“4 Snowboards Stolen” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa

Save Saved
You added Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa to your Saves list
Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   521 Banff Avenue | Box 1070, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Banff
Sherwood Park, Canada
“4 Snowboards Stolen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

So upon arrival our vehicle with 4 snowboards located in the locked roof rack did not fit in the underground parking. We were advised there were lockers located in the basement to store our boards but further advised by the front counter staff that if they were left locked on the rack overnight there would be NO ISSUES as they have never had issues. We parked the vehicle and snowboards in the parking stall closest to the lobby entrance. Upon returning to the vehicle in the morning all 4 snow boards were stolen and the locks damaged. So I realize that this was ultimately our fault for leaving them there but thought after losing the 4 boards with a value of approximately 800 hundred dollars EACH the lodge would perhaps provide some sort of discount or complimentary...something which was not provided and when asked upon check-out the staff member (not the original one we dealt with) stated there was NO WAY that any of the staff would provide direction to leave them on the roof rack, she was adamant that there was NO WAY that any of the staff would tell us to do that...they did.

The hotel was nice, clean and fresh. Hot tub is located in the basement and is nice - no alcohol permitted. Lesson learned regarding the snowboard theft and that it was ultimately our decision to leave them locked outside...however we were disappointed that the hotel would not give any sort of discount or complimentary ....anything and or admit that anyone may have given us poor advice. Not likely to return merely because of the negative interaction with the staff member upon check-out.

All previous staff dealings were good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Evesham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just returned from 1 week's stay in Banff for skiing. This was our third trip to Banff (first time with our kids) having stayed previously at Irwin's and the Rundle Manor with groups of friends. The hotel met expectations from the brochure info/website and from the moment we arrived there was always a smiling face in reception to help with enquiries etc.
The on site Keg restaurant could not be faulted on food quality or level of service. The servers all had time to chat which made you feel at home and that they were genuinely interested in ensuring a good dining experience. After a long day travelling from the UK our first meal was very enjoyable and I couldn't fault the cooking of steaks (which I enjoyed on 2 occasions!) It is worth asking for the bar menu too as the main menu offered for dinner doesn't include the Nachos starter which are well worth ordering - make sure you add the spicy chicken!
The breakfast buffet is plentiful and a great way to prepare for a long day on the slopes.
Location wise we found the hotel perfect. The ski shuttle stops outside which is really welcome with a family load of skis to handle in the mornings. The Roam bus came in handy for cold evening transfers into the town area but the 15 minute walk back after a big Canadian supper in town is no issue and in fact a good way to walk off dessert! It's also the 3rd stop back from the slopes so being that little bit further out does have it's advantages.
The only criticism I would have is that in a room for 4 people the storage space for clothes is limited. This does mean that by the end of the week things get a little cluttered. Perhaps we pack too much but 6 drawers and a small wardrobe for 4 people was insufficient and therefore our clothes ended up piled on the side as I don't like living out of my luggage.
The bathroom was spotless and an endless supply of hot water helped to soak away tired skiing legs. We only went to the Spa tub once as it was very hot and the kids were not keen however don't let this put you off.
The receptionists were really helpful and gave us recommendations on where to eat in town and even helped with where to get lessons etc. We didn't opt for their private lessons and instead booked via the Ski Hub desk which again is very handily on site. Definitely book kids lessons, rental and lift pass packages for lake Louise as this was the cheaper option compared to Sunshine where packages were not available, and was great advise from the guy on the desk.
All in all a great stay and would recommend the hotel. We may well be back although perhaps with less luggage next time :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
CaribouFOM, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your great comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back again.
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Over christmas my boyfriend treated me to a spa package at the Red Earth Spa. Two days prior I made a reservation and was asked for a credit card number to hold my reservation. On the day I recieved my services, I charged the room. Unbeknownst to me, the hotel failed to charge the proper room. Unobservant of my boyfriend not to notice, but as we stayed numerous nights and ate in the restaurant many times it slipped his attention. Fast foward two months, the hotel realizes its mistake and without my knowledge or authorization charges my card. As a result of this unforeseen charge on my card, my automatic loan payment was not completed and I have now defaulted on a loan payment. When I called the Banff Caribou Lodge after reviewing my statement, they were unable to explain the charge, and forwarded me to the accounting department which was closed for the day. The following day I recieved a call from the accounting department explaining the charge. I am not above paying for the service I recieved, but to charge my card without permission is completely unethical, unprofessional and illegal. I found the spa manager to be defiant in her defense of the process she administered, and found her apology to be lack luster at best. I have had good experiences with Banff Lodgin Co in the past but will NEVER bring my business there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelgmBanff, General Manager at Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
We're sorry to hear that our attempts to contact you regarding our accounting error were unsuccessful. We certainly did not mean to cause any unnecessary hardship in our efforts to correct what is typically a minor error. We will certainly exercise more caution in the future based on your experience and once again apologize for the inconvenience. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss the matter further.
Strathmore, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed her with my 8-year-old daughter and husband for a ski weekend. It completely suited our needs. The room was clean and comfortable and my daughter loved the caribou theme!

The hallways were a bit noisy in the evening and early in the mornings which didn't bother us as we were up early, too, but if you're a late sleeper or have kids that go to bed early, beware.

We tried to go for dinner at the Keg Restaurant which is attached to this hotel, but the wait time was over an hour, so we decided to go down the street to a different restaurant. There are lots of different places to go for dinner in the area, so it wasn't a hassle for us at all. My recommendation would be to book reservations at The Keg earlier in the day to secure your dinner, which I guarantee you will enjoy-we've been to this Keg many times and have had nothing but perfect meals and service, so it's no wonder they are always fully booked!

Front desk staff is lovely and helpful and the hot tub is well maintained and very relaxing.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were looking for a place to stay for the night after a day at the ski slopes. We found this hotel in Banff. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Once checked in, we were told to park in the underground parking lot which can be packed. The lots were quite narrow that could create a problem for big trucks. The lobby has a very nice crackling fireplace that is very cozy and welcoming. The rate per night was $199 which was a little high compared to other similar hotels but I liked the decor which was more modern than other "dated" hotels nearby. When we arrived, we were told that we were going to be upgraded from the standard room. It was a larger corner room with a nice view. The beds were comfortable for double and everything there was quite clean. They also offered free wifi. Although they didn't have a pool, they had a big and luxurious spa which we didn't take advantage of.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was a great hotel to stay @ , we arrived at the caribou lodge around 6;30 pm the front desk staff were very friendly and cheque in and out was fast and great . it's a about 10 minute walk to downtown banff the room was very clean and nice the bed were comfortable and parking is free

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I arrived at the Caribou Lodge on the Banff Airporter Shuttle ( another real good service) and before the driver could even get my luggage to the curbside there was a hotel staff member right there to take my bags inside. The book-in process was quickly done, but not so rushed to leave one in a state of "nodding agreement" and not really understanding all the details. The hotel provided me with a free 3day pass for unlimited travel on the regular bus service ( another efficient operation) after 3 days they simple issued me another complimentary bus pass. I know that not every establishment in Banff provides a bus pass.
The lobby is fab with a large fireplace that is always warmingly welcoming guests from the outdoors. Just off the lobby is a restaurant called The Keg. It is very nice, however I did find the friendly staff to be a little to hurried so some errors were made, but not enough to be a serious problem. Also, off the lobby is a nice cozy lounge, that had managed to give me a friendly welcome with out being overly so. The clientelle was friendly and talkative without being bothersome - I don't know how an establishment achieves that outside of being so good they attract good people. Bar drinks had some of the fairest prices in town, so that was also good.
The rooms are very well appointed, the bathroom is quite large. The beds gave me some of the best sleeps, 5 of them, that I've had in a long, long time. The "blackout" drapes really work. Some mornings I arose thinking that it was still quite early only to be shocked once I opened the drapes to a brightly shining sun. I've seen these types of drapes before but never to this effect- and I was on the bright side of the hotel in the mornings.
I truly enjoyed this establishment and will be returning to stay there during the upcoming summer. Also, I was told that you can reserve you room and if a cheaper offer appears on their website, due to promos and such, just contact them by phone and you'll be given the lesser rate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!