“Great View” 4 of 5 stars

and up
Summer Tour: Banff and its Wildlife
Ranked #4 of 64 things to do in Banff
More attraction details
Owner description: Banff National Park's largest waterway.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

It's a wonderful place for boating, picnic or just a walk along the shore line. My dog loved the cold water. View of the blue water against the mountain is really brilliant.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Gauri K

• Korean first
  • Polish first
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Amazing to walk out onto a frozen lake & see divers emerging!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Only 10 minutes drive from Banff township and an amazingly quiet, tranquil spot. Because it was winter the shorter access road was closed to allow wildlife crossing but the alternative road was not much longer.
We walked out onto the frozen lake and spoke to several divers doing their scuba certification - I'd never seen people cutting holes in the ice before and literally jumping in, we even saw a bridal party arriving to have their wedding photos taken!
If you don't want to walk on the frozen lake (it can be slippery and creaks alarmingly in some spots) there are several viewpoints overlooking the lake and shoreline paths as well.
A nice break from the commercialism of Banff township.
It is free to enter, but if you aren't staying in Banff National park already (e.g.coming from Calgary for the day) you will need a national park pass.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank MincePye
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Breath taking scenery! Such a special place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed our winter walk around the lake immensely. Was so romantic and beautiful! Such a beautiful, peaceful and special place! Great in the winter and summer months! A must visit while in banff! Bring snowshoes! Great family trek!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank jcwlpc
Dublin, Ireland
420 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 309 helpful votes
“Enjoyed immensly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was thrilled to see that this place is on TripAdvisor so i can review it, it was a while back, but then I wasn't writing reviews then.
A little story goes with this place for me, I was in Athabasca falls with my family visiting the many sights around. I saw a man walk past me and he had a Lake Minnewanka baseball hat on, being from Dublin, Ireland me and my two sons found this hilarious, as it means something rather rude and immature where we are from. I was being shown around by Canadian relatives who were none too pleased by our jokes and so we had to make a diversion on the way back to Banff to visit said lake.
Upon arriving we thought it was so beautiful, lovely clear blue water and the snow from the Rocky mountains up above melting into it. The weather was so hot that we stripped off, there was no one around so we all jumped in commando. Only a few days earlier we were in a shallow non glacial lake that was nice and warm, and we naturally assumed that Minnewanka was the same, NOOOO!!!! it was FREEZING, even in the middle of July, and not just jump in the sea and get used to it freezing, but the jump in and feel the pain freezing!
Suffice to say, our Canadian hosts had a good chuckle at our expense. Still though, once over the frostbite, i felt extremely refreshed!
Highly recommended as a scenic spot, and very much a must do when touring around the rockys and Jasper national park. Swimming of course, is optional!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank PaddytheBrit
Calgary, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Beautiful drive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This drive around the lake is gorgeous no matter what the weather. Well worth the drive. The day we went was cloudy, but the views were still magnificent.

Visited April 2013