“It was fine” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Inn

Save Saved
You added Banff Inn to your Saves list
Banff Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A9, Canada   |
Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Banff
“It was fine”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

It was a good trip until it came to the parking issue. They have a underground parking and the spot we parked in had someone parked right on the line so we had to park a little bit over. We received a call from the hotel asking us to move our vechile right over, at this point we were both already drinking and informed them that we legally can't be driving. They then called us again leaving a message that we better move our car. We went back to the hotel and told them we were both drunk and needed someone to move the vechile then she just kept saying over and over for us to move it. When I talked to the manager in the morning letting them know how unresponsible of the hotel that was to promote drinking or driving (regardless if its just reparking or not I have had people close to me in drinking and driving accidents so I take it very seriously) she basically brushed us off and told us that she isn't liable for it. I would not recommend this hotel because of this. To make matters worse we kept checking to see if anyone parked beside us and had pictures to prove that there wasn't even one from the middle of the night and the manager lied and said it was full in the morning.

• Stayed February 2013
CATEYES7, Manager at Banff Inn, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.We just appreciate that when guests park in our underground parking that they use one stall and not 3,has we are already short on parking stalls for all our guests,drinking and driving is no joke,and someone other then your party did move your truck.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I want to keep this simple. I recieved HORRRIBLE customer service at the Banff Inn on Saturday. It's a shame because I have stayed their numerous times. I was part of a group whose electricity went out. We missed our reservation (it was someone in our groups birthday), and were told by the staff that it is not their problem, but they would comp the room for us. It turns out, the next day we were told we'd only get about 12% taken off. As of right now I have paid the full amount and have not received a credit of any sort. I talked to the manager, he told me "he would take care of me at the bars or clubs next time I come back." Um no thanks. I'm a working professional I do not need to get taken care of at a bar or club thank you very much.
The staff needs to get a clue. Will not be coming back. At least there are plenty of other hotels in Banff!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel numerous times + was beyond disgusted with my last stay there. Perhaps there has been a recent emphasis to hire new employees that don't understand the basics of customer service, or that this one experience is reflective of their inability to properly mitigate conflict. Either way I am STILL in shock.

What started as a the potential for a lovely girls night out for a 25th birthday quickly turned into the "Banff Inn twilight zone".

-our power went out in our room within a few hours of checking in...we had 3 appliances in total plugged in (straightener, blow dryer, and coffee machine)
-we called down to the front desk to let them know. As this is sometimes occurs in busy hotels, we were not to alarmed.
-I personally went down after an hour in the dark (this was a room with a staircase in it...guest safety not an issue for this hotel apparently). At this point we were all late for our reservation, getting ready in the halls- with a large mirror and chairs. I asked the front desk what the hold up was as we were late for a very important dinner reservation....the girl looked at me confused (name-Mel) and said she would call....I was dumbfounded that she was just then looking into this issue when 3 of their guests had set up shop in the hallway to get ready....
-When the maintenance man did finally come I rode with him up to the room. The elevator ride was him telling me (through laughter) that he would have to "google" how to fix it. We get to our room and he proceeds to ask the 2 girls still doing their hair in the hallway if they "know of anyone they can call to fix it?"
I don't know if this was meant to be a joke...none of us laughed
-We finally head down to leave; our power had been out for over 2 hrs at this point. Before leaving I asked the same lady (name- Mel) at the desk if there was another room that we could take keys for in-case our lights are not on when we return later that night. She offered us the only room left with 2 beds....there are 5 of us.....she didn't understand that 5 people do not fit into 2 beds and became quite irate when we refused the room. She also emphasized the fact that we had originally booked for 3 people not 5, which is true, but we had 2 extra girls drive from Lethbridge last minute and I tried to explain that we should not be faulted because of that. We were all well aware that the extra person charge would have to be paid in the morning for breakfast (as we have done multiple times at the Banff Inn). We are all working professionals...we don't really get kicks out of scheming an extra $40 on a night out...
- When I asked if she could find us other accommodation in Banff that we could all fit in comfortably WITH functional lights she responds with "Banff is fully booked tonight, good luck walking around trying to find a place!".....this is when all our jaws hit the ground.
- As we could see the issue was not being resolved, we held on to the keys to the 3 bed room and left...but not before she snuck in one last jab as we left....wait for this..... "GOOD LUCK SLEEPING IN THE DARK!"
-the next day, I woke up early and went down stairs to speak with a manager (Name-Deb). She pretty much told me that she believed I was lying about what had occurred the night before and that she would take off a measly $35 from our bill.
-all I was looking for was a "We are sorry this happened, and this is how we can fix it." Not a revolving door of "he-said, she-said."

The whole situation was quite disturbing- I ended up having a horrible night in Banff and (thankfully) returned back to our room with working lights. As a person who works in customer relations, I could not believe that any of this behavior was acceptable.

I will never stay here again, and I will tell anyone willing to listen about what disgusting behavior went on that night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
CATEYES7, Owner at Banff Inn, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback and once again our apologies for your un-pleasurable stay with us and ruining your birthday plans,but we feel that we have to respond to this post about some misleading information,yes you are correct that the braker went out and the room was with no power,only to find out that they were extra devices plugged in and the braker was burnt and needed to be replaced with a new one,I understand it was inconvinient and we did offer you our last room that we had available in which you declined,because you didn't want to move your belongings and only to find out that you had 5 guests instead of the 3 that you had initially checked in with us and giving the front desk the wrong information upon your arrival.Perhaps the front desk staff did not handle this to your liking after being yelled at by you and your friends,but the power was restored in two hours after the incident.We did discounted the room and did not charge for the two extra guests that we never confirmed by you upon aririval,we even offered you a free hotel room but you declined.We are confident that we acted honestly,with integrety and accuracy.
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Booked online at a discount website, very good rate for a weekend. Good location a 5 minute walk to the main part of town, easy to find and check in was a breeze. Parking is great underground, however if hotel is full it fills up early. Hot Tub/Steam Room and Sauna are very nice. Lounge is nice and convenient. Hotel is not large, so services are limited, but met all our needs. Continental type breakfast included. Room was clean, modern and very nice. Bed was very nice, good pillows and good quality/modern bedding. Would certainly go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
saskatoon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

A few of us stayed at the Inns of Banff December 26th 2012 - the 30th. This was a great place to stay, huge balconys & great views of the mountains. Fast service from the hotel staff when we needed extra towels & such. Very friendly staff throughout the hotel. The outdoor hottub on the roof was fantastic after a day at lake louise. The bears den pub had amazing food & awesome friendly service. The room was huge with comfy beds and was absolutely spotless! Parking was convienient. The indoor hottub & pool were great too. I would definatly recommend this place for groups on a snowboarding trip or a family. Will definitely be staying again when we go back!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Checkin wasn't until 4pm, but I was able to check in at 2. They also had a locker for us to stow our luggage and underground parking.

We stayed over the new year, and it wasn't too loud, good place to rest and recharge. Our room was on the first floor right off the main lobby, but we didn't find that a problem.

We asked for a ironing board and it was delivered in less than 5 minutes. The man who checked us in (i wish I could remember his name), was very nice. Because of our long last name, their system had shortenend it, so he could not find it initially. He let me look through the list of customers and i found ours.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here between Christmas and New Year for a skiing break. It's basic, clean and comfortable. If you're on a budget, a great place to stay. The in house pizza is also a life save r if you can't be bothered to go out. Breakfast is bagels. Muffins, cereals and fruit so don't expect a huge buffet. Plenty of it though!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Banff Inn? Share your experiences!