd because you do cross roads and go through town a bit, but what else can you expect when you leave from the middle of town :)

Belfast, United Kingdom
“A relax yet challenging afternoon, b-e-a-utiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We took the 3hr bow river trip, booked on the day. The staff were all helpful and up for a laugh and the horse were beautiful! With their help my wife, who had a bit of a fear of horse riding, had no problem in getting going and enjoyed the experience, even when the trails got a bit steep and her horse dexter decided to go for a gallop. Our guide, Gary, was very knowledgeable about the area and the horses, and he was happy to take us at our own pace. My only criticism is the photos were over priced and not particularly well taken (there was one photo per person and I was looking behind me in mine). But that doesn't take away too much from the great experience we had an of course I had my now camera with me.

Visited June 2014
Winnipeg, Manitoba
12 attraction reviews
“Could have been enjoyable!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My husband & I did the two hour Sundance Loop Ride which I would not recommend. There were a dozen riders from the experienced to inexperienced with 3 guides who shouted directions to us throughout the ride. There was no narrative describing the area just a ride along the Bow River then up Sulphur Mountain so the beauty of the surrounding area was not captured. We own horses which we regularly ride through riding trails that are much nicer in Manitoba. Both the horses & saddles were old and tired. We've also rode horses on different holidays i.e. Jamaica where the guides spoke throughout the ride plus the horses were much nicer. This ride could have been enjoyable with better guides, horses & saddles. Perhaps the inexperienced rider would enjoy it more due to the excitement of being on a horse for the first time.

Visited June 2014
Thunder Bay, Canada
“unpleasant experince, misinformed, rude, would not recommend”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

my family (2 young kids) were really looking forward to this event.. We arrived 15 min before the first ride in the am and were told we had to wait until the next ride as they had already started to prepare for the ride leaving in 15 minutes. We were ok with that but disappointed as they could have easily included us. One hour later despite being assured we would be able to enjoy the ride we were told we would have to wait yet another hour for the next ride as that one was full. the manager was also quite rude as well. We didn't wait for another disappointment we just left. we will not return to this unpleasant venue again. the desk was managed by kids who didn't seem to have a clue about what was going on. overall a very disappointing experience that we were so looking forward to...

Visited July 2014
BanffHorseback, Manager at Banff Trail Riders - Day Rides, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
I'm very sorry for your experience David. Can you please provide me with some specific information so I can investigate and better respond. What day did you visit? what ride were you supposed to do? how did you book? Do you remember who you spoke too?
If you can provide me with this information it would be much appreciated so we can learn from this and better respond in the future. If you can provide me with a booking number then I can investigate some compensation for your negative experience.