My husband and I made a last minute reservation for an overnight stay in early May '13 at the Banff Caribou Lodge. Check in was easy, the two young men at the front desk were very friendly and willing to answer our questions at length. The lobby was beautifully decorated and very welcoming. Parking was great in the underground parking lot with elevator access directly to our floor. The Keg restaurant is located just off of the lobby which is great if you are looking for a nice meal. The hotel is removed from the center of the city, but the bus stop is right outside and we received a pass for the bus that was valid during our stay. We opted to walk into the city area (about five blocks) and it was a lovely stroll on an interesting street with lots to see. After our walk we returned to the hotel and had a delicious desert at the Keg where we had a friendly, attentive server.
Our room was spotlessly clean with comfortable beds and pillows. The bathroom was also clean with nice spa-like amenities. Our room was a standard room with two queens beds on the second floor which was quiet with a nice view.
The only drawback was the fact that there is no air-conditioning in the guest rooms in this hotel. Worse yet, they have air-conditioning in the halls but not in the guest rooms! Our room became so warm that we contemplated opening our door to let some of the air stream in from the hall! I don't know who makes the decision not to have air in guest rooms, but it is the wrong decision in my opinion. Why in the world would you go to the lengths of building a beautiful hotel, put air-conditioning in the halls and cut corners at your guests' expense. We were going to extend our stay but after tossing and turning the entire night, we were up and out early the next morning. I loved everything about this hotel but will not stay again, nor could I recommend it to my friends - an overly warm room is not tolerable under any circumstance. There was a little fan but it was too small to really be effective.
To add insult to injury, the coffee pot was left on and my husband did not notice that it was on. When he poured the water into the back of the pot and started to place the carafe where it belonged, hot water scalded his hand. Assuring that the pot is turned off should be done when the room is cleaned to avoid this type of situation. We did learn a lesson though and checked the pots throughout the rest of our trip!
We enjoyed our time in the Banff area and enjoyed the Caribou Lodge other than the fact that we were uncomfortable while we slept.
- Also Known As:
- Banff Caribou Hotel Banff
- Banff Caribou Lodge And Spa
- Banff Caribou Hotel
- Banff Caribou Lodge
- Caribou Lodge
- Caribou Banff
- Caribou Lodge Banff
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Banff Caribou Lodge is centrally located on Banff Avenue, Banff's main street. It offers the Keg Restaurant, Red Earth Spa (a full service spa), free underground parking, free wifi, fitness room, hot pool and steam room. This lodge type accommodation has a large and inviting lobby to greet you to Banff. Enjoy your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Otel, Olotels, HotelTravel.com and Tingo so you can book your Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.