“Adequate, but not for me again” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Driftwood Inn

Save Saved
You added Driftwood Inn to your Saves list
Driftwood Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   337 Banff Ave | Box 1070, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #29 of 33 hotels in Banff
Annapolis Valley, NS
“Adequate, but not for me again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I spent 4 nights in Banff, my longest visit yet. I have stayed in Banff many times at various hotels, including the Driftwood. This time I chose the Driftwood because my regular discount hotel, the Bow View Inn, was booked. This is the last time I go cheap in Banff and never at the Driftwood again. However, that is more a comment on my travel choice than the Driftwood itself. For the price, in Banff, the Driftwood is adequate, but on this stay there were just enough things that went wrong that I will not return. The bed was old and had slight sag, the room was too warm, and the bathroom is just that much too small (and no sink plug). On the Saturday night of my stay there was a large dog barking until midnight with a smaller dog responding every now and then. The cleaning time of the rooms was unpredictable and done by a group of young staff on the floor all at once (not a problem, just different to my experience). Several of the rooms appear to be longer term rentals to youth working in the town, as just a quick look in the rooms, in passing, looked like a frat house blew up! Plus there was an odd smell in the hallways. There was ample parking and the services of the Ptarmigan Inn are available to guests, i.e. pool, gym, etc. but I did not have time to use them this time. Overall, the Driftwood is a reasonable value for a Banff visitor on a budget, but I will choose to spend a little more next time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

The driftwood in was by far the cheapest place to stay in Banff. And with immaculately clean rooms and the use of the amenities next door it's hard to justify paying extra to stay anywhere else. Right in the heart of the town with lots of parking outside your window came in very handy as we had our new mountain bikes in the back of my truck. But the best of all way the BED. I've never slept in anything more comfortable, say what you will about the decor, or rest of the bedroom furniture but a good bed and clean bathroom is all anybody needs. We arrived extremely late the first night and they did not charge us for it. We will be back to Banff and stay nowhere else but the driftwood. Absolute bargain!

• Stayed May 2014
Nelson, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

This place might have been a decent deal if they were honest about their extra charges, but they were not. Pay attention to your credit card bill to see if they over-charge you for cleaning, etc. The place is very dated too, with terrible insulation and noisy windows that leak air. There was no light in the bathroom above the sink. The old couch in the room was so uncomfortable it is pretty much useless. Avoid if you can.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Would I stay here again? Only if I had to. The room was old, dated, the footboard was chewed by dogs, the pine tables had cig burns, etc but the bathroom and linens were clean. Although, the mattress had a feather bed on it which made me wonder what it was hiding on the mattress. When I walked into the building the smell of smoke was VERY strong, but it didn't smell in my room, the lobby carpets were filthy, the building is neglected by the cleaning staff.. A specific smell of a garbage room lingered in a certain parts of the hallway and I found out why. An older gentleman lives in one of the rooms and his room is jammed with things he's hoarded.. I saw him coming in with a bunch of treasures he collected thru his day... And when he opened his door I was shocked.. I'm a social worker, I don't judge, but, not only are those conditions unsanitary and dangerous for him and his health, but they're dangerous for paying guests as well...bacteria, smells, infestations, etc. I gave the man a bag of fruit because I felt I needed to.. I don't believe this gentleman should be evicted, but he should be looked after. Now, as for staff, I asked for coffee Whitner and after waiting over an hr and calling the front desk again, a staff member knocked on my door with sugar packets and when I asked about Whitner he said they don't have any... I went to the front desk and got them myself. It's a noisy Inn and cleaning staff were vacuuming the rooms or hallways after 9:30 PM!! The one thing that bothered me the most was that the door to get into the lobby required a key(check in and front desk in the main hotel next door) but, I'm not sure what the purpose of that locked door is when the other door is propped open all day and turns out doesn't require a key at all. It almost felt like guests in the main more expensive hotel were more important than those who stayed at the Driftwood. I would only stay here again as a last resort.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Not a lavish hotel but clean and comfortable. Must check in at the Ptarmigan which is next door. You have access to the Ptarmigan pool and fitness centre. for the price it works for short stays. Rooms are a bit small but not a big deal if you are out and about. Steady hot water in the shower and the place was quiet during our stay on a Saturday night.

Room Tip: Must check in at the Ptarmigan which is next door.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Trail, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

The room was clean and bright and the bed was comfortable. Tried to use the wifi but it was very weak. Would have to go over the the Ptarmigan to get a better feed. The place was quiet and was reasonable for the price paid.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Oakville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The hotel is very central in Banff and is quiet. The price is good for Banff.
It is an annex of Ptarmingan Inn therefor there is no reception at the Driftwood Inn, For any question or help you need to go to the Ptarmingan. That reception there was friendly and helpful. We lost the key of our room and we received a new one without charge or fuss.
The carpet at the Driftwood Inn were disgustingly stained, the bathroom was very small but the beds were good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Driftwood Inn? Share your experiences!