“Nice room, awkward breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SameSun Backpacker Lodge

Save Saved
You added SameSun Backpacker Lodge to your Saves list
SameSun Backpacker Lodge
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   433 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A5, Canada (Formerly Global Village Backpackers)   |
Ranked #7 of 19 Specialty lodging in Banff
Nakskov, Denmark
“Nice room, awkward breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Great reception by friendly young girl. Super room on 2nd floor, very big with a nice view to the Mountains. Private bath and toilet as requested. Very quiet in spite of the number of young people staying there.
But then - the next morning things changed. The new girl in the reception looked like a hangover. The TV was on - with no sound. Instead there was loud music which eventually was slightly muffled on request. Breakfast: A few muffins and oat meal with WATER! "We don't use milk here" the hangover sullenly retorted when we expressed our surprise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Same Sun for 3 nights as part of our honeymoon travelling around Canada. We decided on a hostel to save a bit of money and it didn't disappoint. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The beaver bar was great fun and we met lots of lovely and interesting people. The rooms were spacious and clean. The breakfast was great (and free), simple and limited but we were happy enough with pancakes and maple syrup. We also ate there one evening and again, it was basic but cheap and tasty.There was also plenty of parking and we were really close to all the shops and restaurants, oh and free wifi.

Definitely recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Great vibe, very relaxed and the cheapest drinks in town!
Only negative is kitchen/eating area and showers pretty unclean, even for a hostel. Daily events are available but not very well promoted. Free breakfast, free wifi, spacious room with heaps of storage space and large windows for fresh air in the rooms. Will definitely be back :)

• Stayed September 2013
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I had a great time. The staff were very polite and helpful. Lots to do and see in Banff, the hostel made exploring the rockies easy and fun. The hostel location was perfect, moments away from everything even the greyhound bus station. Underground parking was available. The food was affordable especially when compared to other restaurants in and around Banff.

Justin C

Room Tip: its all good
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Look I'm not a fan of hostels and so I don't want to be harsh. But this place was dirty and my room smelt. I think that mainly was a contribution of the people staying in my room but I cried the whole week I was there. I think tis place is great if your in for a big party and don't care about dirty rooms etc. the food was good and service friendly as well as is in a good position but otherwise yuck for me

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Tricia L, General Manager at SameSun Backpacker Lodge, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hi Elisa G,

Thanks for providing us with your feedback.

We work hard to make sure all our guests are comfortable. Our rooms are cleaned daily and we provide lockers in the rooms for belongings. Additional storage for snowboards or skis is also provided separate from the rooms to keep the dorms as clean and tidy as possible.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your experience staying with us. If you are staying at any of our hostels in the future and are unhappy with your dorm, please let us know of your concerns and we will do our best to move you to address the problem or move you to a different room.

Thanks,

Tricia Lucas
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

SameSun was my first hostel experience. It was a most pleasant stay. The bed was comfortable, everything was clean and the help super friendly and efficient. I spent 2 nights there in a 6 beds dorm and slept like a baby thanks partly to their enforced quiet hours and friendly and respectful dorm mates. Breakfast was good quality and the little bar/restaurant cosy and warm. For the price paid it was more than I could have wished for and I recommend it highly!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Hearing from hostel first timers, and new converts, is some of my favourite feedback. We take pride in being able to provide affordable, comfortable, clean and social accommodation.

Welcome to the wonderful world of hostelling!

Tricia Lucas
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I loved my time spent in Banff, thanks to all the awesome people I met at this hostel. The atmosphere is very lively and fun. I believe the cheap beer at bar and open terrase and space allowed everyone to socialize better. In comparison to other hostels I've stayed in Canada, this hostel wasn't the cheapest but the dorms were large and clean. Also considering the spacious kitchen and common room, I'd say the expense is totally worth it. I recommend anyone to stay at this hostel if visiting Banff !!

Room Tip: 6 girls dorm was spacious and nice :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to SameSun Backpacker Lodge? Share your experiences!