“Clean, good location, amazing spa and all around comfy!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa

You added Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa to your Saves list
Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   521 Banff Avenue | Box 1070, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Drayton Valley
“Clean, good location, amazing spa and all around comfy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My 3 girlfriends and I stayed here June 2013. Right after all the flooding. The front desk gave us an amazing discount because they had had so many cancellations and appreciated the length we drove to come (6 hours instead if 3 due to the floods). We were on the bottom floor very close to the spa, which was perfect for our group! The spa offered awesome packages and it's the best facial I've had anywhere in the world! It was also great having the Keg resteraunt attached. The bathrooms were awesome and there was enough room for two people to be in there getting ready for all banff has to offer! The only thing I could say that could be better is if the rooms were cooler. They did have fans in each room but the a/c could have been better. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Bottom floor rooms are cooler
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Scarsdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Beautiful common areas, everywhere; upscale feel; great for couples, others too; much nicer and somewhat pricier than our usual 2.5-3 star hotel choices, but worth it

It's so nice I immediately looked for a bellhop at the entrance (didn't see one, luckily, for us anyway), and so nice that if I were just checking it out, I'd normally do a U-turn before getting to the front desk...It's a definite step up in quality from its sister property, Inns of Banff, across the street.

Pros: Beautifully remodeled room (typical 2-bed hotel room layout), particularly the bathroom; underground parking (good for winter); beautiful indoor pool/steam room/fitness room (all in the same area)
Cons: Difficult parking underground, with so many pillars and SUVs/minivans; chilly hallways (good temperature for summer in Arizona or Florida, not the Canadian Rockies); over-chlorinated indoor pool (eyes stung after a while without even putting head under water); slow-draining tub
(Stayed July 21)

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lancs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The positives for this hotel are the free parking, pleasant reception area and excellent buffet breakfast in The Keg. Unfortunately, our room was small, dark and facing a courtyard. We only realised once we'd checked in to our room that there was no air conditioning and little ventilation and sleeping was a problem, due to the high temperatures. A fan was provided but this was inadequate. No idea why the rooms did not have air conditioning as the reception/restaurant areas appeared to have. The hotel is a 20 minute walk from the centre of Banff but the hotel do provide complimentary vouchers for the local bus.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel and did not realize there was no AC. We were originally placed in the basement floor which we requested to be be moved. Front desk kindly obliged but the room we moved to was not any better. It was really really hot. The manager did try to make things right for us and we left happy with his understanding but looking back I would rather have avoided the hot rooms and moving suites. Maybe if the hotel added ac for during the day or really hot nights. We were really impressed with how clean the rooms were. I think I would stay at thier sister hotel next time since the pool is not really kid friendly since it's a hot pool.

• Stayed July 2014
Fontana, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Summer visit. sufficient parking. clean open lobby with welcoming staff. Room was clean, quiet and good size (King Suite). Some rooms come with a balcony, wish I'd known that ahead of time so that I could have requested one. We had a king size bed that was not very comfortable, unfortunately I could not put my finger on why. It could have been the bedding or the mattress or a combination of both. All I know is that even though I hiked my butt off almost every day I was there and therefore should have slept like baby, instead I tossed and turned most every night.

Keg Steakhouse on the first floor served good food and also had extremely freindly staff.

The hot pool was little disappointing as it was too shallow in every part of it and the first night we used it, it was only about 80 degrees farenheit. There is an adjoining steam room. meh.

Less than mile from the Banff Village Proper. they have bike rentals available.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Independence, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Banff Caribou Lodge for our honeymoon. We paid for the upgraded Mountain View Suite, and we just don't feel like we got our money's worth. When we first checked into the hotel, one of the staircases smelled awful (we avoided that staircase from then on), there was a towel under the fitted sheet for whatever reason, and the shelves and drawers were extremely dusty, as if they hadn't been dusted in several weeks. Additionally, the duvet on the bed was not really appropriate bedding for summer visits, it's far too heavyweight. The duvet inside the cover would not stay in place, resulting in a bunched up duvet at one end and just the duvet cover at the other. After a couple of nights, we just got rid of the duvet and used a blanket that was in the closet downstairs. To compound that, there was no air conditioning, so the room, especially in the loft area, was much warmer than we would have preferred. Giving us a small fan doesn't really solve that problem. I can only imagine what it feels like in the rooms in mid-July.

Additionally, the shower drain drained extremely slowly (resulting in a pool of water in the shower a couple inches deep after a 10 minute shower) and the under-rim of the toilet in the master bathroom was either stained or dirty, but regardless, it did not leave a great first impression. We dusted the shelves ourselves and got rid of the likely dirty towel under sheet, but we notified the front desk THREE TIMES about the shower drain and it never got fixed. We also notified them about the stained toilet but that never was resolved either. I understand the Caribou Lodge isn't a five-star hotel, but I expected these basic things to be taken care of, especially since we were in a suite.

I will say that the spa downstairs and the hot pool were fantastic, and the views were incredible, but overall, we were disappointed with our stay. The first few days of our honeymoon in Vancouver and on the Rocky Mountaineer, we were made to feel special, but that feeling died quickly at the Caribou Lodge.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CaribouFOM, Front Office Manager at Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your detailed review. We have noted and addressed the issues mentioned and have also contacted you in private.
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

I recently spent 2 nights at this lodge and was disappointed. Unfortunately, Banff was hotter than usual and the rooms in this hotel are not air conditioned. We were given 2 fans and left the window opened as well. The room in the evening did not cool down sufficient for us to sleep comfortably. The amenities were very basic but the people working here were helpful and very friendly.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!