“WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Inn

Save Saved
You added Banff Inn to your Saves list
Banff Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A9, Canada   |
Ranked #25 of 33 hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel numerous times + was beyond disgusted with my last stay there. Perhaps there has been a recent emphasis to hire new employees that don't understand the basics of customer service, or that this one experience is reflective of their inability to properly mitigate conflict. Either way I am STILL in shock.

What started as a the potential for a lovely girls night out for a 25th birthday quickly turned into the "Banff Inn twilight zone".

-our power went out in our room within a few hours of checking in...we had 3 appliances in total plugged in (straightener, blow dryer, and coffee machine)
-we called down to the front desk to let them know. As this is sometimes occurs in busy hotels, we were not to alarmed.
-I personally went down after an hour in the dark (this was a room with a staircase in it...guest safety not an issue for this hotel apparently). At this point we were all late for our reservation, getting ready in the halls- with a large mirror and chairs. I asked the front desk what the hold up was as we were late for a very important dinner reservation....the girl looked at me confused (name-Mel) and said she would call....I was dumbfounded that she was just then looking into this issue when 3 of their guests had set up shop in the hallway to get ready....
-When the maintenance man did finally come I rode with him up to the room. The elevator ride was him telling me (through laughter) that he would have to "google" how to fix it. We get to our room and he proceeds to ask the 2 girls still doing their hair in the hallway if they "know of anyone they can call to fix it?"
I don't know if this was meant to be a joke...none of us laughed
-We finally head down to leave; our power had been out for over 2 hrs at this point. Before leaving I asked the same lady (name- Mel) at the desk if there was another room that we could take keys for in-case our lights are not on when we return later that night. She offered us the only room left with 2 beds....there are 5 of us.....she didn't understand that 5 people do not fit into 2 beds and became quite irate when we refused the room. She also emphasized the fact that we had originally booked for 3 people not 5, which is true, but we had 2 extra girls drive from Lethbridge last minute and I tried to explain that we should not be faulted because of that. We were all well aware that the extra person charge would have to be paid in the morning for breakfast (as we have done multiple times at the Banff Inn). We are all working professionals...we don't really get kicks out of scheming an extra $40 on a night out...
- When I asked if she could find us other accommodation in Banff that we could all fit in comfortably WITH functional lights she responds with "Banff is fully booked tonight, good luck walking around trying to find a place!".....this is when all our jaws hit the ground.
- As we could see the issue was not being resolved, we held on to the keys to the 3 bed room and left...but not before she snuck in one last jab as we left....wait for this..... "GOOD LUCK SLEEPING IN THE DARK!"
-the next day, I woke up early and went down stairs to speak with a manager (Name-Deb). She pretty much told me that she believed I was lying about what had occurred the night before and that she would take off a measly $35 from our bill.
-all I was looking for was a "We are sorry this happened, and this is how we can fix it." Not a revolving door of "he-said, she-said."

The whole situation was quite disturbing- I ended up having a horrible night in Banff and (thankfully) returned back to our room with working lights. As a person who works in customer relations, I could not believe that any of this behavior was acceptable.

I will never stay here again, and I will tell anyone willing to listen about what disgusting behavior went on that night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
CATEYES7, Owner at Banff Inn, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback and once again our apologies for your un-pleasurable stay with us and ruining your birthday plans,but we feel that we have to respond to this post about some misleading information,yes you are correct that the braker went out and the room was with no power,only to find out that they were extra devices plugged in and the braker was burnt and needed to be replaced with a new one,I understand it was inconvinient and we did offer you our last room that we had available in which you declined,because you didn't want to move your belongings and only to find out that you had 5 guests instead of the 3 that you had initially checked in with us and giving the front desk the wrong information upon your arrival.Perhaps the front desk staff did not handle this to your liking after being yelled at by you and your friends,but the power was restored in two hours after the incident.We did discounted the room and did not charge for the two extra guests that we never confirmed by you upon aririval,we even offered you a free hotel room but you declined.We are confident that we acted honestly,with integrety and accuracy.

235 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Korean first
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Booked online at a discount website, very good rate for a weekend. Good location a 5 minute walk to the main part of town, easy to find and check in was a breeze. Parking is great underground, however if hotel is full it fills up early. Hot Tub/Steam Room and Sauna are very nice. Lounge is nice and convenient. Hotel is not large, so services are limited, but met all our needs. Continental type breakfast included. Room was clean, modern and very nice. Bed was very nice, good pillows and good quality/modern bedding. Would certainly go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
saskatoon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

A few of us stayed at the Inns of Banff December 26th 2012 - the 30th. This was a great place to stay, huge balconys & great views of the mountains. Fast service from the hotel staff when we needed extra towels & such. Very friendly staff throughout the hotel. The outdoor hottub on the roof was fantastic after a day at lake louise. The bears den pub had amazing food & awesome friendly service. The room was huge with comfy beds and was absolutely spotless! Parking was convienient. The indoor hottub & pool were great too. I would definatly recommend this place for groups on a snowboarding trip or a family. Will definitely be staying again when we go back!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Checkin wasn't until 4pm, but I was able to check in at 2. They also had a locker for us to stow our luggage and underground parking.

We stayed over the new year, and it wasn't too loud, good place to rest and recharge. Our room was on the first floor right off the main lobby, but we didn't find that a problem.

We asked for a ironing board and it was delivered in less than 5 minutes. The man who checked us in (i wish I could remember his name), was very nice. Because of our long last name, their system had shortenend it, so he could not find it initially. He let me look through the list of customers and i found ours.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here between Christmas and New Year for a skiing break. It's basic, clean and comfortable. If you're on a budget, a great place to stay. The in house pizza is also a life save r if you can't be bothered to go out. Breakfast is bagels. Muffins, cereals and fruit so don't expect a huge buffet. Plenty of it though!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel was reasonably priced and well appointed. There is free underground parking at the hotel and the complimentary breakfast is okay. We enjoyed a quick dip in the indoor hot tub and steam room (however visiting in the summer months it was very quiet in there and we needed to heat up the stream room and sauna prior to entering – tip would be to get them turned on and then take a dip in the hot tub first whilst you wait).

The hotel is located a little out of the main part of town (as are most of the other large hotels) but we did not find this an issue as it was a pleasant short walk to the shops and restaurants.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed here last week on a trip to Banff. An easy 10 min walk to Banff's main action, really clean room and big comfy beds.

My room even had a little patio for those smokers out there.

Solid wi-fi connection and a great pizza place within the hotel.

Looking forward to the upgraded pool and hot tub area that's coming just in time for ski season.

I'd stay here again and recommend it to any of my colleagues/friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Banff Inn? Share your experiences!