“Banff inn - feb 2013” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Inn

Expedia.com Hotels.com
Banff Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A9, Canada   |
Ranked #24 of 33 hotels in Banff
Netherlands
“Banff inn - feb 2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

From 17 until 23 th February 2013 we have stayed (4 persons/ 2 bedrooms) in this hotel in room 441 and 437. Ok, this is not the newest hotel in town, but the rooms were spacy enough for us, warm showers (after a long day of snowboarding) a good bed, and...the hot-tub outside the hotel, is really awesome. We have had breakfast (14 dollar) which was good, friendly staff and reception. This hotel is nearby banff downtown (walking distance) and the shuttle for Lake louis, Norquay or Sunshine village, stops at the front of the hotel. All we san say is thank you for having us!
Only one thing, there is a special way for finding your room in the hotel, which is divided over 3 buildings(?) .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

A group of us stayed at the Banff Inn and hit lack of service that superseded just about anything I have encountered before.

Being four guys from Australia having a good Internet connection is critical because Skype connections back home are the way to communicate. The night we arrived the Internet was so intermittent and slow making it unusable, forcing us to use real phones at great expense! Not planned.

The next morning we complained to the front desk, and received the reply " The Internet service is provided free of charge, and if it did not work, too bad, it's free!!". We then asked if during the day something would be done to fix it, and got the reply "There is nothing I can do, sorry, what we have is what you will get". Unbelievable but that's the management attitude - stick it!

On top of this when I returned to the room at 3.30pm it had not been serviced!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
CATEYES7, Manager at Banff Inn, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback and our apologies regarding the dificult time you had with our complimentary wi-fi,the staff cannot fix this short of problem they did however reset the main box and it takes a few hours to reset the whole system and the wifi did get better after this.
I understand it was inconvinient and the internet can be a base of communication,at anytime you could have used the coin operated kiosk in the lobby that would have been cheaper then using you phone device,again our apologies.
Canmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here as part of a business trip in November 2012. Although I live in Canmore, I was attending a tradeshow in Banff and wanted to stay in town rather than drive back late at night.

Check in was quick, easy and the staff member was helpful and courteous.

My room was great. Much bigger than I expected, king bed, good sized bathroom, table and chair and closet.

The bed was extremely comfortable and although my room faced the main road, I didn't hear any traffic noise at all.

The room was very clean and I could not fault my stay at all.

I used to live in Banff and have had take out pizza and poutine from the hotel restaurant. I was never disappointed, their poutine is amazing and their pizza is one of the best in town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

It was a good trip until it came to the parking issue. They have a underground parking and the spot we parked in had someone parked right on the line so we had to park a little bit over. We received a call from the hotel asking us to move our vechile right over, at this point we were both already drinking and informed them that we legally can't be driving. They then called us again leaving a message that we better move our car. We went back to the hotel and told them we were both drunk and needed someone to move the vechile then she just kept saying over and over for us to move it. When I talked to the manager in the morning letting them know how unresponsible of the hotel that was to promote drinking or driving (regardless if its just reparking or not I have had people close to me in drinking and driving accidents so I take it very seriously) she basically brushed us off and told us that she isn't liable for it. I would not recommend this hotel because of this. To make matters worse we kept checking to see if anyone parked beside us and had pictures to prove that there wasn't even one from the middle of the night and the manager lied and said it was full in the morning.

• Stayed February 2013
CATEYES7, Manager at Banff Inn, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.We just appreciate that when guests park in our underground parking that they use one stall and not 3,has we are already short on parking stalls for all our guests,drinking and driving is no joke,and someone other then your party did move your truck.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I want to keep this simple. I recieved HORRRIBLE customer service at the Banff Inn on Saturday. It's a shame because I have stayed their numerous times. I was part of a group whose electricity went out. We missed our reservation (it was someone in our groups birthday), and were told by the staff that it is not their problem, but they would comp the room for us. It turns out, the next day we were told we'd only get about 12% taken off. As of right now I have paid the full amount and have not received a credit of any sort. I talked to the manager, he told me "he would take care of me at the bars or clubs next time I come back." Um no thanks. I'm a working professional I do not need to get taken care of at a bar or club thank you very much.
The staff needs to get a clue. Will not be coming back. At least there are plenty of other hotels in Banff!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel numerous times + was beyond disgusted with my last stay there. Perhaps there has been a recent emphasis to hire new employees that don't understand the basics of customer service, or that this one experience is reflective of their inability to properly mitigate conflict. Either way I am STILL in shock.

What started as a the potential for a lovely girls night out for a 25th birthday quickly turned into the "Banff Inn twilight zone".

-our power went out in our room within a few hours of checking in...we had 3 appliances in total plugged in (straightener, blow dryer, and coffee machine)
-we called down to the front desk to let them know. As this is sometimes occurs in busy hotels, we were not to alarmed.
-I personally went down after an hour in the dark (this was a room with a staircase in it...guest safety not an issue for this hotel apparently). At this point we were all late for our reservation, getting ready in the halls- with a large mirror and chairs. I asked the front desk what the hold up was as we were late for a very important dinner reservation....the girl looked at me confused (name-Mel) and said she would call....I was dumbfounded that she was just then looking into this issue when 3 of their guests had set up shop in the hallway to get ready....
-When the maintenance man did finally come I rode with him up to the room. The elevator ride was him telling me (through laughter) that he would have to "google" how to fix it. We get to our room and he proceeds to ask the 2 girls still doing their hair in the hallway if they "know of anyone they can call to fix it?"
I don't know if this was meant to be a joke...none of us laughed
-We finally head down to leave; our power had been out for over 2 hrs at this point. Before leaving I asked the same lady (name- Mel) at the desk if there was another room that we could take keys for in-case our lights are not on when we return later that night. She offered us the only room left with 2 beds....there are 5 of us.....she didn't understand that 5 people do not fit into 2 beds and became quite irate when we refused the room. She also emphasized the fact that we had originally booked for 3 people not 5, which is true, but we had 2 extra girls drive from Lethbridge last minute and I tried to explain that we should not be faulted because of that. We were all well aware that the extra person charge would have to be paid in the morning for breakfast (as we have done multiple times at the Banff Inn). We are all working professionals...we don't really get kicks out of scheming an extra $40 on a night out...
- When I asked if she could find us other accommodation in Banff that we could all fit in comfortably WITH functional lights she responds with "Banff is fully booked tonight, good luck walking around trying to find a place!".....this is when all our jaws hit the ground.
- As we could see the issue was not being resolved, we held on to the keys to the 3 bed room and left...but not before she snuck in one last jab as we left....wait for this..... "GOOD LUCK SLEEPING IN THE DARK!"
-the next day, I woke up early and went down stairs to speak with a manager (Name-Deb). She pretty much told me that she believed I was lying about what had occurred the night before and that she would take off a measly $35 from our bill.
-all I was looking for was a "We are sorry this happened, and this is how we can fix it." Not a revolving door of "he-said, she-said."

The whole situation was quite disturbing- I ended up having a horrible night in Banff and (thankfully) returned back to our room with working lights. As a person who works in customer relations, I could not believe that any of this behavior was acceptable.

I will never stay here again, and I will tell anyone willing to listen about what disgusting behavior went on that night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
CATEYES7, Owner at Banff Inn, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback and once again our apologies for your un-pleasurable stay with us and ruining your birthday plans,but we feel that we have to respond to this post about some misleading information,yes you are correct that the braker went out and the room was with no power,only to find out that they were extra devices plugged in and the braker was burnt and needed to be replaced with a new one,I understand it was inconvinient and we did offer you our last room that we had available in which you declined,because you didn't want to move your belongings and only to find out that you had 5 guests instead of the 3 that you had initially checked in with us and giving the front desk the wrong information upon your arrival.Perhaps the front desk staff did not handle this to your liking after being yelled at by you and your friends,but the power was restored in two hours after the incident.We did discounted the room and did not charge for the two extra guests that we never confirmed by you upon aririval,we even offered you a free hotel room but you declined.We are confident that we acted honestly,with integrety and accuracy.
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Booked online at a discount website, very good rate for a weekend. Good location a 5 minute walk to the main part of town, easy to find and check in was a breeze. Parking is great underground, however if hotel is full it fills up early. Hot Tub/Steam Room and Sauna are very nice. Lounge is nice and convenient. Hotel is not large, so services are limited, but met all our needs. Continental type breakfast included. Room was clean, modern and very nice. Bed was very nice, good pillows and good quality/modern bedding. Would certainly go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Banff Inn? Share your experiences!