“Excellent value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rundlestone Lodge

Booking.com Travelocity
Rundlestone Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   537 Banff Avenue | P.O. Box 489, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A6, Canada   |
Announcement
Complimentary Services
Ranked #8 of 33 hotels in Banff
Calgary Alberta
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed three night during a long weekend and enjoyed our stay very much. Staff is very friendly and offer great service. The rooms are average, but comfortable. I found the mattresses to be too hard and I woke up a little sore. But I still slept well. The hotel is great for families with excellent ammenities. The pool area is nice and large, as is the hot tub. The pool is showing its age, but it is clean and we enjoyed using it. The bathroom has been updated with a nice vanity and soaker tub. The rooms are clean. My only complaint is the towels. They have been well used and are quite scratchy.
Overall great stay, and I would recommend the hotel if you were to get a good deal. but we likely won't stay again, only because there are so many great hotels in banff and I am curious to try the other ones.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

570 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

3 stars
20 minute walk to town, the hotel is near a main bus stop.
Lobby has a old style wood fireplace, a little sooty.
Lobby furniture was worn and had lost its appeal.
The restaurant area was under renovation.
Arrived at the lodge at 11:30 and my room was ready (230). Room has a shared entry and washbasin/powder mirror area (bedsitter) setup. Bathroom has a bathtub /shower and toilet, was reasonably new looking. Room furniture a little worn and fittings were dated. Room has a big flat screen TV, however the outside is way too beautiful to spend any time looking at a TV. Free desktop internet in the lobby and WIFI, but the signal strength was poor. Room was clean. Good heating and cooling unit, also a rather quiet room. Corridors smelt a bit smoky.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

After much reviewing and consideration, my partner and I decided to stay at the Rundlestone lodge for our visit to Banff. The reception we received was very friendly and the guy at the desk appeared pleased to see us and was very helpful.

The room we had was the King room which was very nice, the bed was extremely comfortable, the room was clean and bright with an outstanding view of the Mountains and was quiet.

The room came with a DvD player with DVDs free to borrow from reception and the room also came with a very large flat screen TV. Excellent quality and with a wide range of available channels which is a nice change from other hotels I've stayed in where the TV has nothing but BBC world and some static.

The bathroom was nice and clean and the bath quite large. we had a small problem emptying it as the plug refused to pull out and one one occasion we were unpleasantly surprised by a cold shower, apparently this can happen when they change the water in the whirlpool downstairs.

There was a little bit of noise as they were renovating the restaurant, but it was such a small amount and only right in the middle of the day so it didn't wake you if you were trying to have a lie in.

The housekeeping staff were lovely and polite and went out of their way to be as efficient as possible and respecting our privacy.

The hotel is a good walk from the town center, about 15 minutes but the walk is nice even in -15C weather as the mountain views are amazing.

The only real downside to the hotel was their breakfast. Despite not having a restaurant they still offered a breakfast service. On the first day I ordered a full breakfast and was asked did I want bacon or sausage, to which I replied sausage, but they brought bacon anyway. I asked for poached eggs which were clearly not drained properly as the water from them ran around my plate soaking everything, not nice. On top of that the toast came unbuttered, the skillet potatoes came burnt and the whole dish was freezing cold.

So a wet, cold, burnt breakfast was a very bad start. My partner got pancakes which he said were very nice but somewhat undercooked and spent the rest of the day throwing up. On top of that I asked if it was possible to have the breakfast in our room and was then handed a tray which was not big enough to carry the food so it was something of a juggling act to get everything upstairs. One of the staff members did help but he did so almost as an afterthought when he saw me struggling. To me, having it brought to your room should be standard when requested.

In order to give the breakfast a chance, (it could have been a one off), I chanced it a second time. The menu is somewhat limited and none of it really appealed to me but as we were up at 7am, there wasn't another alternative. I asked the girl on duty if it was possible to just have a sausage and egg sandwich, this appeared to stump her, which isn't too surprising as she looked like she'd not quite woken up yet. She had to check with the kitchen to see if they could offer this, and when they did get round to it, the sandwich came with toast instead of bread and no egg but some very dried up sausages. I'd also stressed to her that I only wanted the sandwich, and when she offered tomato and fruit and skillet potatoes again, I said absolutely not, but regardless she came with a whole plate of them anyway and were subsequently wasted.

On the morning we left the hotel it was again very early so I thought I'd give them one more try before I got on the coach to head to the airport. Thankfully as i used the buffet option and made the toast myself it turned out ok.

I really hope that when the restaurant re-opens it is of a MUCH higher quality than the breakfast.

The hotel in itself is lovely and when we were there very quiet. I had the pool and the hot tub to myself when I chose to use it, there is onsite laundry which is a little pricey but very convenient if you're staying for more than a few days and the reception area is lovely. The huge fire and the comfy armchairs and there is a book corner where you can exchange any books you've read and are done with with others that other guests have left behind.

The standard of service is a bit hit and miss, some of the guys and girls on reception are very friendly and helpful and others seem somewhat distant and on occasion look very confused to be approached with even the simplest of questions.

In addition, the Keg next door does the most amazing steak sandwiches we've ever eaten and is literally 2-3 minutes walk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RundlestoneFOM, Front Office Manager at Rundlestone Lodge, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you for your detailed, well balanced feedback. The issues raised regarding the breakfast are very disappointing and although as mentioned, we are in a transitional phase with the new restaurant, the issues need to be resolved. It does not reflect the high level of customer service we aspire to provide. The entire restaurant team has reviewed your comments and is working hard to ensure these matters do not happen in the future - thank you!

It was nice to read about some of the small touches/amenities which enhanced your stay - often missed in other reviews - such as the book exchange corner and the comments regarding the Housekeeping team. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay overall. All constructive feedback helps us to improve and provide an enhanced experience for our valued guests.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were met by very polite and happy reception staff and promptly checked in. Parked the car and made our way up to a separate bedroom with another queen bed in the main room. Bathroom was small and had to wash hands or brush teeth in the main room, a little odd. Continental breakfast was provided which was a great way to start the day when skiing. The Hotel blended in with the town's decor, keeping a very cabin feel to Banff. Banff seems small, but there is a lot to do.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We rented the room with the King size bed, jacuzzi tub and wood burning fireplace. It was great, we were only there for one night but it was nicely furnished, clean and the location was good. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a get away weekend!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Nothing to really criticise about this 3 star hotel, almost perfect but for the lack of it's own decent restaurant. However this will soon be rectified as while we were there they were just finishing the building work for their new steakhouse (opening soon, maybe already be open). Because of this disruption they provided all guests staying during the building period with a free (and substantial!) continental breakfast. Following some of the harsher reviews on Tripadvisor we weren't expecting much but were very pleasantly surprised, this is quite simply a very good hotel, comfortable, clean with large guestrooms, free wifi and good service. Looked lovely and festive with all the decorations up and welcoming log fire in the lobby. Hopefully with it's new future restaurant there will be the opportunity to enjoy a relaxing drink in the evening. We had to go to the next door hotel/steakhouse.
Also nicely located as the town and all its attractions are in one direction and about 10-15 minute walk away.

Room Tip: We had a room that looked up at Cascade Mountain and not the main road through Banff, so quieter and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nth Qld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed in a family suite. The room was great, and the bed very comfortable. I would probably stay again, given the location is also ok, it's a 10 minute walk into town but hey Banff is a nice place to walk around.

The heated carpark is a nice touch and the hotel has a nice feel to it.

My only criticism is that service could do with a shake up. It felt like most of the staff were lacking in customer care. A simple hello was difficult for them, including the front desk. Had to ring room service every day to get firewood or coffee replaced. Those things are easy to fix.
Otherwise had a really nice stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rundlestone Lodge? Share your experiences!