“located just outside Banff, a surprising place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Juniper Hotel

You added The Juniper Hotel to your Saves list
The Juniper Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Juniper Way | Mount Norquay Rd, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1W 2C3, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Almere, Netherlands
“located just outside Banff, a surprising place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel is fairly new and located outside Banff next to the HWY1. So you need a car for the short ride to town.
The hotel has a Japanese atmosphere and there is a lot of First Nations and other art in the hotel. Bar and restaurant are present which make it nice if you are not able or not interested in going out to Banff.
Rooms are standard with good beds and enough space. Friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
oakville ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed here at the end of august. When we showed up the girls at the front desk were great! When they looked at our reservation the girl told us for 50 dollars more she could upgrade us from our Noroquay view room to the view of Banff. I told her I was a little skeptical about being beside the highway and she assured us it was really nothing the odd truck makes it loud. We trusted her opinion and upgrade to room 102. My jaw dropped the second I opened the door. The room is so nice very modern and the view was just unbelievable. It is small but who cares you have your own little patio outside your door. The bed was so comfortable and the room was immaculately clean. The noise from the highway is nothing we weren't disturbed once in our room by anything. The jacuzzi was great your literally looking out over Banff. There was nothing better then waking up to that view! The girls at the desk were great beyond nice! I would recommend this hotel to anyone it was phenomenal! GO HERE! by the way from other reviews I'd ask for room 101-104 they were all in the same hallway where we stayed! Again blew away my expectations

Room Tip: Do the upgrade mount Noroquay rooms are at the parking lot. I was in room 102 the hallway is 101 - 1...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Spruce Grove
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We were there for a convention. We had asked for a mountain view room with a deck. We got the main floor with a "sort of" deck. The view was beautiful! Needs some updates done. The second floor is loud, they need to upgrade and soundproof the floors. We had to ask for shampoo, conditioner, soap and face cloths. The bed was very comfortable. Once the people in the room above us stopped moving, we were able to sleep. The food in the restaurant was good and the prices reasonable. The cost of drinks in the lounge/bar was also reasonable. The staff all seemed friendly and ready to assist. The WIFI was hit and miss in the room. The Juniper is across the highway from Banff, cabfare is approximately $8 to the townsite. Not sure if we would stay again, however, would not tell someone not to stay at the Juniper Hotel & Bistro.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room or suite with a mountain view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The rooms I've stayed at so far at the Juniper Hotel have incredible views and offer plenty of fresh air via patios/balconies, and windows that let in the mtn breeze.The rooms are cozy, but we're never in Banff to stay inside anyhow. The beds and linens are always very comfortable and clean, and the bathrooms have been updated to reflect the sophistication of a smart boutique hotel. The hotel embraces its "lodge" past with interesting artifacts in the rooms and hanging in the hallways. Breakfast in the Juniper Bistro can't be beat: killer mtn view with delicious and nutritious food, making for a wonderful start to the day's adventures. The Bistro is also a fab place to relax with an excellent microbrew at day's end. We'll keep going back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Burbank, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This was the 2nd night of our honeymoon, and after night 1 at the Fox, we had high expectations. We walk in to the "private" property on the hill, and are greeted by an unpleasant girl at the front desk. She wasn't mean, but could not even manage a smile. Told her it was our honeymoon, still no reaction or any kind of "congratulations". That's fine, not everyone is friendly. She hands us the bill to sign, and it is over $100 more than what I booked online (through their site). I show her my copy of the reservation, and she crosses out the $350, and hand writes $250 (the price I booked). Seemed sketchy, but again, no big deal. We look around for an elevator to our 2nd floor room only to discover there is NO ELEVATOR. I know it's only 2 floors, but seriously?! Maybe we just couldn't find it, but we looked up and down the halls before lugging our suitcases up the stairs. We find our room and go inside, only to find it looks nothing like what I booked. It is clean and does have the jacuzzi, but there is no fireplace and no balcony. I go down to talk to the girl at the front desk, show her my confirmation which clearly states "fireplace/jacuzzi" suite, and she informs me that "well, 2 of the suites have fireplaces, 1 doesn't". Okay, well this is not what I booked. It wouldn't be a huge deal, but this is my honeymoon, and the room is not at all what I paid for. Unapologetic, she states, "Well, I don't know what you want me to do. I can offer you free breakfast." Her words exactly. I told her as nice I could, that breakfast wouldn't cut it, I wanted the room I booked. I didn't expect them to kick someone else out, but I needed to talk to someone else. She grumpily walked off, and eventually brought back "events manager: Mike Dubreuil". Mike was extremely nice and told me he was sorry, and that they could do "any number of things for me", except give me the room I booked. I told him I appreciate it, and that I was going to first try and book a different hotel. He understood and said that was no problem. After some searching, I found one of the last decent places available in Banff, and booked the Banff Inn. We couldn't have gotten out of there fast enough. We return to the front desk and tell the girl that we aren't going to be staying, and very nicely explain it wasn't a big deal, but for our honeymoon it was unacceptable. Her words exactly, "Just give me your keys". I asked for some kind of receipt to insure they wouldn't bill my card, and she said "there's nothing I can give you. I'm not billing you." Darn right you're not. I feared for the rest of the week something sneaky was coming, but nothing ever did. Bottom line: manager Mike was very nice, the room was decent (WAY overpriced for what it is -- please go to the FOX), the hotel feels very dated despite the renovations, and the front desk service was the worst I've ever experienced. We went to the Banff Inn and had a wonderful night. Others seemed to have had much better experiences, but I caution heavily about staying here. Even if you think you have a nice room, it might be different once you get there.

Room Tip: Keep expectations low.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

one night on the 29th of August 2012 for work

Room is small, but not uncomfortable. King sized bed, an occassional chair, desk and chair, console TV. The bathroom is also small - the tub was in good shape but also small. The renos in the room and bathroom are fine.

The best thing about the room is the view - lots of windows. Room 107, balcony with chairs and door to balcony. Even if the room is mediocre the view is incredible. There is some traffic noise from the highway but it didn't bother my sleep.

Bed was very comfrotable, as were the sheets. Pillows were too high for my preference.

Probably wouldn't stay here for personal travel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the juniper for a buddies wedding. First thoughts in my mind when I saw it from highway was omg this place looks old and crappy! Did that ever change when we walked in!! The service was top notch!! The place is a beauty very modern inside and the rooms are great!! The location is out of town which is kinda a pain if you want to walk however in my eyes it just made it feel like you were deep in the mOuntains !! I highly recommend this place, in the hundreds of hotels I've stayed at she is in my top 5!!

• Stayed September 2011

Been to The Juniper Hotel? Share your experiences!