“Poor” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Spruce Grove Inn

Save Saved
You added Spruce Grove Inn to your Saves list
Spruce Grove Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   545 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B5, Canada   |
Ranked #30 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Edmonton
“Poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

In the front desk when we arrived is not that accomodating, The room air-condition is not yet open when we enter, no microwave, no fridge, no plates. Inside the room , my son is expecting to freshen his self with a pool , but sad to say and my son is so disapppointed when he saw the round size of a table pool, i cant recommend this hotel ..

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I was somewhat disappointed by this property. I booked to hotel based on getting a hot springs package. There was no hot springs pass and the property is about as far from the hot springs as possible. The staff was not helpful, never did get an answer was no passes. The rooms are worn. The chairs on the balcony were so dirty and grimy to be unusable. The blinds on the balcony door were mangled and unusable. The room was suppose to be a non-smoking room but the bedside table had cigarette burn marks. The buffet breakfast as marginal in a large banquet room. The parking garage under the hotel has not had the floor swept for several ski seasons, filthy dirt, dust and gravel. And to top it all off the hotel demanded a $100 cleaning deposit.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Valencia, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

The reception was cheerful and welcoming. Room was fine, good size. Air cond was very weak and wifi signal even weaker. There were moose in the park behind the hotel, so that was a bonus. Bathroom ok but be wary of getting out of the bath, there is only a plastic handle to hang on to, problem for our older friends. Hair dryer didn't work. Breakfast was fine, limited but cheap( for Banff). Could have been better with little effort and attention to minor problems. Wouldn't stay here if I was loaded.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

As a former resident of Banff, and coming from the hotel industry I wasn't expecting too much of this stay. I was back in Banff for one night and not planning on spending much time in the room so I wasn't too concerned about it.

The room itself was ok, nothing special, housekeeping was lacking but the room wasn't dirty (imperfections in the way the beds were made ect.) I do have to critique the large glass ceiling height window with no covering that made it impossible to block the light from the room come dawn.

Front desk staffing is another issue. While I don't want to go so far as say they were incompetent, I will say they were unprofessional and poorly trained. While I won't go into detail, a high level shows trouble with communication, ability to handle or resolve conflict (another guest vs. front desk), operation of their computer system ect.

If your looking for a cheap (for Banff) place to crash and you have some patience then not a bad idea, otherwise book with caution.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lethbridge, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

First off I wanna say that the staff were amazing! As someone that works at a hotel its something I look for! I would like to say that Cassandra at the front desk was not only accommodating but fun! When problems were happening she helped make me laugh, that's staff that you want.
Now...for the rest. The hotel is apart of the Voyager inn and they make you check in there if you come in later than walk to the other hotel. The breakfast is also in that hotel so you have to walk there. And if the restaurant is busy on the main floor well you get to walk your half awake butt up to the second level.....like how accommodating is that!? And if your not willing to spend the $7 for the hotbreakfast ddon't even bother going cause its useless. So disappointed!!!! Dry old muffins, bread, and stale cereal. Yum...... Our room had crumbs on the bed when we arrived, not a biggie. Then we had no iron, coffee pot didn't work and neither did the remote for that amazing 1990 tube TV. The beds were not comfortable and the blanket on top was far from pleasant. If you wanna enjoy your time go some where else.

• Stayed July 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

No matter how budget conscious you are, I strongly recommend that you never stay at this hotel. Do not book this hotel on any of the booking sites because most will be non refundable and trust me upon arrival you will want to cancel and leave. Our bathroom was covered in hair, not ours! Hair in the tub, on the towels and in every corner of the bathroom floor. Even the complimentary plastic cups had hair between them. The carpet had white disgusting stains on it in more than 5 areas, my family and I literally threw away our socks after wearing them in that room. The ceiling had an unknown substance thrown on it that splattered the wall. I did read comments about this hotel after booking online and attempted to cancel this room 3 months before arrival. However, I was told it was non refundable. The manager said she would upgrade my room due to my concerns based on tripadvisor reviews. We arrived after a 10 hr drive and shockingly the manager said she did not recall our conversation and did not give us the upgrade, I was in disbelief. When I was checking out I asked to have a print out of my room record and there in writing were the notes for our upgrade, another fail on this hotel! Trust me when I tell you, do not stay at this hotel. My family and I travel on a budget but have never stayed in a hotel so poorly run. Spend the extra money for any other hotel in Banff. The first red flag for anyone is the fact the management/owners do not respond to comments on Tripadvisor for both hotels Spruce Grove/ Voyager Inn they really do not give a damn, sad.

Room Tip: Telus signal is so weak wifi not work
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Surrey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

In a summer where rates are $250 per night and up, you get what you pay for when the rate is half that at this place or the sister property next door (Voyager). Very dated carpet, walls, beds, linens and an air conditioner that barely cools the room.

For breakfast you can have a free cereal and yogurt bar or go next door and pay an extra $7 per person tones dry eggs, dry muffins as well as cereal and yogurt.

Want someplace cheap? Stay here. Want some place good? Don't.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Spruce Grove Inn? Share your experiences!