“Excellent spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Juniper Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Juniper Hotel to your Saves list
The Juniper Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Juniper Way | Mount Norquay Rd, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1W 2C3, Canada   |
Ranked #15 of 33 hotels in Banff
Strathmore, Canada
“Excellent spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Staff are incredibly friendly and helpful! Couldn't ask for a better spot to stay in the national park for a few days for a great price. The hotel is just 2 minutes outside of Banff, right off the highway, so it's easy to get to any of the ski resorts. The Juniper will be my go to place for ski trips around a the Banff area.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We’re glad that we worked so well as a base camp for your ski adventures. We hope to see you again soon… Did you know we’ve 18cm of fresh snow in the last two days?!

333 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed with a friend for a ski weekend, and was generally very happy. Could have been excellent with a few improvements. It is just across the highway from town, which wasn't a big issue for us.

The Good:
The room (while small) was well appointed and modern. Bedding was comfortable
Ski pass from the hotel comes at a good price
Very affordable

The Bad:
No elevator made carrying luggage and gear a bit of a hassle
There was a VERY LOUD event occurring in the hotel which we found inconsiderate to other guests
The restaurant was closed on Saturday night to accommodate an event. We planned to eat in town but it would have been courteous to inform guests of this inconvenience ahead of time.
Parking was limited and we had to park essentially back at the road.

Overall, we'd stay here again for the price, but there are certainly some better options in Banff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We’re glad to hear that you were generally very happy with your stay with us! I am sorry that there was a loud party that disturbed your sleep, we are moving away from hosting large parties because of this reason. The one you experienced was booked long in advance of our new policy and I apologize it disturbed you.

It’s great however that you found the bedding comfortable and our prices reasonable. Thanks for taking the time to write a review, we hope to see you again soon!
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed for five nights at The Juniper two years ago and could not wait to go back so I booked 7 nights there recently. It was a disaster. The rooms were fine but the noise problems with heating fans going on constantly and so loudly that the bed and the reading chair and the floor actually shook every time the heating system under my room went on. I slept perhaps maximum two hours a night. I changed rooms once and it was no better, perhaps worse. I asked and almost begged for something to be done but only the last night of my stay ( all other hotels were full or i would have moved), the woman at the desk said she would simply go to the room under mine i.e. Room 105 and turn the heat down so the fans would not come on at least as often or until I had a chance to get to sleep. Eureka! One night's sleep in seven. As if no-one else at the desk knew about this problem let alone did anything about it. It ruined my trip as I was too tired to hardly function each day. Why oh why did they only think of this the last night I was there? There is a real attitude of complacency of most staff there.

On top of this, the hotel has lost the very gifted chef they once had. I had dinner there once this time whereas based on past experience, I planned to have all my meals there. The trout was very undercooked, and when I mentioned it, all I got was a 'that's too bad. I will tell the chef.' No-one was interested in asking if they could cook it a bit more or anything like that. At the same time, someone decided to do some high pitched drilling in the dining room. Why could they not have waited for a few minutes for me to finish my meal at least? I ate at 7pm so it was not at any out of the ordinary time for dinner.

I had one breakfast there also and ordered two poached eggs and toast.Poached eggs were hard boiled- no-one asked how I would like them and i forgot to ask. I then asked if i could have some jam. I was charged an extra $3. It is not the money; it's the smallness. You are there for a whole week and they charge you for two tablespoons of jam!

There is something really wrong at the hotel and it is such a shame as a great reputation is being ruined in a very short time. Bring back a good chef, some good restaurant staff, fix the heating fans so visitors can at least enjoy a night's sleep and try to find solutions to problems when your clients are already there.

I rarely write reviews and certainly not of this length but felt I had to this time to help others avoid the disappointing and frustrating time I had. When you spend $1000. you expect to sleep at least. BUT a big thank-you to Jackie who was professional enough to try to help and did fix the noise on her only night at the front desk while i was there. I was so grateful to her. To its' credit also, the Hotel reduced the overall bill somewhat. Still, it would be great to have the real first rate Juniper back again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 205 which is a premium room on the 2nd floor and check the noise level from f...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review, I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. We are working hard to improve ourselves and find your feedback helpful to this process.

We are already addressing some of the issues you are highlighting. We plan to implement better soundproofing measures soon. We have found the cause of noise in the heating and are fixing it currently. However, there is no excuse for your matter not being addressed sooner, so we do apologize that you were unable to sleep during your stay.

As for the Bistro, we do serve the trout medium rare, however our staff should have checked with you that this was how you like it, the same goes for the eggs. I apologize for that. You should not have been charged for jam and we have already followed up with the staff to ensure this won’t happen again. Our maintenance staff did check before starting the drilling as the task needed to be completed that day and you were the only person in the dining room, I apologize that you found it disturbing after all.

It’s thoroughly disappointing to hear that you didn’t enjoy the food or your stay – we are trying hard to improve guest experiences all the time. I do hope that we will get a chance to change your mind in the future and prove that we have addressed many of the issues mentioned here. Thanks again for taking the time to review us.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I have to preface this review with the fact that we stayed at the hotel during a long weekend and you can expect things to be 'livelier' than normal during that time. However we heard a lot of noise in the hallway and overhead that I wouldn't have expected to hear in a hotel. Thankfully my kids slept though most of it otherwise I would be less generous in my review.

The rooms are small but I've stayed in a similar size at the Banff Springs, the view was awesome and I loved the fact that this hotel could accomidate pets. Very nice to hear.

Room Tip: Select a room away from an exit and as high up as you can get.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I apologize that you found it noisy. We do operate in an older, wooden framed building that does sometimes allow noise to travel. We plan to implement better soundproofing in the near future, I do hope this will be in place for your next visit.

I’m glad you were able to enjoy the views and bring your pet along too! We hope to see you again soon!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We checked in to a very dirty room. Even after housekeeping attended again there was still concerns. Thoroughly disappointed with our stay. Will likely never return. We have stayed many times and have never had an issue with any aspect of the hotel. It is our favourite spot in Banff. I Will no longer recommend the Juniper to anyone. The cleanliness has certainly gone down hill. Very upset. What a waste of a night in beautiful Banff. I was disgusted staying in a room where there was visible "leftovers" from the previous guests stay. Just gross.

• Stayed February 2014
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Katlyn,

Firstly, I am very sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your recent visit to our property.

I’d like to take the time to explain the housekeeping issues that you have highlighted. Unfortunately the two rose petals from the previous couple who got engaged at the hotel fell out of sight were missed by our housekeeping staff and I do apologize for that. The smear on the slate table cannot be removed, though I can assure you it has been scrubbed clean. We hope to replace this piece of furniture in the future, however that process does take time. We are now aware that the tile in the bathroom is broken and will have it fixed as soon as possible, I apologize again for this oversight.

We value your feedback and will take it on board to ensure that our housekeeping staff are more diligent in the future. I do believe you spoke to a manager about your disappointments and would like to encourage you to contact him directly about your concerns and the next time you are coming to Banff. I hope you will not discount us and will give us a chance to change your minds.

Thanks for your feedback.
Camrose, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed in one of the panoramic rooms with a balcony from February 1 - 3, 2014. We were very happy with the location of this hotel - just a couple of kms away from Banff townsite and from Mt. Norquay. However, the room itself was much smaller and more "dated" than we thought it was going to be (the rug and the TV in particular were amongst the out-of-date items), but overall the beautiful view and the nicely-re-done bathroom helped to offset those couple of things. The staff at the hotel were excellent - very friendly and courteous across the board. All in all, this was a quaint, nice place to spend a couple of days at.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for writing a review! I’m sorry to hear that you found the rooms a little dated, we are slowly working on renovating the hotel. We’ve already replaced the boilers that heat the hotel, re-floored the Bistro Kitchen and upgraded the ventilation system and we plan to give the walls a lick of fresh paint, have the carpets replaced in the hallways and implement some new soundproofing in the near future. We would also like to replace the TV’s and the furniture in rooms in the long run too, however it does take time.

It’s great to hear that you find our staff excellent. We try to provide friendly and warm guest service to every guest in our small and intimate 52 room hotel. Thanks for choosing to stay with us, I hope we see you again soon!
Cold Lake, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed Friday and Saturday night the 31Jan - 2 Feb at a very good rate of $95/night. Good value as the front desk was friendly and professional ensuring a quick check in and easily answered the typical tourist questions. Even made the call for dinner reservation. Furniture was older and worn, linens newer and pillows and bed were very comfortable. Small bathroom with shower only and awkward to utilize due to "squishing" just to close the bathroom door or open the shower door. Smallest bathroom I've seen in a hotel but clean with good clean towels. Hotel is on the opposite side of the trans Canada from Banff so was quiet. The restaraunt was not open in the hotel due to renovation although we heard none of the construction noise. There is no elevator here so be happy there are only a couple of floors and hallways are quite wide.
Overall value was good. Furniture needs updating, requires painting. Sounds like my home except my ensuite is twice the size of their washroom :) I didn't ask if room renos or updates were coming after the bistro is completed...even if they're not updating rooms I'd stay again due to value. Can't beat the price to get the basics.

Room Tip: No elevators for physically impaired ski junkies lol. Don't break a leg if you stay here or you...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Warren,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us at The Juniper Hotel. It’s great to hear you think we are good value and that the front desk was helpful.

I’m glad you asked whether we would be doing extra renovations as we do plan to paint the walls, have the hallway carpets replaced, as well as introduce soundproofing measures throughout the hotel. I hope they will be in place for your next visit. The Juniper Bistro renovations are also now complete and the restaurant is open again.

Unfortunately things like the bathroom size, we are cannot change! However if having a large bathroom is important to you, on your next visit, you should consider staying in one of our King Suites as they do have much larger bathrooms with rain-like showers and a couples Jacuzzi.

We hope to see you again soon! Thanks for taking the time to review us.

Been to The Juniper Hotel? Share your experiences!