This seemed like a charming place when we first checked in, but as our 4 days in Banff progressed, we found less and less to like about the hotel, or at least the room they gave us.
The room had at least two fatal flaws. First, it was too small. It seemed decent sized at first, but as we settled in, we realized it was really quite cramped. A large part of the reason is that we were on the top floor and the the window was a dormer style. This meant it was a small window that jutted out from the roof, and the rest of the outside wall was canted inward along the roof line. This isn't meant to be a comment on design - it really affects the usefulness of the room because the inward sloping wall cuts off use of most of the space on one side of the bed. We couldn't walk there because the ceiling was too low (and we are short people); it was even difficult to set a suitcase on a rack there because opening the lid of the suitcase was impeded by the low ceiling.
The second problem with the room was ventilation. The small dormer window didn't allow much air to move around in the room. This was early June when the temperatures were very cool in Banff -- 50s during the day and 40s at night. Yet the room was always stiflingly hot even with the heat off (there was no air conditioning in the room). The hotel provided us with portable fans that we had to run all night with the window open just to bring in barely enough cool air to keep us comfortable while we slept. I should add that there is no view from this tiny window - just another wall of the hotel so that from the room you would not know you were in one of Canada's most beautiful settings.
A third problem with the hotel is the restaurant, which we never ate at because the prices were high, even for a popular place like Banff.
So to conclude, after 4 days we were more than done with the hotel and were happy to move on. We cannot recommend it after our experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Banff Caribou Lodge is centrally located on Banff Avenue, Banff's main street. It offers the Keg Restaurant, Red Earth Spa (a full service spa), free underground parking, free wifi, fitness room, hot pool and steam room. This lodge type accommodation has a large and inviting lobby to greet you to Banff. Enjoy your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banff Caribou Lodge And Spa
- Banff Caribou Hotel Banff
- Caribou Banff
- Caribou Lodge Banff