The chalets are in the shadow of Castle Mountain, one of the most distinctive peaks in the Canadian Rockies. I love the location midway between Banff and Lake Louise. The cabins are very nice and comfortable, and well maintained. They're easy to get to, and there is lots of wildlife in the area.
Unfortunately, there are a few drawbacks.
This was our second stay at Castle Mountain Chalets - the first was in 1998 as a couple. On this most recent stay we brought our 11 year old twins with us. If you're traveling as a couple, the one bedroom deluxe cabin is great. For a family of four, not so much. The second bed is a pullout couch in the living room. It was uncomfortable, but you can't expect much comfort from a sleeper sofa. The problem is that there is a skylight in the living room, and due to the northern latitude, the sun stays out quite late in the summer. It's hard to sleep in a perfectly bright room, and there's no way to cover the skylight. If you've got more than two people in your group, stay in the two bedroom cabin. The light wouldn't be a problem in the winter, though.
The other drawback is the train noise - other people have talked about it in their reviews, but we stayed there anyway because we didn't remember it being bad on our first trip. I don't know if the train horns are just louder now than they used to be, or if it was something else, but whatever the reason, the noise was a LOT worse than it was on our first trip. We did stay in a cabin that was closer to the tracks this time, but I don't think that could make too much of a difference - all the cabins are fairly close. Maybe some cabins have better insulation than others. We typically were woken up multiple times per night by trains.
I like the chalets, but due to the trains and the fairly high prices, we probably won't stay here again.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Mountain Chalets Hotel Banff
- Castle Mountain Chalets Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Midway between Banff and Lake Louise, in the heart of Banff National Park, you'll find a breathtaking location and the perfect getaway resort - Castle Mountain Chalets. Beautifully designed and furnished individual chalets are where you will relax in this nature lover's paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia and Venere so you can book your Castle Mountain Chalets reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.