“CENTRAL AND WELL MANAGED” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banff International Hostel

Save Saved
You added Banff International Hostel to your Saves list
Banff International Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   449 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A6, Canada   |
Clarens, South Africa
“CENTRAL AND WELL MANAGED”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed for four nights. The accommodation was clean and comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful. The hostel is very central within walking distance to the shopping centre! Management controls noise.

A pity about the deposits you have to pay-even when you take a towel. Management should not let a few dishonest people dominate the way they run their business.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Our group stayed for one night only so not much to say. The staff were nice and friendly. Basic breakfast. Easy walk into town. Very limited parking. I'm not sure we would want to stay for longer or during peak season, seems like it could get messy.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Banff, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed here for only one night but had pre-booked for a week at $79 a night. We were lucky to find a place in just 12 hours in Banff and only had to stay at the hostel for one night but when we checked out and paid for the night we were charged for 2 nights the second night as cancellation fee which is fair enough as it does state in the terms and conditions that there is a cancellation fee if it is less than 24hours notice for a cancellation. What bothered me though was when we booked we were under the impression that for our room was $79 per night as stated on a booking sheet for 2 people when we checked out it all of a sudden it came to $105 a night because it was the weekend. No where did it say when we were booking that there is an extra charge for a Friday and Saturday night being the weekend. We had the private double room with bathroom and it was actually quite nice as far as hostels go I felt like we were at a hotel. But if I knew that there was weekend rates and our $79 a night was going to escalate to $105 a night I would of actually stayed at a hotel.

The breakfast was quite good as most hostels it is do it yourself as you should expect. There is a great range of breakfast food you can choose from - pancake mix, cereals, breakfast bars, different bread with about 5 different spreads. I thought it was well set out and well done for a hostel. It is only a 10 minute walk into town which is really convenient if you are looking for a place or job.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kincardine, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I reserved a bed online and paid for it. I couldn't find any of their "available parking spaces" so I called to find out where to park. It was then they told me that even though I'd booked and paid, they'd sold the last bed 10 minutes before. They told me there was nothing they could do. I called the online service and explained the situation. They spent the next two hours trying to find me alternative accommodations. I ended up having to drive 20 minutes to the next town at 1230am (after just driving from Vancouver to Banff and then sitting in my car for 2 hours). I was told I would receive a full refund since the error was theirs. They failed to provide a room or bed, and still charged me for a bed I never even had. Today I was informed they are refusing to refund the money even though they admitted the fault was theirs and their representative even called me that night to apologize and to 'perhaps offer me a night at a future time for no didn't. Avoid them at all costs.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with friends in a 4 bed dorm for one night, and 9 bed dorm for two nights (3 consecutive nights). The rooms are really poorly layed out so you have no room to move. The wooden bunk beds are too low to fit a backpack or suitcase under so you have to take up the very limited floor space with bags. The 4 bed dorm was particularly tiny, and the 9 bed one had a loft so that if you were on a top bunk you couldn't sit up without hitting your head. The rooms were also extremely HOT with no good ventilation options. One room had a tiny fan, but the other didn't.

As for the staff they weren't particularly inviting or helpful, and simple requests seemed to be very difficult for them, for example our first room had a decent bar fridge, the second room also had a bar fridge but with a lock on the door. When we asked for the key they tried to avoid giving it to us and said to just use the main fridge in the kitchen and that it wouldnt keep our food cold enough anyway and a couple of other excuses... So if they didn't want anyone to use it why bother putting a fridge in the room and have it turned on?

They also weren't accommodatung when we had to change rooms after the first night - since we had the next two nights booked I would have expected them to be lenient with the checkout time, but they were knocking on our doors asking for keys at 11.00.
All the rules and signs saying $50 fine for this or that did not make the place feel inviting and there was no atmosphere at all.

• Stayed July 2013
Kingston, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The hostel is close to downtown, the staff is friendly and useful and you can use computers with internet free of charge. The kitcken is nice, but the breakfast is "do-it-yourself" and could be much better. I stayed one night at this hostel, in July. It was a classical summer day, so very hot, and in the dorm where I stayed it was really REALLY hard to fall asleep, because of the high temperature. Fans are provided but they don't really help, there is definitely need for air conditioners !!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of June, just prior to the Canada Day holiday. The hostel is well located - a 10 minute or so walk from downtown - which I thought was great. I stayed in a 4-bed female dorm with ensuite bathroom and mini-fridge, which was quite a luxury compared to what I'm used to a hostel. As others have mentioned, the rooms get really hot during the day when it's sunny, and we left the windows open. It cooled down a lot at night, so it was only uncomfortable in the late evening. I had no problem parking, even on the holiday weekend, and it was free. I didn't spend much time in the common areas, but generally agree that the kitchen is gross. The breakfast sounded terrible, so I preferred to grab something in town. Wifi worked great, but signal was a little weak in the rooms. I loved that there were no overhead lights in the room for a late-night rude awakening. The main light switch was for a floor lamp - I wish every hostel would adopt this idea. Be sure to bring a larger combination lock for the lockers - the design is pretty lousy and a smaller lock won't keep your stuff secure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Banff International Hostel? Share your experiences!