“Convenient on site bar.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SameSun Backpacker Lodge

Save Saved
You added SameSun Backpacker Lodge to your Saves list
SameSun Backpacker Lodge
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   433 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A5, Canada (Formerly Global Village Backpackers)   |
Ranked #6 of 19 Specialty lodging in Banff
“Convenient on site bar.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

Not bad, a 5 - 10 minute walk from shops and bars. But was going through needed refurbishment when I was there, so a little old and untidy. Looks to improve however.

• Stayed April 2012
toby b, Front Office Manager at SameSun Backpacker Lodge, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Thanks for your review, we appreciate all customer feedback. With the number of clients that visit us, we are always working to create a clean, relaxed and comfortable surrounding for our guest. We have been installing brand new lockers in all the rooms so guests have even more storage space as well as all the new paint work and new bathroom. Please don't hesitate to come back and experience the improvements! Toby, Assistant manager

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

This hostel is 2 different buildings, the Lodge, and the Chalet. I stayed in the Chalet which was brilliant, free pancake batter on a morning, free use of the kitchen which was really good, a small laundry room, en suite bathroom in the dorm, lots of windows which made for an airy room, but the biggest plus was the huge jacuzzi bath tub. I've heard the Lodge doesn't have this. I also ate in their bar the first night, good bar food, would recommend given the price they charge. The chalet is also in a very good location, walking distance to things in town.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Hi there!
Thanks for your positive feedback, it is great to hear you enjoyed your stay so much. Just to confirm, the previous "Lodge" has now closed and Samesun in Banff is in the newer "Chalet" building. We are making lots of improvements, so if you enjoyed it the first time, please come back and see us again! Toby, Assistant manager
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I stayed in the SameSun in July and it was fine. Banff was pretty busy, but I found a decent room (not in the newer part, but the oldder part). The people I was sharing with were fine, they weren't noisy, didn't pinch anything and we only met up when we were coming back or going out. Which is why it's great that the staff are sociable, as a solo traveller, it was nice to speak with workers and travellers alike in the outside communal area (we even had a bbq there). I think the newer section is more expensive but better quality, however I had nothing to complain about in terms of the quality, it is decent value for money.

Room Tip: Go for the new area if you are holidaying, but ask to be as far away from the bar. The oldder area i...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Maroochydore, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Stayed at Samesun middle of July for a couple of nights. the hostels location rivals that of other more expensive hotels!! (its on the main drag on Banff Avenue) Yes the room was an 8 bed dorm, however it had lots of windows to let in air and light, plenty of plug sockets for everyones gadgets, and a bathroom in the dorm too, which meant no wandering down the corridor to the bathrooms in your PJ's!! it was $35 a night to stay but after being in Banff for some time now this is cheap!! The kitchen was always clean and tidy (for a backpackers) If you want privacy and more creature comforts spend the money and stay at a hotel, but if your looking for something cheap, and a bed for a couple of nights definately stay at Samesun!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

This place was awesome. Some of the nicest rooms I've come across! Spacious, clean and ensuite so you have a bit more privacy than in most hostels.

The bar downstairs was fun and an easy place to make friends. A group of swiss guys were nice enough to invite me to join their team for scattegories night!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

They have a lot of claims which doesn't live up to the money it costed ($70 for two people per night):
Parking: only about 10 spots in total for about 100 people. 3 or 4 of those spots are always "reserved", meaning the guests have no access.

Pancake Breakfast: a bowl of pancake batter for you to make it yourself. The kitchen/cooking equipment is not enough to accommodate the people during rush hour.
We checked in 4 hours later than what we indicated, and for some reason they still didn't have beds ready. When I got in, we saw a guy changing his underwear on his bed (there is a bathroom for that!), and the place smelled terrible. I was shocked by how messy and dirty the room was as well. If my girlfriend didn't tell me that there are better hostels out there, I don't think I'll ever go live in a hostels again.

The room: We (a young couple) were put in a room with long term stayers, so the room was never cleaned. They have no maximum stay limit so there are many people who 'live' at the hostel. The long term stayers just leave their stuff anywhere in the room, which I didn't even have a place to sit.
The place is poorly lighted, and awkwardly designed. I sleep at the top bunk of a bed, and there was a light shining just 10 cm above my pillow. Worst thing is, the switch is about 2 meters away near the floor, so there's no way I can turn off the light while I am in bed.
The bed was uncomfortable and loud, as you literally feel you are sleeping on the springs, and every time someone turns in their sleep, the whole room can hear it.
The place is really loud as people like to party downstairs until very late in the bar downstairs. I can hear the music easily from third floor, even with the door closed.
The other people store their private belongings in the bathroom, so we didn't even have space to rest our toothpaste while brushing teeth. One girl left her money in the bathroom as well. One day, as my girlfriend was showering in the bathroom, the girl wanted to get her money from the bathroom to buy a drink. Apparently she needed a drink from the bar downstairs so bad that she even claimed, "I swear I feel like kicking the door down soon if your girlfriend doesn't open the bathroom door."
In my room, there isn't enough lockers for people to store their things. I just left most of the stuff in my car trunk, and hope people won't touch my stuff. All these things make my entire staying feeling very sketchy and insecure.

Lastly, the place only had air conditioning in the first floor. So second and third floor were poorly ventilated and it was like a furnace. While the temperature outside was in a comfortable 22 degrees Celsius, it was about 30 degrees inside. For some reason, the window couldn't be opened either, so the only thing you have is this old and loud fan in the room going all night.

So in summary:
this place is expensive, dirty/messy, and loud. The bed is uncomfortable and the whole place feels sketchy as hell. If you have a car, for the same money, I would just stay in Canmore or somewhere else.

This place is for you, if:
you like to party.
you are a backpacker and planning to stay here long term.
You don't have the car, so you can just walk to the town and work part time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
toby b, Front Office Manager at SameSun Backpacker Lodge, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
Hi there, thanks for staying, we appreciate all of your feedback.
We are one of the cheapest accommodations in Banff and are happy to provide parking to as many people as we can cater for. Occasionally drivers try to block off spaces for themselves, but it is something we try to check on regularly.
We appreciate that breakfast can be busy, which is it why it is checked by staff every 15-20 minutes to make sure it is kept clean and all supplies topped up. All of our rooms are cleaned daily which results in our check-in being at 3 o clock, but if we can check people in earlier we do. If you need to arrive early, we have day storage that you can leave your bags in while you relax in our lounge or use the kitchen.
We do have a bar on site which can get busy, which is why we close all doors where necessary to minimise the noise levels and operate a quiet time throughout the hostel between 11pm and 7am. Through this time our 24 hour night desk/security patrols the building to ensure this quiet time is respected by other guests staying in the hostel.
All rooms have an ensuite bathroom with plenty of space to change and to leave washing supplies. We are also currently upgrading the lockers that are supplied in the rooms, so in the mean time are happy to keep anything of a higher value behind reception.
Like many buildings, in the summer the upper floors can get warm. We have just invested in new tower fans to help keep the rooms that little bit cooler, as well as the rotary fans we had before. Toby, Assistant manager.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011 via mobile

A great hostel! Everything was good. Free breakfast, cool bar to meet people, rooms spacious. I Had a room away from the bar, otherwise people said the music was loud on some nights. But was a great place in a great location and would highly recommend it to everyone of all ages

• Stayed June 2011

Been to SameSun Backpacker Lodge? Share your experiences!