We stayed at the Caribou Lodge for 5 days in March. Overall, we were very happy with our experience.
There are several things we liked about the Caribou Lodge. First, the hotel was recently renovated so all of the rooms received some nice updating – lighting, wallpaper, bedding, and bathrooms. There was a pool as well, but it was more of a large hot tub then a swimming pool. It has a spa feel to it, rather than a family pool. The Keg restaurant in the hotel offers a buffet and a la carte breakfast. Not only is this convenient, but breakfast was also reasonably priced. The lobby is really warm and welcoming. The staff are very friendly and helpful and there is always a wood fire crackling in the fire place (the smell is awesome!). The hotel is located on Banff Avenue, which is also where the majority of shops and restaurants are located. It is no more than a 10 minute walk from the hotel to this shopping area (and if it’s really cold, it’s an $8 taxi ride). We also really liked that both parking and wifi are free (a rarity at many hotels these days).
The only negative we had – dust and dryness. The dressers had quite a bit of dust build up on them. And the hotel rooms were quite dry, so sleeping was a bit uncomfortable. Having said, it’s hard to find a hotel room that isn’t dry!
Overall, we really enjoyed our experience at the Caribou Lodge. It really is fitting that it is called a lodge, as it is simple, warm, and friendly.
Additionally, some things to do in the snowy months that we really enjoyed:
1. Take the gondola to the top of Sulphur Mountain
2. Drive to Lake Minnewaka (breathtaking)
3. Drive to the Tunnel Mountain Trail and see the Hoodos
4. Enjoy Lake Louise (Morraine Like is also incredible but closed during winter months due to risk of avalanche along the road)
5. DRIVE! You are in a National Park – every road, twist, and turn, takes you to somewhere beyond incredible.
6. Discover Banff Tours is a great company to go with if you are looking for a tour
7. Ski (of course)
8. Eat at the Waldhaus Pub – it’s part of the Fairmont Banff Springs. It was created in 1920 and used to be the old Golf Club House. The top floor is a restaurant (beautiful, but pricey and fine dining). The main floor is a ‘pub’. I use the word pub lightly however because the food is glorified pub food (delicious). And if you get a window with a view – it’s amazing because you look onto the Bow Valley river
9. Eat at the Juniper Hotel's Restaurant - When you pull up, you may question your decision because the hotel looks a bit dated (1950s). But inside, it is beautifully renovated and makes you feel as though you are in a museum. Once you walk into the restaurant and see the views of the mountains, you won't regret it. And the food - outstanding.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Banff Caribou Lodge is centrally located on Banff Avenue, Banff's main street. It offers the Keg Restaurant, Red Earth Spa (a full service spa), free underground parking, free wifi, fitness room, hot pool and steam room. This lodge type accommodation has a large and inviting lobby to greet you to Banff. Enjoy your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Tingo, Otel, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, getaroom.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banff Caribou Lodge And Spa
- Banff Caribou Hotel Banff
- Caribou Banff
- Caribou Lodge Banff