“Rundle Manor” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rundle Manor Apartment Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rundle Manor Apartment Hotel to your Saves list
Rundle Manor Apartment Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   348 Marten Street, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B7, Canada   |
Ranked #30 of 33 hotels in Banff
Surrey
“Rundle Manor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

This was the second time we stayed at the Rundle Manor. We had a two bedroom apartment, which was spacious. This time, although I asked for a high floor, we were given a basement apartment. We had to keep the curtains closed all the time and as we were right by the front door it was really noisy.
There was some disruption from upstairs caused by the people above them! The walls are paper thin.
We like the location of the apartments, being close to Safeway and Banff Avenue and all it has to offer. Getting the bus to Sunshine or Louise is a two minute walk, and a very efficient service.
Our children are 13, 10 & 8. When it was time for bed they were all pooped and slept through the noise anyway!
I have suggested (through Inghams) that the Management put notices up asking for consideration at night.
I would like to have had a washing machine and a dishwasher, but we managed. The kitchen was clean and had the basics. Equipment for making pancakes essential! The apartment was cleaned daily, beds made etc.
The beds are doubles, which for us isn't a problem, but this might not suit some groups.
We would stay there again, but I would insist on a high apartment at the other end from the front entrance.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

The web site and location looked great, unfortunately the hotel allowed a group of "Youths" 8 to be precise, to share a one bed roomed apartment. Result 5 sleepless nights. The building is old, needs a full refurbishment and is not well sound insulated, because it is not connected to the main complex in winter you need to get togged up just to go to the Spa. The hotel facility's are great and food is reasonable with a nice small steam, sauna and hot tub. Very close to town but if you need a place to relax and get some sleep between a hard days Ski / Snowboard - Don't bother staying here.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

I was looking to book a property which could accomodate the six of us (I was travelling with some extended family members). Initially I thought of booking two rooms but then it occurred to me that perhaps I should look into a suite or something. That's how I came across this property. As my title mentions this is an extremely basic property with just the bare minimum in terms of amenities. The check-in for this property is not within the building itself but a few steps away in another property owned by the parent company.
The very first thing I noticed when we pulled in was how little parking there was and how tight it was. After we checked-in (at the other building) I was told by the clerk that we could park at any of the properties which they owned (which were all within close walking distance).
We got a room (or should I say an apartment) with two bedrooms in the basement of this building. When I first walked in, I have to say I wasn't too impressed. Although I expected basic, this was extremely basic in terms of decor/furniture etc. The hallways weren't very inviting to say the least and my initial impression of the apartment was the same. After I had been in the apartment for a little while though I started to accept the fact that: number 1 - I had paid a very reasonable rate for the number of people that were going to be accomodated and 2 - that although basic the apartment was very roomy with two very comfy (if not spectacular) bedrooms and a decent washroom. The kitchen had a fridge and stove and was adequately stocked with plates/utensils/pots etc. and there was a dining table to sit and eat at. In addition, I couldn't really complain about cleanliness. Although old and basic, I had to admit the apartment was fairly clean.
After it was all said and done, my biggest gripe I guess was that since this property does not have air conditioning I would've like to have had an apartment on one of the upper floors (2nd or 3rd) as we could've opened the windows. Being in the basement didn't allow us to do this overnight or even open the curtains during the day as people would have been looking straight in.
Would I stay here again? This is a tough one. I don't normally travel with extended family members but if I did I suppose I would consider this one again but would definitely ask for a room higher up. Traveling with just my own family I definitely would not stay here again as I wouldn't need that much room and would opt for something smaller and cheaper but with a few more amenities.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Baildon, West Yorkshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

We stayed at the Rundle Manor for 2 weeks at the beginning of March. There were 4 of us so we booked the 2 bedroom apartment. The apartment was better than we had expected from reading some reviews. Living room very spacious, plenty of room to crash out after a day skiing! Everything we needed in the kitchen, though tried to cook pizza in the oven one night which didn't quite work, but a minor thing and wouldn't complain! Everything else was fine! Plenty of room in the bedrooms and the beds were comfy enough. Shower was great! Rooms kept very warm with the air con heating. House keeping came round every morning and did a great job, clean towels every day. Safeway only 2 minute walk down the road and then straight onto Banff Avenue, brilliant location. Loads of restaurants to choose from, our favourites being The Spaghetti Factory which was very good value for money, Pad Thai, Chilis, Caribou - buffet breakfast very good.

We went on quite a few trips as we weren't just there for the skiing. Would definitely recommend the dog sledding, what an experience.

All in all it was a great place to stay. This was our first trip to Canada and will definitely come again and stop at the Rundle Manor. Been home less than a week and can't wait to come back!

Ali C

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

These appartments are fantastic value for money & the friendiness and service provided by the Ptarmigan front desk employees and cleaning staff is excellent. As the Apartment Hotel is owned by Caribou Properties you are able to use its affiliate hotel facilities across Banff which includes fitness rooms, hot tubs and wireless internet. This was our 8th or 9th visit to Banff and all experiences at The Inns of Banff, Ptarmigan and Rundle Manor have been great. We have already introduced our friends to these accomodations.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
littleworld, General Manager at Rundle Manor Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2009
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed another vacation with us in Banff, and that you had the opportunity to visit our sister properties around Banff, something more of our guests should take advantage of. Next winter our very own Hidden Ridge Resort will have its outdoor hot tub completed, you must check out the view. Let us know when you are ready to book again, see you next year.
Philadephia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

We booked this hotel for a 2 bedroom suite, since it is inside Banff and the photos of the room look nice. WRONG!!! We were so shocked when we arrived and saw the condition of the room. The hotel is a very, very run down building, more like a "dorm" than an actual hotel design for vacation. Even worse, our room is in basement (believe or not!) and the room was full of bad, moist smell like the room is full of mold! The room is small and has only one bathroom that is so tiny and you have to really trying hard to close the door when you're in there. The hotel is close to a busy street and has "paper-thin" wall and floor that I could not sleep for the night by all the noise around. My wife was woken in the middle of night when someone from the floor above us shouted to the street at 2AM! We felt so terrible and been cheated by the hotel. My suggestion to you is DO NOT BOOK THIS ONE!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — everything!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Camden, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

This place is very well located, and probably value for money comparing it to other nearby properties. However it is quite run-down and we were affected badly by noise on our first night from semi-permanent residents who work in the area for the season, but no problem at all with noise on the second night.

The main bed had two large body size indents, so at least one could not roll out of bed!

The kitchenette was well set-up with a full size fridge, with also an oven and microwave. No problems with that area. Cleaning was quite OK.

We also found the building to be quite stuffy, although not heated, and we frequently left a window open. Av max temps at the time of our visit were only about 15c.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bed
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Rundle Manor Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!