“LOVED this hike. One of the best!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Hiking Trails
Attraction Details
Sarasota, Florida
13 attraction reviews
“LOVED this hike. One of the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

My hubby and I are so happy we did this hike. We weren't going to because it was quite cold outside (around 40 degrees) when we were there in July and it had been raining off and on. However, we decided we may only get to the beautiful Rockies once, so we went for it! We were so happy we did. We got there around 11:30 AM (started early from Banff National Park) and ate our packed lunch in the car before we started. The pull off had quite a few cars but not a lot of people were doing the hike because you can see one of the glaciers from the road. However, I highly recommend this hike. You do not hike long before you are above the treeline and the views are magnificent. Once at the top, you really feel like you are on top of the world! The view of the Saskatchewan glacier is amazing! Do dress in layers. Even though it was quite cold at the bottom, it was worse at the top and the wind was shocking! However, we were well prepared and honestly, the only part of me that was cold was my face! :) I couldn't stop taking pictures it was that breathtaking. Definitely one of the best views I experienced on our wonderful trip! You won't regret this hike!

Visited July 2013

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Awesome.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I hiked this October 28th, 2013 and there was a significantly amount of snow. Started at 3pm and got up at 4:30 - took a few small breaks but was moving the rest of the time. I'd say in the snow it was strenuous for a decently fit person. Did it after Johnston Canyon in the early AM and Lake Louise for lunch, to give you an idea for timing.

The view at the top was unparalleled. So happy that I went, it was an unforgettable experience. It is pretty far from banff village (2.5 hours?) and the road is rough in the winter - I was going to Jasper, so no issue there. It was very quick to get down but I slipped and fell in the snow a few times. From the tracks some people brought snowboards and snowboarded down, which looked fun (but I assume you're not supposed to). There was no one there for the entire time I was (2 hours in total), so it was a wicked experience to be by yourself. I've never had quiet like I did at the top there, no wind, no sound, nothing.

In the snow you can't see the trail once you get about 70% up so you have to hope someone else has already made it. Near the top I just ended up going straight up instead of doing the side to sides - was more tiring but I couldn't see the trail anyway.

I'd do this again in a second and I'd bring anyone I was with here. If you are not fit and if you are not well prepared I would strongly recommend doing this in the winter months (no idea about the summer)

Visited October 2013
Ottawa, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“magnificent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

It's a easy hike. The panoramic view of the mountains is breathtaking. There is the Saskatchewan glacier, a ship like mountain and a mountain like having many hotel rooms. On the way towards Banff at the big bend, we also saw a herd of mountain goat roaming on the road side then filed on the cliff climbing up Parker Ridge.

Visited August 2013
Belgium
“nice hike”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

The trail is a nice steep hike.
A lot of tourists walk this path so you will not be on your own.

The view at the top is worth it.

A must when you stay at Banff,
but not worth a special trip to Banff.

Banff is rather a busy tourist town.

Visited July 2013
York
5 attraction reviews
“My highlight of the Icefields Parkway.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was undecided whether to do the Parker Ridge hike or Wilcox Pass hike. So glad I chose Parker Ridge as the view was just spectacular. At the top we took the trail to the left and kept walking to get the best views back up the valley to the glacier.

Visited August 2013