“Great hotel close to everything in banff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Brewster's Mountain Lodge

You added Brewster's Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Brewster's Mountain Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   208 Caribou Street, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L1C1, Canada   |
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Banff
“Great hotel close to everything in banff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This hotel was really a wonderful to stay at. We had a delux room booked and it was really well maintained. The beds are comfortable and the staff was very knowledgable. A great selection of restaurants and entries are withing walking distance. There are a few shops located withing the hotel's property that offer an additional discount to hotel guests. There is an additional charge for underground parking( $ 5) but it's very convenient. They have a free continental breakfast and free wifi. Overall it's a great place to stay at in comparison to all that is available for people on a budget.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are not that great. If you can upgrade to a delux room for just a few bucks more...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Medicine Hat, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

First I must say I stayed at this hotel during a conference and did not choose the hotel. I am very familiar with Banff and was looking forward to my three days there.

At first glance the hotel is attractive if you are looking for the 'quaint western' look. I was not looking for the architecture just a really comfortable room. The lobby was clean with comfy couches. Ah, that is a good first impression. It did not take long to realize that it is really bizarre to get around with various levels on the same floor and at times you seem to be walking in circles. After a lenghty search I finally found my room. I have severe allergies to wool and feathers and upon checking the hotel website I found that there were wool blankets. I contacted the hotel in advance of my arrive to request that the wool blankets be removed which they said would be put onto my file. This never happened and upon opening the door to my room I fell ill from the wool, and had to stuff the blankets into empty drawers until I could have them removed. This was accomplished promptly while I was out. The room was a standard room and was clean. The lowest heat setting was like a sauna, so I opened the window to enjoy the glorious clean air of the mountains. The bed was comfy and lots of pillows were provided. You really need them if you like to sit up in bed to read, as the head boards are made from pine logs and protrude out from the walls making it very uncomfortable. The log chairs in the room are also uncomfortable. I had to perch on the edge and put my book on the mattress as there was no cushioning on the seats or the backs. The table lamps were very unique. They appear to be made from Native arrows however they take up the whole night table but they are pretty cool to see.

Finally I turned off the light looking forward to some rest before the conference. There are several bars located nearby and there was constant noise until 3:00 am as the patrons seems to use the lane located adjacent to the hotel as a post party recreation area. Thursday, Friday and Saturday were all the same. I was really surprized as the town was basically very quiet as it is between ski season and summer tourists. In addition to the lane noise the noise from the doors closing was very loud, they sounded like someone was slamming them however it is just the design of the lock mechanism which prevents a soft near silent closure of the door.

In the morning I was looking forward to a nice hot shower. The controls for the temperature did not work properly so it was cool or scaulding. The sink in the bathroom was cracked, the towels provided were very tiny and hard and scratchy and quite unpleasant. Ready to start my day I went in search of the Breakfast room which was really a challenge I finally found it in the basement however the staircase was painted wood - no carpet or tiles, so this must be a recent addition to the hotel amenities. The breakfast was very basic fruit salad, plain yogurt, toast, cereal, coffee, tea, milk. If you want more than the very basic you will have to go out to find a restaurant.

There were a few shops in or adjacent to the hotel however traveling in the off season means most of the shops are closed very eary and most only stay open to 8:00 pm on Friday nights (summer in Banff they are open to 11:00 pm). Keep that in mind when planning your day. There is no convenience store in the hotel but there is a grocery store about a long block away, if you forget anything. The hotel is centrally located and actually within walking distance to most places you want to go including the Banff Centre, where our conference was held. The views from the windows vary from the back of businesses to glorious mountain scenes. The interior patio is a perfect place to relax on a warm day and take in the fresh air, however it is quite small.

Would I book this hotel for myself based on my experience No, not even for the discounted price. There are so many better hotels in Banff that cost very little more that offer a better experience. Most hotels that I have stayed in the staff are wonderfully friendly and offer ideas for things to do, places to go and restaurants that offer a unique dining experience or top notch food, they barely exchanged a word with any of us other than checking in and out. If you do decide to give this hotel a try for economic reasons request an outside room on the side street not lane or ask for an inside room with access to the patio as these rooms should be more quiet.

There is a hot tub but there is no pool. I also understand that there was a gym with equipment but I did not use it.

So do your homework before booking a hotel in Banff there are so many seasonal offers that may give you a much better experience than what you will get at the Brewster Mountain Lodge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the building from the lane or an inside room that opens onto...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We spent the Easter weekend at Brewster's Lodge. It had an excellent central location close to everything. The underground parking was convenient, but tight spots and did cost extra. Free WIFI, but weaker signal. Can bring computer/ipad to lobby or second floor reading area and signal was fine. It is free as front staff will give you login information at check in. The continential breakfast was surprisingly decent. Not hot food, but good variety with fresh fruit salad. The girls do an excellent job at keeping things tidy and stocking everything.

It is a smaller lodge complex, so it can be a bit noisey. There was a party or gathering across the hall the first night, which got loud. A bunch of young adults getting ready for a Saturday night out. After one phone call to front staff, it was dealt with. People just need to be more considerate sometimes in hotels. People who are light sleepers may be bothered.

No swimming pool, but a jacuzzi, which we didn't try. No fridger in room, but a coffee machine and kettle in the room. Old style TV. Rooms decent, but nothing fancy.

Skiing was great for the kids. Shopping was nice and the food was decent, but a bit expensive at the restaurants around the area. Try Coyotes Southwestern Grill which was so close to the lodge. The scenery around the area is amazing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
SalesBML, Manager at Brewster's Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear Dunkman, thank you for taking time to write a review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and yes our location is one of our best selling features. You will be happy to know that we have looked into the slow internet and found that one of our routers was disconnected so that has been fixed and also that all our Televisions will be updated to flat screen by the end of the year. As of now we have about 1/3 of the hotel will new televisions and the rest is on the way in batches. I'm also glad to see that our "No noise tolerance" policy worked for you.
We hope to welcome you back to the Brewster's Mountain Lodge in the future.

Staff & Management
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I spent 5 nights at Brewster's Mountain Lodge in April 2012 while attending a conference at Banff Springs Hotel. It has beautiful "lodge look" decor, very friendly staff, a very comfortable room as well as jacuzzi and delicious breakfast. And, there are fresh cookies each afternoon at the front desk! It is centrally located for walking but also just a block from the excellent public bus service on Banff Avenue.

Room Tip: No advice; mine was great but I'm not picky
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear lcostello, thank you for taking time to write a review and so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us in Banff. We are glad you enjoyed our afternoon cookies, they are a big seller and one of our "best kept secrets"...I guess the secret is out (Thank you!!).
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to the area.

Happy Spring
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Stayed here on the weekend while skiing. The location is right downtown close to resturants, shops, theatre and park etc. There is an underground parking lot for an additional $5( It is pretty small ....I think the clearence is probably 6 feet). The lobby is nice with a big stone fireplace( which wasn't going...but I have stayed a different time where all the rooms had a really nice wood burning smell) The rooms are older and average...the beds are made from log poles and look nice but the decor is a bit old. The bathroom was nice...although the shower pressure was not very strong in our room.
There is a free continental breakfast in the basement.
I got a deal on the room and so I thought it was worth it for the night we stayed( $130)..... but in peak season the room rates are WAY higher and for the same value I would choose a different hotel in Banff( I have styed in many!) a little further away as i dont mind walking a few blocks to get downtown. But if you are looking for something right downtown then this is a good pick.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jenna_12Alberta, thank you for taking time to write a response. We are always happy to hear peoples thoughts of praise and constuctive criticisms. Our parkade does have a height limit of 6'4" but we are happy to offer alternate complimentary parking near-by. Our decor is Western themed and is specifically made for the hotel. The hotel is a newer hotel in Banff "1996" though the family is one of the founding families in the area and very proud of their heritage. Our in room carpets have all been changed in the last 1.5year, our hall carpets will be completed this year also. Our t.v.'s are 1/3 finished with the rest being completed by end of year and our mattresses are 2/3rds done for the whole hotel. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed in Banff last month and booked the Brewster's Mountain Lodge through Enjoy Banff. Great recommendation from the team there. It was really cool to stay in a hotel that has such history in Banff! The location was great right downtown. I could walk to everything. And good breakfast included in the morning. The gym was just so so, but I got my exercise walking/hiking around town.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Dear C G, thank you for your review. We are so glad you had the opportunity to experience our hotel and that you took the time to write your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back to Brewster's Mountain Lodge in the future should you be back in the area.

Bolton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We spent ten days at Brewster's Mountain Lodge in March/April 2012. Our room, with two queen size beds that were fantastically comfy, was spacious and yet cosy. It didn't have a view because it was an inner room which opened out onto a small central garden, because of this it was peaceful and quiete. Breakfast was fine for us, nothing fancy, just basic stuff like cereal, toast, bagels, pastries and fresh fruit salad every day with yogurt.
Location is fantastic, just a short walk to the main street with all shops, bars and restaurants. If you are here for the skiiing then the ski bus stop is also only a short walk away, probably about 150 metres. There is a room under the hotel to store your skis and boots, it's lovely and warm so no cold boots in a morning. The spa and sauna are very nice, always clean with fresh towels available although there didn't seem to be many people using them whilst we were there. Staff on reception are friendly and helpful, we would be happy to stay here again and will probably come back in 2013.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jimnychris, thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. We love having our guests stay so long as it gives us the opportunity to get to know each one a bit more. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and would love to welcome you back on your next visit to Banff in 2013.

Have a great year and Happy Spring,
Staff & Management Brewster's Mountain Lodge

Been to Brewster's Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!