“misleading and dishonest” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Driftwood Inn

Save Saved
You added Driftwood Inn to your Saves list
Driftwood Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   337 Banff Ave | Box 1070, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #29 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Nelson, Canada
“misleading and dishonest”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

This place might have been a decent deal if they were honest about their extra charges, but they were not. Pay attention to your credit card bill to see if they over-charge you for cleaning, etc. The place is very dated too, with terrible insulation and noisy windows that leak air. There was no light in the bathroom above the sink. The old couch in the room was so uncomfortable it is pretty much useless. Avoid if you can.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Would I stay here again? Only if I had to. The room was old, dated, the footboard was chewed by dogs, the pine tables had cig burns, etc but the bathroom and linens were clean. Although, the mattress had a feather bed on it which made me wonder what it was hiding on the mattress. When I walked into the building the smell of smoke was VERY strong, but it didn't smell in my room, the lobby carpets were filthy, the building is neglected by the cleaning staff.. A specific smell of a garbage room lingered in a certain parts of the hallway and I found out why. An older gentleman lives in one of the rooms and his room is jammed with things he's hoarded.. I saw him coming in with a bunch of treasures he collected thru his day... And when he opened his door I was shocked.. I'm a social worker, I don't judge, but, not only are those conditions unsanitary and dangerous for him and his health, but they're dangerous for paying guests as well...bacteria, smells, infestations, etc. I gave the man a bag of fruit because I felt I needed to.. I don't believe this gentleman should be evicted, but he should be looked after. Now, as for staff, I asked for coffee Whitner and after waiting over an hr and calling the front desk again, a staff member knocked on my door with sugar packets and when I asked about Whitner he said they don't have any... I went to the front desk and got them myself. It's a noisy Inn and cleaning staff were vacuuming the rooms or hallways after 9:30 PM!! The one thing that bothered me the most was that the door to get into the lobby required a key(check in and front desk in the main hotel next door) but, I'm not sure what the purpose of that locked door is when the other door is propped open all day and turns out doesn't require a key at all. It almost felt like guests in the main more expensive hotel were more important than those who stayed at the Driftwood. I would only stay here again as a last resort.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Not a lavish hotel but clean and comfortable. Must check in at the Ptarmigan which is next door. You have access to the Ptarmigan pool and fitness centre. for the price it works for short stays. Rooms are a bit small but not a big deal if you are out and about. Steady hot water in the shower and the place was quiet during our stay on a Saturday night.

Room Tip: Must check in at the Ptarmigan which is next door.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Trail, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

The room was clean and bright and the bed was comfortable. Tried to use the wifi but it was very weak. Would have to go over the the Ptarmigan to get a better feed. The place was quiet and was reasonable for the price paid.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Oakville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The hotel is very central in Banff and is quiet. The price is good for Banff.
It is an annex of Ptarmingan Inn therefor there is no reception at the Driftwood Inn, For any question or help you need to go to the Ptarmingan. That reception there was friendly and helpful. We lost the key of our room and we received a new one without charge or fuss.
The carpet at the Driftwood Inn were disgustingly stained, the bathroom was very small but the beds were good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Red Deer, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We booked in advance for last weekend, Melissa's Road Race weekend when all the hotels jump in price and got a rate of $89/night + tax which was awesome. Good location, really decent room actually with two beds seperated by a bathroom so it was almost like having two seperate rooms. Unfortunately while packing to leave the next morning I saw a bug crawling on my bed and squished it to find it was filled with fresh blood... cue panick but I had a busy day ahead so I didn't stop to look into it. Upon getting home I discovered my entire body was covered in bites and looked up bed bugs and sure enough they look identical to the little bug I squished. I called the hotel to let them know that room 265 likely has an infestation and they have said they will look into it and apologized but didn't offer me anything for it. Next time I'll spend the extra $50/night to stay at the actual Ptarmagin or Caribou Lodge where I've stayed before and not experienced bed bugs!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have visited Banff multiple times now and have stayed at different hotels each time. I was visiting this time during a busy event weekend, so I chose Driftwood Inn because they had the lowest cost (still close enough to town), and we were traveling with our dog this time, so we needed pet-friendly.

Pros:
Decent location (walking distance to everything) and good price. The bed was really comfortable and the room was big enough to accommodate our dog. They also allowed us late checkout upon request which was great (1pm instead of 11am!)

Cons:
You have to check in at Ptarmagin Inn, which is kind of annoying and there wasn't enough parking, so we had to park a block over and walk. They also gave us the wrong room # to begin with, so we scared another couple as we tried to 'break into' their room. We eventually got another room luckily. It advertised that with a pet room we would have a pet bed, food and water bowl and treats. We did not receive this. Our view was also terrible.

We probably would only stay here again if it was significantly cheaper than all other hotels.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so if you are traveling with a dog who has trouble going up and down stairs, I...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Driftwood Inn? Share your experiences!