“Poor breakfast restaurant” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Sherwood Park AB
“Poor breakfast restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I really hesitate to write a negative review unless there are no redeeming qualities at a restaurant or resort or hotel but, I suppose I 'd like to know those places that are substandard. I had eaten once before at this chain in Edmonton, Alberta just a few weeks earlier on a busy morning downtown. The restaurant was full, service was quick and the food and coffee were hot and pretty good. I'm not overly fussy or demanding and will eat most things without complaint as long as it doesn't look poisonous. However, when travelling with my wife, I like to treat her a little better because she works very hard and deserves a little pampering.
Sadly, this restaurant fell far below acceptable. The coffee was very cold right off the bat. A bad sign of more disappointments to come. The food was also cold. The hash browns were not even remotely brown but, we're still browner than the cold pale "toast". My wife's food was similarly cold. She offered me her bacon which I declined. What guy ever turns down free bacon? She did say that her poached egg was cooked perfectly though. The only positive note was the staff. Our server was a very friendly, cheerful young lady as we're the other staffers we met
Prior to booking our room in Banff, we considered the hotel that hosts this restaurant but chose to return to the hotel (The Caribou) that we had stayed in three weeks earlier. My wife remarked that she would not stay in this hotel just because of this restaurant. The Caribou has The Keg restaurant on the main floor and the restaurant is always excellent. On this morning we thought we'd go for a walk and try something different. On the walk back to our hotel, it rained on us heavily. No doubt to teach us a lesson. Sigh

Tom

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

55% Recommend
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Good food and extremely helpfull waitress”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We ate here one lunch time and came back for dinner. The food wasa excellent, but what made it special was the waitress was very helpfull. She spent a few minutes talking us through the menu, and then told us a bit about Banff. She gave us excellent advice.

When I told her we were having problems with the wifi at out hotel, she came back with a wifi code I could use which was super fast.

Food and beer very good, and good value.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“The only chain restaurant we eat in while visiting Banff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I would give it 5 stars, but it can be a little pricey.

Our family loves the breakfast as they have a lot of choices for everyone and no one leaves hungry. Plus, you can eat breakfast out on the patio in the summer, right on Banff Avenue.

Also, believe it or not, their burgers are really good for a chain restaurant.

It is a family restaurant, but a little fancier than others, but there is an added cost to that.

Visited August 2012
Mississauga
“Slow service and average food. Why?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

You're in the most stunning scenery in the world. Why would you want to eat in any place that is " cookie cutter" franchise. I recommend places that have area character. If there are photos on the wall of Banff or a local dish, just something to connect you to where you are.

They don't even serve Alberta beef? ( or if they do they don't say it on the menu or with the wait staff)

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
MI
“Not Another Grill!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This was a pleasant surprise! It started out with a tasty dressing on the mixed greens followed up by a well prepared entrees. The teriyaki chicken/veggie/Asian noodle dish was so well done, for a moment I thought I was in an Asian restaurant and not Ricky's. The meat on the beef dip sandwiches was good too. Ricky's has a broad and diverse menu, but the kitchen is skilled and does things well!

Visited July 2012