“Lovely place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Johnston Canyon Resort

Save Saved
You added Johnston Canyon Resort to your Saves list
Johnston Canyon Resort
2.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Box 875, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A9, Canada   |
“Lovely place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

It was a long trip and we were grateful to arrive at a decent time.
The cabin we stayed in was wonderful and the location was very good too. It was nice to see the porch light left on for us. The prices were reasonable for the area. Our service was fine and the hours of operation were great.

• Stayed September 2013

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I didn't stay at the Resort but had some ice cream with my family here after the hike to the upper falls (a great easy hike for all ages). My kids had the hard ice cream from the stand located by the trail (2 large scoops for $5) and my wife and I went into the restaurant for a sundae ($4). We all really enjoyed it - especially after the hike. If you want hard ice cream in a bowl, just go inside and they can provide you with a paper bowl that they will fill for you outside at the stand. Based on the great service and ice cream I am sure that the resort is great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Abbotsford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Johnston Canyon cabins for three nights, we rented one of the smallest cabins and it was very peaceful, I would suggest to the resort to add a few shelves and/or hooks in the cabin as I felt we did not have enough storage area. The only complaint I have for the cabin is, I do NOT like the smell of a sour shower curtain. They are pet friendly, but do not have a TV or radio, which we did not mind in the least! It did have a coffee pot and small fridge!
As for the Bridges Restaurant, I do not mind paying $35.00 for a nice dinner, however, if your menu says it is the best Bison Ribeye, then it better be. If Bridges wants to put themselves out there as a "good" restaurant, then they should have linen table clothes, linen napkins (not paper napkins) and the staff should not be running around in jeans and flip flops! You can basically get the same food at the cafe for about $2.00 - 5.00 cheaper per plate, depending on what you order. They use the same dishes, the same food, the same Chef and kitchen. The only difference is the cafe is small and the dinning room is big. I felt completely ripped off eating at Bridges, so ripped off that we went in to town and got sandwich and salad fixings and ate 2 dinners in the cabin, which we enjoyed much better. We did have dessert one night and breakfast on our last morning in the cafe, $8.95 for breakfast, which is very reasonable, exactly the same breakfast in Bridges was $10.95 or $12.95!!
One last thing, quite a few tour buses go to the resort, so if you want to walk any of the trails, do them VERY early in the morning, unless you like crowds, then go anytime.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed in the cabin for our August getaway and found it to be a wonderful place. We had a grand time. The weather was very cooperative. Our cabin was a classic bungalow and suited us very well.
It was located quite close to the hiking trail which made it very convenient to see the waterfalls. The trail can be busy at times. There was a fair bit of wildlife in the area too which was exciting to see in a natural environment. We would have liked to have had 2 keys but that was fine. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I really cannot comment on the cabin as we never seen it, however I do not recommend this resort if you live further than an hour away. We booked back in July and confirmed and a week later changed the date due to work. The staff was friendly about this and confirmed the date. I actually phoned a week prior, again, to the trip and confirmed the date with them as we were driving 500km directly after work and they once again confirmed the date. We had an email directly from an employee from the resort confirming the date as well. The morning of the day we were leaving I confirmed, AGAIN, that we would be arriving late and they assured me it was okay. When we arrived just before 10pm they informed us they had no cabins left. There was something going on in the town so everywhere was booked up , the owner told us to just go back to Banff that it was our best chance. Great, thanks ?!? We finally found a place to stay after about 30mins of phoning around and then the owner 'shoed' us out of the office with his hands ! We were very polite about the entire thing and I was holding back the tears cause I was scared we would be sleeping in the car. I would never recommend this place due to the lack of professionalism. Accidents happen, it is human error, however he handled it very wrong. The young lady was kind and apolojized several times however the owner kept trying to blame the 'internet' as well as us even though we confirmed over the phone and had it in writing from his staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed here for 8 nights in 3 different cabins and didn't like it. The cabins weren't very clean and one was so stinky we asked to change cabins. There were too many mosquitoes outside to enjoy the cabin's frontporch. The food was mediocre. The hiking trail was too crowded.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Our family of 4 recently spent the night at Johnston Canyon after going on the famed canyon hike.
It was a great and very unique experience. Whether you are coming from afar or a lifelong Albertan resident, you will likely appreciate the beauty and simplicity of the Johnston Canyon Resort.
We were very impressed with the cozy quaintness of our cabin. It provided a wonderful air of privacy and escape even though it was just metres away from a busy trail and highway. This is not the cabin for you if you want something spacious and upscale, and be advised that there will be no hair dryer, couch or working TV. But it is well worth it if you want to experience a serene natural setting.
As for the dining, there is both a diner and a restaurant. They both serve the exact same menus for breakfast and lunch, and I would really suggest that you go to the restaurant as you get the exact same food but at a much more relaxed and enjoyable ambience. The food is a little overpriced-you could easily spend as much on sandwiches and burgers as you would on a finer dining experience in Banff. But the food is generally very good. For dinner, the restaurant serves many good meat and seafood dishes. I really enjoyed the Pacific Salmon myself, and the trout dish was a very popular selection.
There is also a gift shop that provides a wide variety of snacks, books, stuffed animals and charming souvenirs.
Overall, I would recommend Johnston Canyon Resort as a destination or stop along the road.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Johnston Canyon Resort? Share your experiences!