“Nice they build it - but too close to the highway” 3 of 5 stars

Type: Trails
Attraction Details
Ingaro, Sweden
7 attraction reviews
“Nice they build it - but too close to the highway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2014 NEW

This is nice if you are a road biker, or if you go with the whole family. You can stop and look at the lakes and the mountains. But I don't like it because of the traffic.

Visited September 2014

Toronto, Canada
“Awesome trail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2014

Peaceful trail, very picturesque with the river, falls, trees and the mountains. Well kept trail also.

Visited September 2014
Sherwood Park, Canada
11 attraction reviews
“Can commute from Canmore instead of staying in Banff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2014

I saved a fair of money at a conference at the Banff Centre by staying in Canmore and riding my bike to the Banff Centre each day. It took an hour and a half to the conference centre and an hour back. I averaged 18 km/h on way to Banff and 25 on way back. They are still repairing the damage from the big flood in a couple of places but it should be all done for next summer. We are talking about small stretches two or three hundred metres (218 - 328 yards). It is close to the highway but not right next to it except for the repair detours. There is a small rest stop with picnic tables and a rest room just under half way between Banff and Canmore. I noticed most people stopped there for 5-10 minutes. There are a couple of very short hills that are fairly steep but all the rest are moderate.

I am not a hard core biker and was riding an electric bike that I used pedal assist for only on the steeper uphill portions bike. Make sure you take water with you.

Visited August 2014
Calgary, Canada
22 attraction reviews
“Great ride”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

We recently rode from Canmore to Banff and back and would rate this as a very good ride particularly for inexperienced cyclists. As has been noted in other reviews, it does run near the highway, and so is noisy, however the views are spectacular. It is an easy ride, with a couple of hills, however it is a ride which can be accomplished by someone with little biking experience. Parking in Canmore is easy, and it is simple to get on the bike path and go, plus, you often fight the wind into Banff, which makes for an easier ride back to Canmore when you might be a little tired. About a 55 km round trip. It is a busy trail, especially on week ends, so going fast is not an option, lots of families, so safety first. A great way to spend a summers day.

Visited August 2014
Surrey, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“A good cycle route if you don't mind the highway!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I was in two minds how to rate this - my son (age 12) voted it as one of his favourite days of our holiday and it certainly has the potential to be a great cycle route but, as other reviewers have said, it is spoiled by being so close to the main highway. I was naive in thinking that we would have views of the Bow River, seeing as the highway is the Bow River Trail - but that isn't the case! Some short sections of the route are amongst trees and there are certainly views of the mountains all the way along, but much of the route is just a few meters from 90 kph traffic and, for one short section we were pretty much cycling at the side of the road, with nothing between us and the traffic. I told my son to cycle along that section quickly and without stopping, as I was anxious about what would happen if there was a traffic accident.

If you do cycle this trail, I would recommend the way we did it - starting and finishing in Canmore, as that way you are going gently downhill all the way back (and we also had a tail wind). We hired bikes from 'Gear Up' which is right next to the start of the trail and provided a good service. There is a picnic site that is well away from the road about half way along and worth a stop for the views even if you don't have a picnic with you.

Visited July 2014