“Lovely hotel in Banff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Banff Springs

Save Saved
You added The Fairmont Banff Springs to your Saves list
The Fairmont Banff Springs
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   405 Spray Avenue | P.O. Box 960, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Save 40% Off This Fall!
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“Lovely hotel in Banff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We spent 2 nights at the Banff Springs in March. We had a Fairmont room in the Stanley Thompson wing. It was a well appointed room with a great view of the mountains. It was quite a hike from the front desk to get there and we did get slightly lost the first time going to the room!

Our room had a king size bed, decent size bathroom and was comfortable for the 2 nights. My only complaint with the room was the heat. It was boiling in our room, even with the heat off completely and the window open. This made it difficult to sleep the first night. The second night we found a fan in the cupboard and had that going all night which made it far more comfortable.

Service at the hotel was good. The hotel switched our rooms around the on our arrival as we travelled with friends, so they were able to accommodate us close together. The only issue we had is we paid by debit the night before we departed for our room and we were overcharged by $50. I'm not sure how this happened and I was too tired to realise at the time. We have since called the hotel and they are refunding this by cheque.

We used the hot tub and pool on our second day and these facilities were great. The outdoor pool was amazing to swim in while it was snowing outside. Definitely a great experience and I would return for that alone!!

Overall it is a beautiful hotel and I'd happily stay there again. We got a great rate and enjoyed the stay. I wish there was a complimentary ski shuttle however like Fairmont Lake Louise. I know the distance is much greater in Banff, but this would have made our trip just that much better.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
We are so sorry to hear of the shortfalls in your stay. A hotel representative will reach out to ensure we do check on this room and that any concern regarding temperature has been addressed.

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Korean first
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

A recent ski trip to Banff brought us to the Fairmont.. a 125 Year old 'castle' in the snow.. very impressive historic hotel that was both a welcoming and warm environment. There was no one there when we arrived or for the duration of our trip.. a nice treat to have the 'castle' to ourselves. Continuing on the good.. the guys in the 'board/ski' storage area were awesome.. friendly, genuine, sincere, helpful and a pleasure to start and end the day with. The hotel is massive and a tour would have been nice - they only offer them on Friday's however and we were gone by then.. too bad. There is lots to see! As a President's Club member (it's free, sign up as it gives you the in room wifi and not much else.. but it's better than nothing) you are treated no differently than any other guest. It's nothing special in other words. The check-in was painfully slow - the staff appeared young and not overly experienced both on the phone and at the front desk. Again - to be clear, the hotel was not busy, no wait, but the staff was slow to check us in. The 'girl' that checked us in actually was no more than 23 and neither excited nor thrilled to see us. She also explained nothing about the hotel and advised us that since we were on a 'group' rate that there would be no Aeroplan points or upgrades available. (nice). From there, the room was fine - not too big, a little tight, and very quiet and clean. The mountain views were amazing but the windows are very small and heck, who looks out anyway?? We were on them boarding and skiing all day. My concerns lie here - first off, when you pick up the phone to ask for the front desk or the Concierge, etc, the young woman that answered the phone was extremely aggressive and intrusive: what are you calling for? .. um, I asked to speak with the Concierge. About what? Can you please put me through to the Concierge? What are you looking to speak to them about? (are you serious?? put me through and stop wasting my time!) btw.. the Concierge were all excellent.., great advice and help.. each and every time we ACTUALLY got to speak with them! Same thing if we called from the room and asked for the Front Desk. What are you calling about? NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS! Put me through and do your job! Considering the hotel was next to empty.. this was actually hilarious after a few times. They also have a couple of BMW Fairmont Cars at the hotel that you see nicely parked out front. They are not for 'guest' use unless you are the King or Queen.. a shame as a 3 min ride to town would have been nice.. even just once. Get rid of the BMW's Fairmont.. they did not impress me. Next.. we knew the hotel had many restaurants to choose from.. but we did not know about a neat little cafe in the front lobby that was fantastic! Great selection of unique things to eat and snack on and again, friendly and helpful staff. Had we been told of this by the 'girl' checking us in, that would have been very good indeed.. we did not discover it until the 2nd last day! And on the last day.. it came and we called to ask for an extra hour on the check out - not a big request in a hotel that was next to empty. We were told by that wonderful woman who answered the phone that we could pay for 1/2 a day if we wanted the extra hour as the hotel was very busy. Are you kidding me?? 6 nights at the Fairmont Banff Springs and you can't extend this wonderful President's Club Member an extra hour?? That was it for us.. so amazing how something so small can upset you so very much. We packed our bags and headed out to Banff for lunch.. forgetting about the hotel and recalling the amazing winter trip at Lake Louise.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to have a mountain view.. so no need to upgrade.. the rooms are quite small, but co...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
At the Fairmont Banff Springs, we want our guests to have outstanding experiences. A hotel representative will be in touch with you soon to discuss your stay.
Wilmington, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

A little late in writing this as we were there over Labor Day weekend 2013. Stayed for four nights and we really enjoyed the hotel. We found Room 872 (considered standard category) to be more than pleasing. Not huge, but well appointed with a large closet that fit all of our things to get them out of the way. This room is on the front of the hotel over the driveway but high enough that there was no noise or distraction from the comings and going below. It had a large window that let the sun in most of the day and we were able to open it for fresh air. Being a historic building, room size is of a past era and the bathroom was small but elegant. The buffet breakfast was great, but even with the vast selection, we grew tired of it after the fourth morning. I have to thank the wait staff, however, who were very happy to make an ice-coffee for me when I requested it instead of hot. A different server each day but each was accommodating and made it to my liking. The only reason I did not give 5 stars is because we were disppointed with the pool area. It was a busy weekend and the outdoor pool was a little small for all the kids and parents tossing balls and water toys around. The indoor pool was larger but we wanted to be outside during the nice weather so but we felt unable to stay long and just imagined such a grand hotel would have a grander pool area. I did a spa treatment one day while my husband went off with a fishing guide and was able to enjoy the spa pool as part of my entry into the spa area. I would highly suggest if you want a grown-up, relaxing pool day or evening, that you pay the fee to get into the spa area and make a day out of it, coming and going as you please. SO relaxing in the indoor mineral pool and waterfalls with a large hot-tub outside on the deck. I was happy I was there when I peeked over the wall to see kids kicking and splashing in a jam packed hotel pool with not one lounge chair to be had. You can use the spa area pools for free all day from open to close if you have a spa treatment booked, or join the free Fairmont rewards program to use just the pool area at a discounted rate. HIGHLY recommend Castello's restaurant on the property. Had dinner there twice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your positive feedback about the newly renovated 8th floor, the Spa experience and dining in the Bow Valley Grill and Castellos. We will share your comments with our teams.

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We were part of a tour, but our room was still amazing! The hotel makes you feel like your have entered another era (Downton Abby - anyone?), but our room in an annex building was totally modern. This place was a special treat, the service outstanding, the town to be revisited (with luck). Enjoyed it even more as it was packaged into our tour.... might not have been so happy if I'd had to actually pay the bill in the morning. Food is expensive in the hotel - plan on going out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, especiallu your guestroom. We will share your feedback with our team.

Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Stayed for three days for a wedding. There was a group of about 30 of us there and it was a lot of fun. The staff were all great - always smiling and helpful - and the place was very comfortable.

The hotel is simply enormous. For a group of our size, it was great. Lots of different areas where we could comfortably all congregate, and we never had to wait to be looked after. However, it was so big that it took me two days to get my bearings and I often had to walk outside between different areas as I'd get lost inside. As a result, while it can certainly be called "spectacular", it can't be called "cosy". So if I was heading to Banff just with my partner or family, I'd definitely choose a smaller and more personal hotel than this one.

While the service was always top notch and food good, the prices were definitely steeper than they should have been. And having to pay to park your car is ridiculous.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay, as did everyone in the group. When I try to think about what really stood out about the hotel though, nothing immediately springs to mind. But maybe that's the secret of its success - it does everything subtly well and provides an easy environment to do what you're really there to do... have fun with your friends...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you very much for your positive review about the wedding you attended. We are pleased to hear that you had engaging service and a fun time with friends. We will ensure your review is shared and we hope you will return.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and also got Married in the Angus room. The service and staff were exceptional the whole time we were there.

When we arrived I was sick, they organised a temporary room so I could have a sleep, I was so grateful. We had a Junior Mountain view suite. The room itself is beautiful and we had amazing views. The bathroom is pretty small. The bed was comfy and the pillows were good! To be honest though unless you need the space, the standard mountain view room is just as good, exactly the same view and cheaper. (the bathroom was the same size as well).

I had room service a couple of times because I was sick, the food was delicious (French onion soup was yum!) but it was pricey (Which was expected). My husband had a dinner in one of the restaurants and it was ok but not great. I'd recommend eating in town, we had an amazing dinner at The Bison, both upstairs and downstairs. The Banff Brewing Co was also good.

Just quickly on the wedding, we were in the Angus room, it was a small wedding there was only 13 people but we all had an absolutely amazing time. The staff were fun, helpful and really supportive on the day. I was so amazed and grateful for their help and organisation. Fab day!

Bus costs $2 each way into town, it isn't a lot really but a bit much for such a short drive. Also we got a bus pass for free from Hidden Ridge Resort, which you don't get at Banff Springs.

Pros: Great staff, amazing service and a beautiful hotel.
Cons: Pricey.

We had an amazing time and will come back as it has special meaning for us. But if we were staying for a long time we would probably stay somewhere else as well just because of the price.

Room Tip: Standard Mountain View room is a good size with a stunning view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for choosing to spend it with us!
We will share your feedback with our team. All the best for many happy years together.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed in a Stanley Thompson (ST) mountain view suite for 3 nights for my sisters wedding.
The wedding itself was wonderful and the staff were excellent.
The hotel is beautiful, definitely a castle feel!
Close to the hot springs, Banff town and Gondola.

Cons:
The ST building is quite a walk from the main building! It is also older (I felt the furniture in our room needed an update) and not as high as the main building (so the view wasn't as extensive). There was a spot for a fire place in the room but not even a pretend fire in there- I was a bit disappointed!
I also got to see a junior mountain view suite (surprised at the TINY bathroom) and a standard room (nicely appointed).

This resort is expensive. Breakfast and incidentals were even more than the Chateau at Lake Louise! But we were expecting that and took nibbles/drinks with us.
Didn't think much of the restaurants. I'd recommend going into town- the Bison (up and down stairs) is excellent as well as the Banff Ave Brewing co.

Previously we stayed at the Hidden Ridge Resort (see other TA post) and we were given free transit cards to use the buses around Banff. Unfortunately FBS doesn't offer these. The bus is $2 each way- it doesn't seem much but it's not a long ride and you need to make sure you have correct change.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay but it will be a once off for a special occasion. If we do get back to Banff we would stay somewhere that was better value for money.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you. We appreciate your honest and candid feedback which will be shared appropriately with our team. We are pleased that you enjoyed your family event!

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Been to The Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!