“First timer” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SameSun Backpacker Lodge

Save Saved
You added SameSun Backpacker Lodge to your Saves list
SameSun Backpacker Lodge
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   433 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A5, Canada (Formerly Global Village Backpackers)   |
Ranked #7 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Banff
Montreal, Canada
“First timer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

SameSun was my first hostel experience. It was a most pleasant stay. The bed was comfortable, everything was clean and the help super friendly and efficient. I spent 2 nights there in a 6 beds dorm and slept like a baby thanks partly to their enforced quiet hours and friendly and respectful dorm mates. Breakfast was good quality and the little bar/restaurant cosy and warm. For the price paid it was more than I could have wished for and I recommend it highly!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tricia L, General Manager at SameSun Backpacker Lodge, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Hearing from hostel first timers, and new converts, is some of my favourite feedback. We take pride in being able to provide affordable, comfortable, clean and social accommodation.

Welcome to the wonderful world of hostelling!

Tricia Lucas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I loved my time spent in Banff, thanks to all the awesome people I met at this hostel. The atmosphere is very lively and fun. I believe the cheap beer at bar and open terrase and space allowed everyone to socialize better. In comparison to other hostels I've stayed in Canada, this hostel wasn't the cheapest but the dorms were large and clean. Also considering the spacious kitchen and common room, I'd say the expense is totally worth it. I recommend anyone to stay at this hostel if visiting Banff !!

Room Tip: 6 girls dorm was spacious and nice :)

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The check in was easy and the staff were helpful. It was nice having a bar onsite, and the breakfast was on par with good hostels. It was a short few blocks walk into the main part of banff. The room was a bit sweaty in July, but they did have a fan in the room, and the bathroom was clean. Overall it was a useful, clean, friendly hostel in a great town in the Rockies.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

As an 18-year-old single female hiker, safety was a big concern. I chose the Samesun for it's great reviews, and I was not let down. I absolutely loved staying here. I appreciated the lockers in the bedrooms (bring your own lock), and th esafety and security of the building. Loved the free breakfast, and I had a fantastic time. I plan on additional trips to Vancouver & Venice Beach, and I plan to stay in the other Samesun hostels there. The location of the Banff hostel was right downtown, and I honestly could not have asked for anything better. Cheap, quality, and awesome. 5 stars from me!

Hi Megan Cherie,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm happy to hear that you had a great stay with us! As a fellow single female traveller I can appreciate how important security is to anyone staying in a hostel. We value providing secure and comfortable accommodations to all our guests.

We look forward to seeing you again here and in our other locations.

Thanks again,

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Girlfriend an I stayed for 2 nights in an 8 person room with shared bathroom. Friendly and helpful staff, a good bar with excellent food and generally clean. A bit cramped at times but that's to be expected in Banff in summer.

• Stayed July 2013
Tricia L, General Manager at SameSun Backpacker Lodge, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hi Phildebeest,

Thanks for your review of your stay at Samesun Backpackers. Banff certainly is a busy place in the summer, but with these views it's not surprising!

I'm happy you enjoyed staying with us. We love the Beaver Bar too, and we're happy we can offer great deals on our excellent food and drinks to give our guests a place to socialize and meet fellow travellers.

I hope we see you the next time you're in the Rockies.

Cheers,

Hertford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Located in Banff avenue- 5 mins from the restaurants and shops, 10-15 mins to the bus and train station. Location is one of the best features of this hostel.
The rooms were wearing a bit at the edge but it was clean.
I was a bit concerned it would be rowdy with bar downside but it wasn't.
The included breakfast is a nice touch but basic.
Simply put, for the price it's not bad.

• Stayed August 2013
Poole, Dorset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here as part of our Moose Tour. Our room was massive. It was like a hostel suite as there were a couple of smaller rooms coming off the larger room with extra beds, a couple of chairs in the main room and a tv. The only downside was there was one bathroom to share between potentially 12 people (number of beds overall in the room). We didn't have a full room so it wasn't so bad but was still a little annoying when it came to getting up in the morning.

The location of the hostel is great as it is a short walk to the main part of Banff and quite easy to find if you have had a few drinks...

The hostel is great for socialising as it has a cheap bar crammed little bar downstairs which means you talk to quite a lot of people. The common room is pretty decent and usually has someone in there whatever time of the day. In my drunken state I left my shoes in there and thought they'd probably have disappeared forever but went and checked and someone had placed them on a shelf by the door. Good times.

I had a lot of fun at this hostel for the two nights I stayed. The staff were really nice. Don't really understand the negative comments. You've got to go into these places with an open mind. It did help that I was with a big group of Moose tour people so we had a big room to ourselves but then that is your fault for not going on an awesome tour!

Room Tip: Be on a moose tour
Hi Haddz,

I'm pleased to hear you had a great time staying with us.

We love that we can offer ensuite bathrooms in our dorm rooms so you don't have to wander down the halls to get to the facilities in middle of the night. Although, for those moments when you're waiting for your roommate to vacate the washroom we also have washrooms on the first and second floor.

I'm glad your shoes were where you left them. This sort of thing really is the norm rather than the exception and it really goes to show how great backpackers can be!

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip through the mountains on your Moose tour.

Cheers,

Tricia Lucas

Been to SameSun Backpacker Lodge? Share your experiences!