“Pay the extra and stay at Castle Mountain Village” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Storm Mountain Lodge & Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banff
Storm Mountain Lodge & Cabins
You added Storm Mountain Lodge & Cabins to your Saves list
Hwy. 93 South -Banff-Windermere Highway | Box 3249, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1C8, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Banff
Reading, United Kingdom
“Pay the extra and stay at Castle Mountain Village”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My sister was desperate for her boyfriend to have a log cabin experience during our trip. What a disappointment. I had purposefully booked here as it was cheaper than Castle Mountain Village and had a dining room (I don't do self catering).
The food prices are astronomical, so much so that we actually got back in the car and drove to Banff for pizza! (That way we could have leftovers for breakfast).
Cabins 11, 12, 14 & 15 back directly onto the highway.
The beds are comfy but that's it. There are no conveniences of any sort and the bathroom didn't even have a curtain! We had to pull the shower curtain round so that our neighbours wouldn't see us in the bathroom!
While my brother in law appeared to enjoy his log cabin experience I was bitterly disappointed. My husband was less than impressed when I revealed how much I had actually paid. His response was 'We paid over $300 and had to share a room! Are you crazy?'
Needless to say we will not be returning to Storm Mountain.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Here we sitting on the porch of our little and dark cabin, listening to the cars go by on the nearby highway 93. After arrival a few minutes ago we were suprised to find our supposedly romantic cabin to be very basic ( I wonder what is the difference between historical and just old and worn out...). The lady at the front desk had advised us that we would have a gas fireplace. Which we were okay with, until we entered the cabin and found out it was actually a gas stove which a one inch flame max!!! Not romantic... This cabin is the exact same price as another one with a wood fireplace which is advertised on the website. We pointed out this issue to the receptionist to see if anything was possible but they were for the most very unhelpfull. We are seasoned travellers of the canadian rockies accomodations and this is a total rip-off. Last time they see us.

• Stayed September 2012
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My (now) fiancé and I visited Storm mountain last year and we still talk about how much we miss it. It is a cabin, but the kind you dream about... a cozy fireplace, clawfoot tub, wooden bed... ugh, it was just perfect. We went in October and had snow almost the entire time, but ONLY on the cabin, because of how high up it is. Once we left the roads cleared. It was very surreal, like we were living in a little snow globe. The views are absolutely breathtaking, and the food and service was wonderful. The receptionist (and an adorable dog in a sweater) greeted us warmly and was very hospitable.

My ONLY complaint was that the food is very expensive. They don't allow you to bring food into your cabin, which kind of leaves you... stranded unless you want to pay $30 a meal. It was excellent food, but not consistent with the prices. For breakfast we had standard eggs and fruit and it was still about a $40 check after tip. Who has that kind of money to burn?

Other than that, it was the perfect stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed here. For one night. A lovely location on first impression but right above the dual carriageway with trucks driving on through the night. This was our alarm clock in the morning. We had spent the last 11 days travelling from Vancouver to Calgary but this place was the most expensive we had come across. And the price was just room only, no breakfast included. The chalets are a nice concept but it's not too clear what impression they are trying to give? The bath/shower was a little inappropriate for the size of the bathroom, a shower cubicle would have been more practical. Only one set of towels with no tea or coffee making facilities, a waiver that had to be signed on check in incase of breakage at $100, with the close noise of the trucks at night and a bed up against the wall made this a very average stay in indeed. We did not try the menu for dinner or breakfast.

Room Tip: Perhaps the rooms at the back are better, but doubtful
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The good...
Super cute rustic cabins. Ask for one with a wood burning fireplace. Claw foot bath tubs. Nice decor. Enough space for your stuff. We brought a bottle of wine and cheese/ grapes... it was lovely and cozy at the fire. Even in the summer it is cool, so a fire is in order. Lots of hiking trails near by. Food in the lodge was excellent. I loved the lodge. Picture this...A big wood burning fire, delish martini in hand, nice cozy couches, perhaps some appitizers... fantastic. Be sure to make reservations for dinner when you book. Good food. Good drinks. You can also get dinner to take to your cabin...thats nice if you want a romantic night in. Breakfast meals were a lot for us, so we shared.
The not so good...
Highway basically right there. Didn't bother me though. Front porch was slanted...couldn't really sit on porch because of mosquitos and couldn't put your drink down. Not a lot of water pressure for the shower.
They could make it better by giving you a list of hiking trails that are around. Go prepared... not much around. You kind of have to eat there.. or go into banff, which is a bit of a drive. If money is an issue, you might want to pass... it can add up :)
All in all, I would totally go again. I had a wonderful time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lynnwood, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I've just returned from a two night stay at Storm Mountain Lodge in the Banff National Park and I can't express what a lovely time we had! Despite the rather sour reviews I've read elsewhere, we experienced NONE of the negatives and ALL of the positives. The staff was delightful, accommodating and endearing, the property was gorgeous and the cabins themselves were adorable - just the place for a quiet and peaceful get-a-way in a unique setting. The fireplace added just the right touch - what could be better than falling asleep with a crackling fire on a cool end of summer evening! The food at the Lodge was fairly priced, generous, well-prepared, presentation was flawless and the food itself was first rate - we ALL had incredible meals with no complaints (and I'm the picky foodie!) I wouldn't hesitate to return again. There were NO spiders in the room (but keep in mind, you are in the mountains), the rooms were clean and presentable, and the grounds were lovely.

Room Tip: While there is some highway noise if a large truck should pass by, you rarely hear anything, so any...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have stayed at Storm Mountain Lodge many times; and I have also stopped many times for lunch en route to the Columbia Valley. We stopped there yesterday for a quick bite to eat and were once again not disappointed. I had a the bison burger - moist and perfectly cooked with a lovely green salad. My partner had the seafood chowder, which I think has been on the menu for years - and no wonder - it was delicious. I ordered a glass of wine which unfortunately was far too sweet for my taste; I returned it and ordered something different - no extra charge. Very pleasant wait staff. If you find yourself en route for Calgary and you're feeling peckish this is the place to make a stop! I

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Storm Mountain Lodge & Cabins? Share your experiences!