“love the caribou” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa

You added Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa to your Saves list
Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   521 Banff Avenue | Box 1070, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Certificate of Excellence 2014
leeds
“love the caribou”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

this will be our second trip to the caribou lodge and i have to say, i think we'll be going again.
the hotel has a lovely welcoming feel. the breakfast is fantastic and the beds very comfortable. the walk to the centre of banff takes about 10 minutes, which is fine as long as you wrap up warm in the cold of winter.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

stayed 3 nights in Banff at the Caribou Lodge in a superior room. room was quite large and very comfortable. spa and pool in the hotel was 1st class - very relaxing. food and service 1st class as well - although we pre-paid our meals when booking the room but realised when we got there it would have worked out cheaper and we would have had more of a choice had we just paid for each meal out there. reception staff very friendly.
would def stay there again.

• Liked — very relaxing - service and foos 1st class
  • Disliked — all good
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Guildford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

just returned from a tour of Rockies and stayed at this fabulous hotel for 2 nights. Room was fab with views of the mountains, with the biggest bathroom of all the places we stayed at. Breakfast was plentiful if buffet chosen. Didn't try eating there in evening as many other options available. there are major roadworks going on in the town but this did not affect out stay one bit. this is a lovely place and we regret not being able to stay longer. plenty of activities available. we went white water rafting and this was one of the main highlights of our stay - do try this even if like me, you don't normally do this sort of thing. Banff was however in middle of heatwave and an outside pool would have been welcome. As our stay was short, we couldn't get any spa treatments so think about booking ahead. TIP take mosquito repellent if going up gondola, we got attacked!

Stayed July 2007
Minneapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

Don't Stay here in Summer! It was over 80 degrees in my room all night. George, the manager, was an incredibly rude guy. He originally told that it was my fault since I booked a standard room. Mind you that it was $240. He also mentioned that they had moved me already. When I checked in with my wife, they sent us to a room with two full beds and I immediately called to see if we could have a room with one larger bed for the two of us to sleep in together. After all, we are married. They were very nice to move us immediately.

After asking for a second fan at 10:30 at night when the room was still 85 degrees, they told me that many rooms didn't have fans. Unbelievable for those poor souls. They gave me a reduction in price to $199 and two free drinks but I would have been willing to pay anything to have a comfortable night. I was told that it was a heat wave and it made no sense for them to have air conditioning for the 5-10 days a year that it was too hot to be comfortable. Given that other hotels in Banff have air conditioning, I would never risk staying here. Plus, the room we had was on the top floor with an incedibly small window. I am sure it was hot many more days that the 5-10 they claimed. This room would suck in Winter!

When I asked for advice for food since the restaurant in the hotel was booked, they only mentioned other places with their lodging group, even thought there was a great place next door.

All in all, the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel. It still was $200.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
wilts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

After staying here in December 06, when we decided to return in May 2007 there was simply no choice for us. The prices were slightly higher, but the excellent standard of the hotel was as good.

We actually had to break the stay into 2, as one night it was fully booked, so for the first section we spent 2 nights in a Superior room (Queen Twin) as we upgraded last time and were impressed. The room wasnt as good as our last stay, as it was at the front of the hotel, but it was comfortable and surprisingly quiet!
When we checked in for the second time, we managed to get upgraded to an inner suite, which was fantastic. Okay, no mountain views, but skylights and an incredible room! though i dont think I would have paid the full price for it.

The service was, as before, excellent, the restaraunt and room service were very impressive, and the spa as before, though it seemed to be less appealing in the warmth!

We were blown away once again, even though it was much busier, and we wont hesitate to stay here again!

• Liked — The staff and location
  • Disliked — nothing.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Galway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

We stayed at the Caribou Lodge & Spa 2 night in early June 07. It is a very warm, clean & welcoming hotel...although I found the decor a little OTT with all the logs & stuff. Staff and facilities are excellent. The hot pools is well worth a visit and for a real treat book yourself in for a massage at the spa. The bar is overly priced although the atmosphere is nice. I didn't think much of the restaurant evening menu (steak, steak & more steak...but then I guess it is Alberta!) The buffet breakfast is fantastic.
I would go back here!!

• Liked — Great atmosphere
  • Disliked — Expensive bar prices
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Clemson, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

I booked a room at the Banff Caribou Lodge on Priceline and was a little disappointed in the hotel. The normal price for a standard room is $230 per night. I would have been greatly disappointed had I paid the full rate.

The rooms were not air-conditioned, which normally would have been OK. However, we had an interior room which was facing other rooms on all three sides. No air or breeze could flow into the room, which made it very stuffy. I had to sleep with the windows open and could clearly hear the other neighbors.

The rooms were small, but clean. I was also disappointed that Internet access was an additional $10 per day.

The location was convenient to access from the highway since the hotel is located near the end of Banff Avenue. However, it was about a 10 minute walk to the center of downtown.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — No air-conditioning
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!