“Good value for Banff in summer” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SameSun Backpacker Lodge

Save Saved
You added SameSun Backpacker Lodge to your Saves list
SameSun Backpacker Lodge
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   433 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A5, Canada (Formerly Global Village Backpackers)   |
Ranked #6 of 19 Specialty lodging in Banff
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good value for Banff in summer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Girlfriend an I stayed for 2 nights in an 8 person room with shared bathroom. Friendly and helpful staff, a good bar with excellent food and generally clean. A bit cramped at times but that's to be expected in Banff in summer.

• Stayed July 2013
Tricia L, General Manager at SameSun Backpacker Lodge, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hi Phildebeest,

Thanks for your review of your stay at Samesun Backpackers. Banff certainly is a busy place in the summer, but with these views it's not surprising!

I'm happy you enjoyed staying with us. We love the Beaver Bar too, and we're happy we can offer great deals on our excellent food and drinks to give our guests a place to socialize and meet fellow travellers.

I hope we see you the next time you're in the Rockies.

Cheers,

Tricia Lucas

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Hertford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Located in Banff avenue- 5 mins from the restaurants and shops, 10-15 mins to the bus and train station. Location is one of the best features of this hostel.
The rooms were wearing a bit at the edge but it was clean.
I was a bit concerned it would be rowdy with bar downside but it wasn't.
The included breakfast is a nice touch but basic.
Simply put, for the price it's not bad.

• Stayed August 2013
Poole, Dorset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here as part of our Moose Tour. Our room was massive. It was like a hostel suite as there were a couple of smaller rooms coming off the larger room with extra beds, a couple of chairs in the main room and a tv. The only downside was there was one bathroom to share between potentially 12 people (number of beds overall in the room). We didn't have a full room so it wasn't so bad but was still a little annoying when it came to getting up in the morning.

The location of the hostel is great as it is a short walk to the main part of Banff and quite easy to find if you have had a few drinks...

The hostel is great for socialising as it has a cheap bar crammed little bar downstairs which means you talk to quite a lot of people. The common room is pretty decent and usually has someone in there whatever time of the day. In my drunken state I left my shoes in there and thought they'd probably have disappeared forever but went and checked and someone had placed them on a shelf by the door. Good times.

I had a lot of fun at this hostel for the two nights I stayed. The staff were really nice. Don't really understand the negative comments. You've got to go into these places with an open mind. It did help that I was with a big group of Moose tour people so we had a big room to ourselves but then that is your fault for not going on an awesome tour!

Room Tip: Be on a moose tour
Hi Haddz,

I'm pleased to hear you had a great time staying with us.

We love that we can offer ensuite bathrooms in our dorm rooms so you don't have to wander down the halls to get to the facilities in middle of the night. Although, for those moments when you're waiting for your roommate to vacate the washroom we also have washrooms on the first and second floor.

I'm glad your shoes were where you left them. This sort of thing really is the norm rather than the exception and it really goes to show how great backpackers can be!

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip through the mountains on your Moose tour.

Cheers,

Tricia Lucas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I loved this hostel. I made long life friendships with amazing people. The hostel has a great location and has quite a sociable atmosphere. Trish who works at reception is great help. If you are not too sure on how to travel the rockies, organise a Moose Travel tour!!

Langley City, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

So three of us showed up. I am not a hostel fan, but descided to go with the flow.

We arrived and the staff seemed nice.

Got to the room which I was told we booked a 6 bedroom female dorm. Surprise there was three males in it. Again I said just go with the flow.

My friends new my hesitance with staying in a hostel so they gave me the only bottom bunk bed. I threw my stuff on there and flipped the pillow to see some nasty stains...I went down to my car and got my travel fleece blanket and used it as a pillow instead. I also took off the top blanket as it had an awful odor to it that I didn't dare want near me.

The room overall was a mess and dirty. There was a gross body odor mixed with alcohol smell. I am not sure if this is average from the rest of the rooms, but I was scared even to walk around in anything less than socks. I also decided to take majority of my stuff down to my car.

The bunk bed consisted of a bunk bed matress with a foam on top. One of my friends didn't have the foam. We all barely slept that night, as any time someone would shift in the bed they would make a horrible metal squeek noise.

We woke up in the morning for the complimentary breakfast. There was no plates at all. As for food we didn't see anything except for crumbs of what was believe to be cereal. All three of us decided that McDonald's was our best bet and checked out earlier than planned.

My two friends had a better sleep in my car than this place.

Room Tip: My tip is go else where.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
West Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was my first ever stay in a backpackers' lodge / hostel so I don't have anything to compare it with but as a 30 year old female solo traveller I was impressed. I stayed in an all girl dorm (6 beds) with en suite bathroom. It felt very secure because you got a key to the room and the door locked itself automatically when you left. The sheets on the bed was clean and you were sure of this because you had to strip the bed yourself when you left (part of the conditions). The bathroom in the room was spacious and clean, I would say 3* standard. There were lockers in the room that needed a padlock, unfortunately I only had little ones and they couldn't get around the hasp. The hostel was in a really good central location, just on the edge of the centre of town so a short walk to pretty much everything. The staff were very friendly. They had a quiet policy after 11pm which was great for those who wanted to get some sleep. The bed wasn't very comfortable but what do you expect when you're sleeping in a bunk bed for the first time in many years. The pillow could've been better for me, or having two would've been a nice option. Overall, a positive first hostel experience and I would definitely recommend this place to others.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

When I got to Banff, I was so exhausted from the travel that it took to get there that all I wanted to do was have a shower and take a nap. Unfortunately because it wasn't check-in time yet, our room wasn't quite ready, but it was so nice to be welcomed by friendly staff who offered us towels and use of all the facilities at the hostel (all of which were kept very clean) whilst we waited.

When we booked our stay in Banff, I assumed that because the room would fit 8 people, that it was going to be extremely cramped and so when we were able to check-in, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was enough room for 8 people to fit comfortably and store luggage without it being in anyone's way. Additionally, the room included a fireplace, a television, lockers, and a washroom.

The hostel also has a bar which has activities every night, including bingo, trivia and parties and I love the fact that staff interact with guests like they'd been friends for years; I met a lot of people in Banff with whom I felt like I had known for much longer than a week, including staff.

I've read a few reviews that have suggested that this is a "party hostel" and that if you're looking to get a good night's sleep, that won't happen because of the noise from the bar and people coming back late from a night out. I completely disagree. The bar far enough away from the rooms so as not to be able to hear anything if you're trying to sleep, and there is also a common room upstairs where people can meet and hangout upon returning from going clubbing, so as not to disturb roommates.

I had a fantastic time in Banff, which is largely attributed to my choice of hostel. If I were to return to Banff, I would definitely stay at SameSun again and suggest that you give it a go, too!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to SameSun Backpacker Lodge? Share your experiences!