“Good IPA, great service, sports bar food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Ave Brewing Co

Banff Ave Brewing Co
110 Banff Ave, 2nd Floor | 2nd Floor Clocktower Village Mall, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T0E1E0, Canada
403-762-1003
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 128 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Austin, Texas
“Good IPA, great service, sports bar food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Good to find a pub brewing some interesting beers, as opposed to the ubiquitous Molson, Coors et al. Their IPA was a little hoppier than the standard British ones, but nowhere near as bitter as some of the great US craft IPA's. Waitress service, very attentive. We didn't eat, but the food looked good.

Visited March 2013

Edmonton, Canada
“Bad Food, Bad Service, and Tastes Like Fish!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Sometimes you don’t always read trip advisor and make decisions to visit restaurants without reading reviews. Bad move, and this what we did while in Banff and chose to visit the Banff Avenue Brewing Company as it had seats available and no line up on a Saturday night about 8pm while other restaurants had a line up. There is a reason why.

Our problems started after I was seated, my husband went to park the truck several blocks away. I sat and wait and waited over fifteen minutes while our waiter walked back and forth past me, and did not even acknowledge me or even ask me if I wanted a drink. After my husband finally showed up, we waited at least another ten minutes while our waiter continued to walk back and forth before he came and asked us what we wanted to drink.

I ordered the banana and panko crusted chicken and my husband ordered the 8oz rib eye steak. We waited almost an hour for our food, when it arrived my husband’s steak was tasty but luke warm and my chicken strips although they were hot, they had an after taste of fish every time I bit into it! Yuck! This is probably due to cross contamination with fish on a surface or they were using dirty oil to fry their food in. Needless to say neither one of us were impressed with our food quality or the high price.

Finally the service was terrible. What if I was dining alone? Would I have ever gotten served by myself? Even after my husband arrived we waited for drinks, we waited for food, the drink order was wrong, we waited for our drinks to be refreshed; and finally we waited for the bill. Being that I was facing the bar, I saw that the waiter was spending a lot of time socializing with the ladies at the bar, instead of serving dealing with his customers. Even after we complained about the food, we were only given a 10% discount off our total bill. Oh Gee…$6.00.

If you read my reviews you will see, I don’t write very many bad reviews as somebody who used to work in the hospitality industry. I can see a lot of good in things people try to do, but this was all round bad. Bad service, bad food, and bad after taste. There is a reason why some restaurants rank in the top ten and other rank 37 such as this one. Don’t choose a restaurant just because they can take a full page advertisement out in a Restaurant guide.

Tip: If you have never been to Banff, restaurants fill up very quickly, read your reviews and make a reservation to ensure you get into a good place at the time you want to eat.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Brett I, General Manager at Banff Ave Brewing Co, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Mommytraveller1, Thank you for your detailed review. I have gone over the execution of the evening and apologize for the obvious lack of fundamentals being met with your experience. I have had a conversation with the male server who worked that evening (a long term employees with normally good work ethics). I hope you can give us another chance in the future.
A quick note on the banana chicken though, it is not fried. It is pan seared and than finished in the oven.
Please feel free to email to jm@banffavebrewingco.ca to discuss your experience.
Banff, Canada
“Food is grossly over priced.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have been to the brew pub a few times. I love the beer they create and this is whichI will return. But I'm done having any expectations for the food at this establishment. I ordered the Boneless buffalo wing salad, a $17.00 salad. Now I am used to salads being over priced but this was a minuscule size for that price. I received 6 bite sized pieces of chicken with some romaine lettuce. It was okay in taste but not worth the price tag. I guess they expect you to drink a ton of beer to be full after a meal at the brewing company. I have had bad service before but this time I do have to say the service was top notch.

Tip: stay for the beer, go else where for food.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bee1990,
Thank you for your comments. We strive to provide items that are considered good value and regret that you did not enjoy the portion size on the buffalo chicken salad. This complaint has not come up before but I have gone over portion sizes on proteins with our culinary director and we will keep your review in mind with our next menu.
I was glad to hear the service improved over your previous visit and will continue with service training to ensure this keeps up.
Cheers.
“You gotta go here!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Had an absolutely wonderful experience!! Came to banff for a stagette and got the private room for our dinner and drinks. Service was great!! Food was delicious. Being in the private room allowed us to be loud and enjoy our evening!! Great place awesome vibes. Would recommend to everyone for a private party or a night out with friends and family.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jess0480,
Thank you for the review. We host a lot of stagettes and are pleased your group had a wonderful time. The private room is always available for groups at no extra charge so feel free to come again for any celebration!!
Cheers
“Horrible service, horrible food, good beer. WILL NEVER RETURN!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Food was disgusting. Worst service I have ever had!!! Rude inconsiderate staff. Beer was good though. Unfortunatly won't have their beer again because if I walk back in there I might be sick to my stomach. After many locals told me not to go, I really wish I hadn't! Ruined my night

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Brett I, General Manager at Banff Ave Brewing Co, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Hello Wantsgoodfood. As disappointing as your review was to read, we sincerely appreciate the feedback. We never want anyone's night to be ruined because of a bad experience, but unfortunately it does happen on a rare occasion. All I can say is this: We have taken your feedback to heart and are putting a strong emphasis on constantly improving our service. Please come back and try again and if the experience isn't better please ask to speak to the manager and we will make it right. Thanks again for the feedback and we hope to see you soon!