“HIGHLY RECOMMENDED” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rundlestone Lodge

Save Saved
You added Rundlestone Lodge to your Saves list
Rundlestone Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   537 Banff Avenue | P.O. Box 489, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A6, Canada   |
Ranked #8 of 33 hotels in Banff
Bowmanville, Canada
“HIGHLY RECOMMENDED”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed at the Rundlestone Lodge in mid January 2013 and we were very impressed. It is very clean throughout, the halls are bright and cheerful and the carpets didn't look worn at all. Everything about our room was perfect, the bathroom spotless and even the windows and draperies looked like they were freshly cleaned. The beds were comfortable and the bedding is high quality linen. The pool area is beautiful.
I met houskeeping, maintenance and front desk staff. All were pleasant and friendly.
Micheal, the front desk staff member who checked us in, was particularly accomodating to our room requests.
It is ideally located, away from the busy downtown but a lovely 10 to 15 min. walk to the centre of the town. If public transportation is preferable, the bus stops very close to the hotel.
Overall, an excellent hotel. We are looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: Our room faced the front with a balcony, traffic noise was not a problem.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

596 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Over the years we have tried a lot of hotels in Banff and the Rundlestone Lodge was the only one on the main street where we didn't hear the train at night. Also we didn't hear the neighbours or noise in the hallways. The rooms must be very well insulated/soundproofed. That is a big plus for me.
Another plus is the underground heated free parking.
Sleep quality is very good. The bed is a bit soft for my taste, but the missus praised it. The rooms are comfortable and well laid out. The cleaning staff did a very good job. That being said, the room amenities are quite basic for a 4 star. Service is very friendly and competent.
We didn't try the restaurant, so we can't comment on that, but we tried the heated pool and hot tub and it was a pleasant way to end the day. Clean and refreshing.
Overall a very good choice in Banff.

Cardigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We booked Rundlestone Lodge for a 2 night mid week break in Banff, the price was very reasonable and we were very happy with our choice. Rundlestone lodge is around a 15 minute walk into town which didnt bother us, and as a result even though we had a street side room was very quiet. We had a lovely room, with a tv and a nice firm bed. Reception staff were polite and helpful, and our room was clean, and true to the pictures on the website.
There was underground parking, and lockers in the parking lot for storage of skis, poles, boots etc.
The restaurant was undergoing renovation on our stay, however it was partly finished and looked very nice, the breakfast was also good, with plenty of choice.
I would certainly stay here again in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RundlestoneFOM, Front Office Manager at Rundlestone Lodge, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Many thanks for your review. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your gracious comments regarding the staff and some of the other amenities we are proud to offer here at the hotel!

The Rundlestone Lodge is pleased to announce the extensive dining room and bar/lounge renovations mentioned in the above review are complete and the legendary 'Bumper's The Beef House' is open!! We look forward to welcoming everyone in for some fantastic Steaks and Ribs in our new restaurant; all meals of course come with the famous salad bar! The lounge offers patrons the chance to sip cocktails by the fire or enjoy a few cold ones watching live sport at the bar!

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your Canadian trip and had a great journey home. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Banff!
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We booked rather last minute for the family day weekend, so we were not sure what to expect. We stayed in the honeymoon suite! WHAT A TREAT! Everything was just lovely. The hotel was great, very cozy feel, the room was great, with a loft area for the bedroom, and staff were all very helpful. The view for waking up was also beautiful, as just across the road there is a great view of the mountains ( what else can you expect when in Banff )!

One thing we enjoyed was that after a busy day, we could go down to the lobby and select a DVD to just unwind and relax too ( free of charge, with a pretty big selection) cool feature and have not seen that at any other hotel we have stayed at. Check in and parking was also easy and convenient, nice to have parking free of charge as well as underground!

Can't wait to return to Banff as we know where we will be staying again:)

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite was amazing! A great room upgrade to treat yourself to!
Calgary Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed three night during a long weekend and enjoyed our stay very much. Staff is very friendly and offer great service. The rooms are average, but comfortable. I found the mattresses to be too hard and I woke up a little sore. But I still slept well. The hotel is great for families with excellent ammenities. The pool area is nice and large, as is the hot tub. The pool is showing its age, but it is clean and we enjoyed using it. The bathroom has been updated with a nice vanity and soaker tub. The rooms are clean. My only complaint is the towels. They have been well used and are quite scratchy.
Overall great stay, and I would recommend the hotel if you were to get a good deal. but we likely won't stay again, only because there are so many great hotels in banff and I am curious to try the other ones.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

3 stars
20 minute walk to town, the hotel is near a main bus stop.
Lobby has a old style wood fireplace, a little sooty.
Lobby furniture was worn and had lost its appeal.
The restaurant area was under renovation.
Arrived at the lodge at 11:30 and my room was ready (230). Room has a shared entry and washbasin/powder mirror area (bedsitter) setup. Bathroom has a bathtub /shower and toilet, was reasonably new looking. Room furniture a little worn and fittings were dated. Room has a big flat screen TV, however the outside is way too beautiful to spend any time looking at a TV. Free desktop internet in the lobby and WIFI, but the signal strength was poor. Room was clean. Good heating and cooling unit, also a rather quiet room. Corridors smelt a bit smoky.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

After much reviewing and consideration, my partner and I decided to stay at the Rundlestone lodge for our visit to Banff. The reception we received was very friendly and the guy at the desk appeared pleased to see us and was very helpful.

The room we had was the King room which was very nice, the bed was extremely comfortable, the room was clean and bright with an outstanding view of the Mountains and was quiet.

The room came with a DvD player with DVDs free to borrow from reception and the room also came with a very large flat screen TV. Excellent quality and with a wide range of available channels which is a nice change from other hotels I've stayed in where the TV has nothing but BBC world and some static.

The bathroom was nice and clean and the bath quite large. we had a small problem emptying it as the plug refused to pull out and one one occasion we were unpleasantly surprised by a cold shower, apparently this can happen when they change the water in the whirlpool downstairs.

There was a little bit of noise as they were renovating the restaurant, but it was such a small amount and only right in the middle of the day so it didn't wake you if you were trying to have a lie in.

The housekeeping staff were lovely and polite and went out of their way to be as efficient as possible and respecting our privacy.

The hotel is a good walk from the town center, about 15 minutes but the walk is nice even in -15C weather as the mountain views are amazing.

The only real downside to the hotel was their breakfast. Despite not having a restaurant they still offered a breakfast service. On the first day I ordered a full breakfast and was asked did I want bacon or sausage, to which I replied sausage, but they brought bacon anyway. I asked for poached eggs which were clearly not drained properly as the water from them ran around my plate soaking everything, not nice. On top of that the toast came unbuttered, the skillet potatoes came burnt and the whole dish was freezing cold.

So a wet, cold, burnt breakfast was a very bad start. My partner got pancakes which he said were very nice but somewhat undercooked and spent the rest of the day throwing up. On top of that I asked if it was possible to have the breakfast in our room and was then handed a tray which was not big enough to carry the food so it was something of a juggling act to get everything upstairs. One of the staff members did help but he did so almost as an afterthought when he saw me struggling. To me, having it brought to your room should be standard when requested.

In order to give the breakfast a chance, (it could have been a one off), I chanced it a second time. The menu is somewhat limited and none of it really appealed to me but as we were up at 7am, there wasn't another alternative. I asked the girl on duty if it was possible to just have a sausage and egg sandwich, this appeared to stump her, which isn't too surprising as she looked like she'd not quite woken up yet. She had to check with the kitchen to see if they could offer this, and when they did get round to it, the sandwich came with toast instead of bread and no egg but some very dried up sausages. I'd also stressed to her that I only wanted the sandwich, and when she offered tomato and fruit and skillet potatoes again, I said absolutely not, but regardless she came with a whole plate of them anyway and were subsequently wasted.

On the morning we left the hotel it was again very early so I thought I'd give them one more try before I got on the coach to head to the airport. Thankfully as i used the buffet option and made the toast myself it turned out ok.

I really hope that when the restaurant re-opens it is of a MUCH higher quality than the breakfast.

The hotel in itself is lovely and when we were there very quiet. I had the pool and the hot tub to myself when I chose to use it, there is onsite laundry which is a little pricey but very convenient if you're staying for more than a few days and the reception area is lovely. The huge fire and the comfy armchairs and there is a book corner where you can exchange any books you've read and are done with with others that other guests have left behind.

The standard of service is a bit hit and miss, some of the guys and girls on reception are very friendly and helpful and others seem somewhat distant and on occasion look very confused to be approached with even the simplest of questions.

In addition, the Keg next door does the most amazing steak sandwiches we've ever eaten and is literally 2-3 minutes walk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RundlestoneFOM, Front Office Manager at Rundlestone Lodge, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you for your detailed, well balanced feedback. The issues raised regarding the breakfast are very disappointing and although as mentioned, we are in a transitional phase with the new restaurant, the issues need to be resolved. It does not reflect the high level of customer service we aspire to provide. The entire restaurant team has reviewed your comments and is working hard to ensure these matters do not happen in the future - thank you!

It was nice to read about some of the small touches/amenities which enhanced your stay - often missed in other reviews - such as the book exchange corner and the comments regarding the Housekeeping team. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay overall. All constructive feedback helps us to improve and provide an enhanced experience for our valued guests.

Been to Rundlestone Lodge? Share your experiences!