“Standard Category Room 872 was great!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Banff Springs

You added The Fairmont Banff Springs to your Saves list
The Fairmont Banff Springs
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   405 Spray Avenue | P.O. Box 960, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
ULTIMATE GOLF VACATION
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wilmington, MA
“Standard Category Room 872 was great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

A little late in writing this as we were there over Labor Day weekend 2013. Stayed for four nights and we really enjoyed the hotel. We found Room 872 (considered standard category) to be more than pleasing. Not huge, but well appointed with a large closet that fit all of our things to get them out of the way. This room is on the front of the hotel over the driveway but high enough that there was no noise or distraction from the comings and going below. It had a large window that let the sun in most of the day and we were able to open it for fresh air. Being a historic building, room size is of a past era and the bathroom was small but elegant. The buffet breakfast was great, but even with the vast selection, we grew tired of it after the fourth morning. I have to thank the wait staff, however, who were very happy to make an ice-coffee for me when I requested it instead of hot. A different server each day but each was accommodating and made it to my liking. The only reason I did not give 5 stars is because we were disppointed with the pool area. It was a busy weekend and the outdoor pool was a little small for all the kids and parents tossing balls and water toys around. The indoor pool was larger but we wanted to be outside during the nice weather so but we felt unable to stay long and just imagined such a grand hotel would have a grander pool area. I did a spa treatment one day while my husband went off with a fishing guide and was able to enjoy the spa pool as part of my entry into the spa area. I would highly suggest if you want a grown-up, relaxing pool day or evening, that you pay the fee to get into the spa area and make a day out of it, coming and going as you please. SO relaxing in the indoor mineral pool and waterfalls with a large hot-tub outside on the deck. I was happy I was there when I peeked over the wall to see kids kicking and splashing in a jam packed hotel pool with not one lounge chair to be had. You can use the spa area pools for free all day from open to close if you have a spa treatment booked, or join the free Fairmont rewards program to use just the pool area at a discounted rate. HIGHLY recommend Castello's restaurant on the property. Had dinner there twice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
We appreciate your positive feedback about the newly renovated 8th floor, the Spa experience and dining in the Bow Valley Grill and Castellos. We will share your comments with our teams.

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
  • Korean first
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We were part of a tour, but our room was still amazing! The hotel makes you feel like your have entered another era (Downton Abby - anyone?), but our room in an annex building was totally modern. This place was a special treat, the service outstanding, the town to be revisited (with luck). Enjoyed it even more as it was packaged into our tour.... might not have been so happy if I'd had to actually pay the bill in the morning. Food is expensive in the hotel - plan on going out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, especiallu your guestroom. We will share your feedback with our team.

Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Stayed for three days for a wedding. There was a group of about 30 of us there and it was a lot of fun. The staff were all great - always smiling and helpful - and the place was very comfortable.

The hotel is simply enormous. For a group of our size, it was great. Lots of different areas where we could comfortably all congregate, and we never had to wait to be looked after. However, it was so big that it took me two days to get my bearings and I often had to walk outside between different areas as I'd get lost inside. As a result, while it can certainly be called "spectacular", it can't be called "cosy". So if I was heading to Banff just with my partner or family, I'd definitely choose a smaller and more personal hotel than this one.

While the service was always top notch and food good, the prices were definitely steeper than they should have been. And having to pay to park your car is ridiculous.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay, as did everyone in the group. When I try to think about what really stood out about the hotel though, nothing immediately springs to mind. But maybe that's the secret of its success - it does everything subtly well and provides an easy environment to do what you're really there to do... have fun with your friends...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you very much for your positive review about the wedding you attended. We are pleased to hear that you had engaging service and a fun time with friends. We will ensure your review is shared and we hope you will return.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and also got Married in the Angus room. The service and staff were exceptional the whole time we were there.

When we arrived I was sick, they organised a temporary room so I could have a sleep, I was so grateful. We had a Junior Mountain view suite. The room itself is beautiful and we had amazing views. The bathroom is pretty small. The bed was comfy and the pillows were good! To be honest though unless you need the space, the standard mountain view room is just as good, exactly the same view and cheaper. (the bathroom was the same size as well).

I had room service a couple of times because I was sick, the food was delicious (French onion soup was yum!) but it was pricey (Which was expected). My husband had a dinner in one of the restaurants and it was ok but not great. I'd recommend eating in town, we had an amazing dinner at The Bison, both upstairs and downstairs. The Banff Brewing Co was also good.

Just quickly on the wedding, we were in the Angus room, it was a small wedding there was only 13 people but we all had an absolutely amazing time. The staff were fun, helpful and really supportive on the day. I was so amazed and grateful for their help and organisation. Fab day!

Bus costs $2 each way into town, it isn't a lot really but a bit much for such a short drive. Also we got a bus pass for free from Hidden Ridge Resort, which you don't get at Banff Springs.

Pros: Great staff, amazing service and a beautiful hotel.
Cons: Pricey.

We had an amazing time and will come back as it has special meaning for us. But if we were staying for a long time we would probably stay somewhere else as well just because of the price.

Room Tip: Standard Mountain View room is a good size with a stunning view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for choosing to spend it with us!
We will share your feedback with our team. All the best for many happy years together.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a Stanley Thompson (ST) mountain view suite for 3 nights for my sisters wedding.
The wedding itself was wonderful and the staff were excellent.
The hotel is beautiful, definitely a castle feel!
Close to the hot springs, Banff town and Gondola.

Cons:
The ST building is quite a walk from the main building! It is also older (I felt the furniture in our room needed an update) and not as high as the main building (so the view wasn't as extensive). There was a spot for a fire place in the room but not even a pretend fire in there- I was a bit disappointed!
I also got to see a junior mountain view suite (surprised at the TINY bathroom) and a standard room (nicely appointed).

This resort is expensive. Breakfast and incidentals were even more than the Chateau at Lake Louise! But we were expecting that and took nibbles/drinks with us.
Didn't think much of the restaurants. I'd recommend going into town- the Bison (up and down stairs) is excellent as well as the Banff Ave Brewing co.

Previously we stayed at the Hidden Ridge Resort (see other TA post) and we were given free transit cards to use the buses around Banff. Unfortunately FBS doesn't offer these. The bus is $2 each way- it doesn't seem much but it's not a long ride and you need to make sure you have correct change.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay but it will be a once off for a special occasion. If we do get back to Banff we would stay somewhere that was better value for money.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you. We appreciate your honest and candid feedback which will be shared appropriately with our team. We are pleased that you enjoyed your family event!

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Pro’s:

Friendly staff

Amazing food – Castello restaurant is superb, and Erick the Manager was so friendly and welcoming when we arrived at the desk, that it made the whole experience even more enjoyable. What a great guy. Can someone make him the hotel manager?
Bow Valley Grill – great service, and great food. Thanks to Emma and Nick who made us feel so welcome, and were so friendly. Please give them a promotion straight away.

Architecture – stunning, beautiful hotel with so much history. The lounges are fabulous. We had a lovely drink with some brilliant live music (the jazz musician with the electric guitar is a genius) in the Rundle bar.

Great Views. Go for the views at the back as they are nicer than Sulphur mountain, not that these were bad of course, but be prepared to pay extra for the back views.

Con’s:

Parking is $25 per night. But you have no option, you can park in the street for 4 hours max for free, but only 40 spaces and they are all usually taken up. The multi-storey car park next to the hotel is huge, there must be 400 cars parked there each paying $25 you can do the maths! It’s a complete rip-off. So what do you do, you really do need a car as the hotel is miles from a ski slope, and you cannot park for free anywhere within a 15 minute walk! I refused to pay for car parking, and I suggest you do to.

Arrival – just horrible, a long queue of traffic to get to the front door when we first arrived so we turned around and went back into Banff and had some food. We came back later, and still a queue but not as bad. Then you get hit with the “you can park your car in the car park for $25 per night, or $35 valet parking”. Not good.
Check-in: horrible. Two front desk staff serving so many people, and it was New Years Day – did someone not realise the hotel would be busy and get extra staff to cover (see photo)? The good news is that Elke was great, she changed our room to one with a better view, and was really professional and polite. It made the awful experience a bit better.

Spa – no idea we did not even see it. You have to pay $69 to use it before 4pm, and $49 thereafter. There is a free pool which is impressive though, very big, so good for lane swimmers. The outside pool is great too, very hot. Of course they are both very busy as the hotel is so large. I don’t know what the solution is with the spa, as if they didn’t charge, everyone would want to use it. It’s a bit of a no-win situation for guests. Perhaps offer every guest one free spa access during their stay?

Price – very expensive, and lots of extras (Spa, parking, bowling at $49 per lane per hour). Everything is geared towards charging you extras.

Wifi – you get charged the first day, then sign up to the President’s club for free WiFi. Yes most hotels just give you free WiFi, but not here. Elke the receptionist was great she actually told us she would remove the charge of the WiFi on check-out.

Breakfast - had it once, and was very nice, but again its so expensive!

Summary:

The Banff Sprints Hotel is built for people with a lot of money, and people who do not care about spending lots of it. It’s a huge hotelopolis with 700 rooms, expensive shops, masses of people, queuing cars, and they don’t really cater for the individual. Its beautiful but stuffy. Some really good positives with the hotel too (views, food, brilliant staff), but I think the main thing is that I just could not afford to stay in this hotel with all these extra charges. If you are just able to afford to stay here, then don’t, as the extras will double your bill. Try the Fox instead, its a fantastic stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for visiting from the UK. We appreciate the honest feedback and certainly do want to use it constructively. We will reach out in person to you to understand the dates in which you stayed and what we can learn from this.

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Amazing, amazing, amazing. Such a spectacular setting. Disclaimer, I was there for a work trip with my husband so we weren't coming out of pocket but I can't imagine a nicer hotel. The pool at the spa there is the "happy place" I go to in my mind. Such a special place and I hope I get to go back someday.

Room Tip: We had a corner room that overlooked the river that was stunning. It may have been smaller than othe...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us and for visiting from Atlanta. We hope to see you again and thank you for choosing The Fairmont Banff Springs.

Been to The Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!