“Never staying there again!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Juniper Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Juniper Hotel to your Saves list
The Juniper Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Juniper Way | Mount Norquay Rd, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1W 2C3, Canada   |
Ranked #13 of 33 hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“Never staying there again!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend went there to have a romantic get away last weekend, well...
1. Room wasn't ready 2 hours after checkout time
2. We got ' upgraded'. I booked that hotel specifically for the fireplace and they 'upgraded' us to one without it and a patio
3. I booked room with king bed it was actually two single mattresses pushed together- I fell threw all night an didn't sleep
4. Walls are paper thin- we could hear everyone around us

• Stayed January 2014
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Sorry to hear that you didn’t have a pleasant stay with us. We can assure you that it is not standard practice to take so long for you room to be ready. This issue will be raised with our housekeeping department to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.

We do operate in a hotel that has many different room types and we apologize that you did not get put in one that was to your satisfaction despite it being an upgrade.

You’ll be pleased to hear that we have heard your feedback on the soundproofing issues and are taking them on board. We are undergoing a closure at the end of this month to address the soundproofing issue as well as giving the hotel new carpets and a fresh coat of paint.

We’re sorry to hear that you won’t visit us again and hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

Kind Regards,

The Juniper GM

352 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Our son got married at The Juniper 2 weeks ago. His wedding was on a Monday and we stayed at the hotel from Saturday, through Tuesday. The first night we had to take a downstairs room, which, while clean and serviceable, was rather small. The next two nights we had one of the fireplace suites and it was fabulous! So, rooms are fine, but the defining point of this hotel is its staff! From Will, Jackie, Sarah and Justine, all of them went above and beyond to ensure that our experience was stellar. Because this is the 'off season' the Bistro is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. This wasn't a huge problem as it's very close to downtown (5 minute cab ride, $10 - with tip). We were able to arrange, with Justine to have Sarah tend bar while the newlyweds went off-site for pictures. The service of these women was outstanding. Kudos to all of you!

We had breakfast in the Bistro on Sunday morning and while it was good, it was not spectacular - what was spectacular though, was the view!

We walked back from town during the day. It was an easy walk and quite refreshing, even in December.

I would highly recommend the Juniper.

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms on the 2nd floor with the balconies.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your glowing review! We really strive to provide friendly and personal customer service so we’re glad to hear you experienced that. Congratulations on your son’s wedding and we hope to see visit us again soon!
Camrose, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our wedding on November 23 at the Juniper Hotel in Banff. We chose this venue after looking at many others with our fantastic planner in the Banff area and several things stood out. The uninterupted view on the south side is fantastic. Looking over Vermillion Lakes and across the valley to the Banff Springs is one of the instant attractions. The rooms and suites on the 2nd floor are quite comfortable and well appointed. The washrooms appear relatively new for fixtures and the beds are very comfortable. The first floor rooms do feel smaller and are a bit colder on the south side with the doors leading to the patios, but still have great beds and good washrooms. The floors are the original hardwood which is a nice touch and understandably helps the pet friendly rooms for cleanliness. We have stayed here with our dog before and again for the wedding and the pet bed, treats, bags and food/water dishes were a thoughtful touch. The cleaning, maintenance, desk and event staff were all great to work with for the event and went out of their way to be accomodating for every request. All of our guests enjoyed the convenience of the single location for the wedding and reception, commenting positively on the quality of the rooms and venue, including the food at the Bistro. The art and historical displays through out the site are nice and I enjoyed the reading and presentation, including the trail camera slideshow on the lobby computer station!
The hotel could use an update in new paint and finishings. New windows and doors would help with some of the outside noise and cold feet issues on the lower floors. It is a boutique hotel, not a standard chain, and one should realize that when booking. It was built in the 1940's or 50's so there are some smaller rooms. Being wood frame, it is also noisier as the insulation and seperation of spaces isn't the same as newer properties. Light sleepers and or folks looking for greater solitude and luxury may want to look elsewhere. I tend to use my earplugs and didn't have any problems though. It is located away from Banff above Highway #1 which is quite busy and can disturb a peaceful view and relaxation looking over the valley if one let's it. It can be nice to stay away from down town in Banff, though being within walking of the main drag has it's attractions too. Realize what you are looking for when you choose. The Juniper is quaint and nice, a little dated and worn but very comfortable. The food is outstanding though portions in breakfast may not be to somes tastes. The service was fantastic from all areas and it can be more relaxing to stay away from the crowds, if you're willing to drive/hike a bit for attractions. I do think new windows, doors, and paint would go a long way in a bit of a refresh. Thanks for making our wedding the memorable event it was with your help!

Room Tip: I would suggest 2nd floor on the south side. The 3 suites are very nice. The chalets on the back of...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a considered review of our property! I’m glad to hear you found the overall experience pleasant. We do pride ourselves in offering a unique and distinctive hotel experience and I’m glad you appreciated that aspect.

I’m also pleased to tell you that we have taken your feedback onboard and are tending to some of the issues you mentioned above. In January 2014 will be taking the time to give the hotel a refresh. Including a lick of fresh paint, new carpets and measures to improve soundproofing as well. Next time you visit we hope you notice the differences! We look forward to having you stay again soon, and congratulations on tying the knot!
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The good: Excellent front desk staff who are competent, helpful and seemed like genuinely decent and friendly people. Easy check in, readily available and close parking. Adequately sized rooms, quality bedding, impressive outdoor hot tub with a great view of the mountains. Quiet area away from the town noise. Very fair price for a Banff hotel.
Needs improvement: Sound proofing simply is not there, meaning if the guests above you make noise or even just walk by in the hallway, you will certainly hear it. Not walking distance to town in the winter, but perhaps ok in the summer. Cleaning staff were very polite but all room light appliances were dusty and looked like they had not been cleaned in a long time. Restaurant food was good but could use some more selections.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

We operate inside a building that was built in the late 1950’s with a wooden frame, rich with history but unfortunately not well soundproofed. We are in the process of looking into different options to better soundproof the rooms, however it does take time. I apologize that you found it noisy.

However, there is no excuse for the cleaning not being up to par. I apologize that you found the appliances dusty, I’ll ensure you’re feedback is passed on to our housekeeping manager to ensure it doesn’t happen in the future.

I am glad to hear that you found the front desk so helpful. We pride ourselves in providing genuine and personal customer service to every guest and it’s great to hear you experienced that. I hope that you would stay with us again, thanks for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate your feedback.
North Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Dog friendly hotel. Our view was absolutely stunning, facing the mountains in the east and a deck outside our room. our room was located at the end of the hall right beside the hot tub. Hot tub hours were supposed to be until 10 but someone was in it until 10:45 and no one checked to make sure they were out by the noted time. we could hear it running the whole time.
Small room for 3 adults & 2 dogs but we made it work. we had to bring in a dog blanket as the floors are wood with no padding or carpet. The restaurant was closed while we were there so they offered coffee & muffins in the morning. Close enough drive into town to go to a restauant. the front lobby had a night cam video playing showing deer, sheep, a grizzly bear & a cougar in the are. Nice to know since we had our dogs with us.
i would stay there again just for the view.

Room Tip: dog friendly
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review! I’m glad to hear you would stay with us again for the stunning panoramic views that you experienced from our location. I’m sorry to hear you thought the room was small, however normally our front desk agents would recommend two rooms for the number of people in your party, did you ask for their suggestions when booking?

Great to hear you found the video in the lobby informative, it was footage taken from a wildlife camera by Parks Canada a few years ago to show people just how alive the woods are around them!

We hope to share our amazing views with you again soon!
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

The main reason we picked the Juniper was that fact that they are pet friendly and advertise on their website various perks such as dog beds, bowls and such. We have friends who stayed a couple years ago and raved about the pet friendliness of the hotel.

What we found when we arrived was far from the great reviews of our friends. We had to be moved from our first room as there was a strong odour (sewage) in the room. The front desk was accommodating and didn't question a thing about my complaint and moved us to a room down the hall. This room was lacking the smell so we were happy. Neither room had any of the pet extra's they advertise and while the view was fantastic the room itself was small and quite basic. I'd just spent the weekend before at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge and for the same rate I had a bigger room and a fireplace.

The second disappointing thing that happened involved taxi's into town. Again, we had been told by 2 different couples that the hotel offers taxi coupons into town for guests. When we ate in the restaurant on our first night we overheard a server offering these coupons to the table next to us. The following evening we asked for a taxi and one was called for us. I asked about the coupons and the woman said they didn't do that. When I told her that we heard the server offer them she basically looked like we caught her in a lie. She responded with "we don't have any left". Wait a sec, thought you didn't offer them at all? The next day when we checked out I mentioned this and the person at the front desk said that they offer them to guests who eat at the restaurant. Haha, this is after she reviewed the restaurant cost billed to my room. Then she said they offer it to people coming in from town as an incentive to come to the restaurant. So, I guess they don't need to offer incentives to their own guests.

Overall, other than the view, there is absolutely no reason to stay at this hotel. Stay in town. If you have pets there are a number of places, Banff Springs, Rimrock, Buffalo Mountain Lodge, that accommodate. They may be more expensive but i'd spend a bit more to have a nicer room and greater convenience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

I’m sorry to hear there was confusion over the taxi vouchers. It seems the purpose of the taxi vouchers was not communicated clearly enough to our staff. We offer vouchers to ensure that patrons get home safely after enjoying a meal and drinks with us. We do not normally offer the vouchers to guests wishing to get downtown during the day or without a meal as most guests have a vehicle of their own. I’ll ensure all staff are understanding and honest about this situation moving forward. I’m sorry that you were misled about the vouchers by a server. She should have admitted we had run out and arranged another way you could be reimbursed for your travel downtown after you had dined with us.

I apologize that you did not receive any pet amenities in your room, this is not normal protocol. We normally supply guests travelling with a pet: a plush pet bed, food dish & water bowl, pet friendly trail maps and clean up baggies. Did you make this known to the staff during your stay?

As for the smell in your first room, I apologize again. I cannot think why this would be the case and I’m glad that the staff were so accommodating in rearranging a room for you. We strive to offer a personalized stay in a more remote woodland setting than the hotels downtown. I apologize that you did not get to experience us at our best. If you were to visit us again, I’m sure we would be able to change your mind.

Kind Regards,

The Juniper GM
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My daughter and her husband we married here seven years ago and we were so pleased with the Hotel and restaurant that we try and visit when ever we get to Banff. Great atmosphere, well appointed and the food in the restaurant never disappoints.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view facing south.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
JuniperGM, General Manager at The Juniper Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your great feedback! We’re glad to be able to offer consistent and pleasant experience for you and your family. Make sure you sign up to our email newsletter if you haven’t already so that you’ll hear about the special rates and offers we have first! Sometimes there may even be exclusive offers for returning guests like yourself. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us!

Been to The Juniper Hotel? Share your experiences!