“Service” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Juniper Hotel to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
The Juniper Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Juniper Way | Mount Norquay Rd, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1W 2C3, Canada   |
Ranked #12 of 33 hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Fantastic place to be in Excellent service by Will , late night we had heating issue i believe then patrick came and fixed it. Nice n clean rooms and perfect for ski lovers. restaurant looked great we didnt try it but i could tell it was awesome. Not that far from Dowtown banff 3 min drive and very quite place. One thing it should have is vending machine other then that service and location was perfect. Please do go and you will have blast. My kids loved it

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to review us. I will pass on your feedback to the staff you had a good experience with! Hope you come back soon and get to try The Juniper Bistro!

354 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

From the moment I booked with the hotel, I had a great experience! When I called to change my reservation the girl was helpful and friendly!
We enjoyed our stay, all the stay was friendly and helpful! I will be staying there again, and telling others about this hotel!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for reviewing us! I'm glad you had such a great experience. I’m pleased to hear you found our staff so helpful and friendly. Hope to see you again soon!
Yellowknife, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

This hotel is by far my favourite. The staff are super friendly and accommodating we had a beautiful room which was very trendy and eco friendly. We were on the main floor with a sliding door opening to the mountains and a small patio facing the city. It was a short walk from our room out the patio door to the hot tub facing the unreal mountains. I wish I could stay there forever. The price was very affordable as well as the price for dinner on site. They give you cab vouchers if you want to venture out into the city (only a 5 mins drive)

Room Tip: I recommend getting a room on the main floor facing the city and mountains. There is a great walkout...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review! I’m glad to hear that we’re your favourite spot. It’s great that you find out staff really friendly! The room that overlooks the town and valley, is called a ‘deluxe’ or panoramic view. Just so you know what to ask for next time you visit. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

My husband and I used to regularly stay at the Juniper for years (in fact, we stayed here for our first trip as a couple and kept going back at the same time for our anniversaries). We used to love this place - nice and clean rooms, friendly staff, great food at their bistro. Unfortunately things seemed to have changed in the past 1-2 years (rooms are less clean, lots of confusion when booking, food at the bistro is average at best), and we've had a variety of issues dealing with the staff.
Example - we stayed in one of the suites last year which has a jacuzzi (which we wanted specifically). The next day there was no hot water in the hotel. We talked to the staff but were told that we would not receive a discount which I thought was ridiculous since we were staying at one of their most expensive rooms (and there was no hot water the entire day!). They offered us a voucher to take a shower at the Hot Springs. Really?? We declined...
Since we have so many good memories from years ago we decided to book a room once more for our wedding anniversary this year. Turns out that the room we booked was not available in "real life". When we called to cancel we were told that the hotel can't cancel the booking and that we'd have to figure it out online. We booked the room through the hotel's own website, not Expedia or any other site. I understand that the booking link leads to a third party booking site, but if that's what you implement as a hotel I really think you need to figure out a way to deal with these bookings through your own staff and not make customers spend half an hour trying to figure out how to cancel a booking.
All in all, we've been quite disappointed lately and won't stay at the Juniper hotel again unless things significantly change again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking time to provide us with your feedback. We are working at improving ourselves and find your feedback useful to our progress. As for your experience last year, I apologize your issue was not resolved at the time. I can inform you that we have had brand new boilers put in since then and should not have issues like this in the future.

I’m also sorry for the issues you had booking with us this time around. We have just starting using a new booking system and had encountered some growing pains that needed to be worked out. I can assure these issues have now been resolved and booking with us should now be hassle free.

We are working towards making significant improvements to the hotel and in the mean time try our best to provide the best personalized and friendly customer service. I am sorry that you did not experience this during either of your recent interactions with us.

I do hope that you reconsider and stay with us again so you can see all the positive changes we’ve made!
Strathmore, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Staff are incredibly friendly and helpful! Couldn't ask for a better spot to stay in the national park for a few days for a great price. The hotel is just 2 minutes outside of Banff, right off the highway, so it's easy to get to any of the ski resorts. The Juniper will be my go to place for ski trips around a the Banff area.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We’re glad that we worked so well as a base camp for your ski adventures. We hope to see you again soon… Did you know we’ve 18cm of fresh snow in the last two days?!
St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed with a friend for a ski weekend, and was generally very happy. Could have been excellent with a few improvements. It is just across the highway from town, which wasn't a big issue for us.

The Good:
The room (while small) was well appointed and modern. Bedding was comfortable
Ski pass from the hotel comes at a good price
Very affordable

The Bad:
No elevator made carrying luggage and gear a bit of a hassle
There was a VERY LOUD event occurring in the hotel which we found inconsiderate to other guests
The restaurant was closed on Saturday night to accommodate an event. We planned to eat in town but it would have been courteous to inform guests of this inconvenience ahead of time.
Parking was limited and we had to park essentially back at the road.

Overall, we'd stay here again for the price, but there are certainly some better options in Banff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We’re glad to hear that you were generally very happy with your stay with us! I am sorry that there was a loud party that disturbed your sleep, we are moving away from hosting large parties because of this reason. The one you experienced was booked long in advance of our new policy and I apologize it disturbed you.

It’s great however that you found the bedding comfortable and our prices reasonable. Thanks for taking the time to write a review, we hope to see you again soon!
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed for five nights at The Juniper two years ago and could not wait to go back so I booked 7 nights there recently. It was a disaster. The rooms were fine but the noise problems with heating fans going on constantly and so loudly that the bed and the reading chair and the floor actually shook every time the heating system under my room went on. I slept perhaps maximum two hours a night. I changed rooms once and it was no better, perhaps worse. I asked and almost begged for something to be done but only the last night of my stay ( all other hotels were full or i would have moved), the woman at the desk said she would simply go to the room under mine i.e. Room 105 and turn the heat down so the fans would not come on at least as often or until I had a chance to get to sleep. Eureka! One night's sleep in seven. As if no-one else at the desk knew about this problem let alone did anything about it. It ruined my trip as I was too tired to hardly function each day. Why oh why did they only think of this the last night I was there? There is a real attitude of complacency of most staff there.

On top of this, the hotel has lost the very gifted chef they once had. I had dinner there once this time whereas based on past experience, I planned to have all my meals there. The trout was very undercooked, and when I mentioned it, all I got was a 'that's too bad. I will tell the chef.' No-one was interested in asking if they could cook it a bit more or anything like that. At the same time, someone decided to do some high pitched drilling in the dining room. Why could they not have waited for a few minutes for me to finish my meal at least? I ate at 7pm so it was not at any out of the ordinary time for dinner.

I had one breakfast there also and ordered two poached eggs and toast.Poached eggs were hard boiled- no-one asked how I would like them and i forgot to ask. I then asked if i could have some jam. I was charged an extra $3. It is not the money; it's the smallness. You are there for a whole week and they charge you for two tablespoons of jam!

There is something really wrong at the hotel and it is such a shame as a great reputation is being ruined in a very short time. Bring back a good chef, some good restaurant staff, fix the heating fans so visitors can at least enjoy a night's sleep and try to find solutions to problems when your clients are already there.

I rarely write reviews and certainly not of this length but felt I had to this time to help others avoid the disappointing and frustrating time I had. When you spend $1000. you expect to sleep at least. BUT a big thank-you to Jackie who was professional enough to try to help and did fix the noise on her only night at the front desk while i was there. I was so grateful to her. To its' credit also, the Hotel reduced the overall bill somewhat. Still, it would be great to have the real first rate Juniper back again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 205 which is a premium room on the 2nd floor and check the noise level from f...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review, I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. We are working hard to improve ourselves and find your feedback helpful to this process.

We are already addressing some of the issues you are highlighting. We plan to implement better soundproofing measures soon. We have found the cause of noise in the heating and are fixing it currently. However, there is no excuse for your matter not being addressed sooner, so we do apologize that you were unable to sleep during your stay.

As for the Bistro, we do serve the trout medium rare, however our staff should have checked with you that this was how you like it, the same goes for the eggs. I apologize for that. You should not have been charged for jam and we have already followed up with the staff to ensure this won’t happen again. Our maintenance staff did check before starting the drilling as the task needed to be completed that day and you were the only person in the dining room, I apologize that you found it disturbing after all.

It’s thoroughly disappointing to hear that you didn’t enjoy the food or your stay – we are trying hard to improve guest experiences all the time. I do hope that we will get a chance to change your mind in the future and prove that we have addressed many of the issues mentioned here. Thanks again for taking the time to review us.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to The Juniper Hotel? Share your experiences!